Minimizing the luck factor

Discussion in 'Metal Detecting' started by Bobpaul, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Just like fishing, doing the research and a visual recon will help plenty.

The best finds on a beach are found where the waves beat the stuff off of people. That water force is awesome.

Go to any beach with a good population of people and watch were they play around in the water. Take notice of where they set up blankets and towels to just sunbathe.

That's where they loose things, and throw their trash.Trash is not always a bad thing. It shows people have been there and set up for a time. Although when you find it, pick it up and discard it later. Several items, rings, coins, other types of jewelry, were found amongst several poptops.

Take notice of the high water line and try to hit the beach at a lowtide mark. People will set up above the highwater line and then again as the tide retreats to about 15' to 20' towards the water.

The tide and weather play a large part in where I'll hunt a beach. When the tides out, your hits will be few and far between, but what you do hit will usually be good.

As the tide comes in, it will break away sand at the high water mark and roll it out. A very good strip of sand to hunt, and above the break.

If I know a storm has hit an area the day before, causing people to hurry up and run for cover, I'll hunt that beach.

Don't try to hunt the whole beach, not enough time in a month to do that. Set it in your mind to cover an area, then do it. Picking the right spot is eliminating the luck factor. As you hunt, place refference markers like just scratching the sand, or where someone is. Grid out the place in your mind as to where the more likely finds might be. then cover that area and watch your refference points to keep from covering the same area over and over.

You can also go to the low water mark and hunt the beach parallel to the incoming or outgoing tide. It'll keep you from covering your path twice.

When you hunt low tide, people will be playing farther out and you ain't going there with what you have, but realize that people were where you're at when the tide was in and be satisfied with what you find.

You'll also need a machine that's compatible with the mineralized salt water and wet sand. If it's not, then just stay in the dry area. You'll keep busy.

Tools for beach hunting for me. consist of a beach scoop that'll turn over a 6" diameter by 8" deep plug of wet sand. It's heavy sand and you'll need a tool that'll break it out. Then I carry a home made sand sifter to quickly locate the target, cover the hole, and move on. I also have a lanyard to tie the machine to my belt in case there's a deep target and I need to dig in a hurry, and need two hands to throw out the sand before a wave comes in. these lanyards can be found in the trash along the beach. Broken boogie boards and surf boards thrown away with the lanyard and velcro still attached. Just cut it off with the knife you carry. Attach it to the detectorshaft with tie wraps and then with the velcro thingy to your belt.

Pics of the sifter. It works and it's quicker than a pinpointer.

Attached Files:

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    One more thing; Be aware of the children. They'll be interested in your finds. Don't let them follow you too far. If their parents aren't watching them, as many don't, get in their face about it and make them aware of the possible dangers of wierdo metal detectorists such as yourself,:lol:

Wear headphones also to keep that annoying beep to yourself.

3. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    Great post, Bob. It will certainly help out the newcomers to metal detecting.