Mini-Revolver

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by whodaman, May 9, 2008.

1. whodaman

whodaman New Member

State:
    Des Moines Iowa
  2. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I carried one (.22mag) as a back up pocket gun for 20 years. Broke the trigger spring and sent it in to NAA and they put a new spring, firing pin, grips etc for nothing and sent it back in a week. It split my lower thumb knuckle open almost every time I shot it.

I swapped out for a KelTec .32 then for the newer KelTec P3AT .380 a few years back. Best pocket gun I've found. Light, small, flat in your pocket and with the newer ammo available effective. Small cal but I've always believed the best gun is the one you have on you.

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I allways thought they were 'Cute' I have a Jennings stainless 22 I carry if need be. Cant see the minis are worth the price of a better slightly bigger side arm,But this is my opinion.

4. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    You must have had the older model.I have one I know I bought over 25 years ago that did the same thing.It has the old cylinders without the notches.The newer one is over 20 years old and has been carried daily.No problem what so ever with it.I have the older small hardwood grips that I like for concealment.I have small hands and I believe this helps.I believe the smaller hands grip it better and the larger the worst.I found the opposite with my Ruger Super Blackhawk and had to come up with a smaller grip for my wife and I.

.Now I have experimented with mine and others.My barrel length is 1 5/8 inches.With the same ammo,it penetrated farther than the 1 1/8 inch barrels but less than the longer barrels as is to be expected.What is surprising is that the brands of ammo made a lot of difference in how much farther!It also made a difference with the lengths.This also changed with the same brands and names with time!I do believe that manufactures change the makeup of their ammo with out changing the name of the particular ammo.Sometimes for the worst,sometimes for the best.It is unbelievable how much difference 1/2 inch in barrel length did make with some brands/names and how little with others.

I have found the magnum cylinders to be much more flash and very little,to none,to actually less penetration with one brand.I found them less accurate and key holing with any distance in some.Now the shot shells with more shot are a advantage with the magnum cylinders.I Found it is also a great night blinder and fire starter with the magnums because of the Muzzle flash.

I personally love mine as it is always there in my pocket.It will never replace my Charter Bulldog,nor will the Bulldog replace it!.Both are guns to be carried for "in case of need" and shot occasionally to keep familiar.I have no idea how long either would hold up to daily shooting like my Ruger Single Six or Super Blackhawk did.They were made to conceal.Mine have done their job and the one flaw that I found,I found corrected in the second one I bought.

Now,I bought my second one while owning a both Rugers.I bought them both for concealment.I have no use for the other model guns as I feel the adjustable sights and big grips are a hindrance to concealment.I did not say that I did not like them.I do! I just do not have a use for them.For a shooter out of the whole bunch,I liked the "Mini-Master" with it's adjustable sights and 4 inch barrel.I think it would make a good tackle box or a very basic survival gun.Now I have not tried the magnums in one of these.

As I said,I love mine.It lives with and is a part of me 24 hours a day except when I am nude(no joke).It has spent the weekend wet with me in my pocket with no other shelter as it was summer several times.It has swam the river with me and waded the swamp.It still fired after I shook the water out.I sealed my ammo because of this use and it fired.CAUTION!Check the barrel for leaches after immersion.This is from experience!

I wish everyone I loved carried one.

I Love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

5. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    we call those 'pocket protectors'. i think i'd rather have the ol .45 or .357 on me, but one of those would be fun to have for the novelty of it.

6. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thats a wild looking hand gun right there, looks like a good little pistol to carry around in your pocket, and that handle on that pistol is the wildest looking handle I believe I have ever seen on a hand gun.

7. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Id save my money,you can get something better for the money.They are not very accurate.

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    They aren't made to be accurate. You can't beat them for a good get off me gun. I have carried one for 20 years and have used mine twice. You use that weapon to shove up into the rib cage and drop the hammer, its not made to take to the range to see how many you can put in the bulls eye. I also carry a larger weapon but I can get to this opne and have it cocked and fired before most han unholster a larger weapon.

9. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'd rather have an 870 pump alternating slugs and OO buck when something goes wrong. But I might look a little kooky going into Lowes with it. Best gun to have is the one you have on you. The .22 mag is the close up weapon of choice for the Israeli Massad (Israeli Secret Service) not a novelty for them. I have a .40 Glock carry weapon but it's not always practical to carry. The last time you were at McDonald's did you have a .45 on you? Probably not. At least I'm sure not all the time. What if an armed robbery went down and they ordered you and your kids in the freezer and to lay down?

Most situations that would require their use would be under 1 yd. I'm cutting the grass in 80 degree weather I have a piece. Walking the dog at the park with the wife I have a piece. Eating at McDonald's I have a piece. Stuff happens when you least expect it not usually when you know you are gonna be in a bad neighborhood and slipped a holster on. Accurate at over 10 yards no! I run maybe 50 rounds through mine twice a year at a body mass size target 2- 3 yards away, and not using the site just instinctively. I spend more time cleaning dust bunnies out of it monthly. God help me that I never need it but it's there if I do.

Pocket guns I consider back up guns. Much better than a rock. Just my opinion and probably worth what I'm charging for it.

10. catman fl

catman fl New Member

State:
    fl
    most of the time I carry a kaltec 32 with gold dots. If I need a biggger gun I go to my glock 17 with gold dots. most of the time the range is between 5 to7 yds.
    catman fl

11. Txbluecatman

Txbluecatman Member

State:
    Texas
    I've got a keltec .380 for my daily back up fire arm. My primary is my glock 22 with hornady tap ammo or my modified colt commander also loaded with hornady tap ammo.

12. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    All of my finished wood pistol grips and long arm wood is TOTALLY covered and waxed with TURTLE WAX Super hard Shell liquid car wax.I use pipe cleaners and bore mops on a cleaning rod to get the wax in tight places like screw holes and butt stock holes.I do them 3 times between overnight drying the first time and buff between on finished surfaces.I then do it again yearly.This completely waterproofs your wood.

All of my Oiled wood is either Tung oiled or Boiled Linseed Oil according to the original oil.All leather and Canvas is repeatedly drenched and dried with Thompson's Water Seal until you do it and the Thompson's runs off like water off of glass.Works great on leather boots inside and out.You just have to dry the final time several weeks until the oder is gone to get the mineral base carrier completely gone and leave the paraffin.I hunted and worked Canoe trails in the Okefenokee Swamp with a pair of leather steel toe "Loggers Boots" for seven years.These boots worked from daylight to dark submerged for 3 days straight many times and stayed wet off and on year round doing this.I bought them in 1982 and they are still in "good" shape as are my leather and canvas military slings along with knife sheaths.

All of this has worked for me.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

13. AlaCatter

AlaCatter New Member

State:
    alabama
    The NAA's are great little guns for there purpose. Someone makes an excellent pocket holster for them with a clip for the watch pocket. I forget who. We normally sell the .17, .22lr, and .22 mag used for $125-175 and new for around $200. The Kel-Tec others have mentioned are great guns as well, and they come in a wide array of colors (so that you won't clash). The Kel-Tec is probably the least expensive, dependable gun on the market. We currently employ several as counter guns around the shop. If you do get the NAA remember to keep the hammer laid down in the notch between the bullets for safer carry. Stay far away from Jennings, Davis, SunDance,and RG. These are disposable weapons that I would not want to depend on if the situation arose.

14. brinley45cal

State:
    kentucky
    Id rather not have to be that close to hit someone with it if you know what i mean.If your that close that you can stick it in there ribs they are close enough to stick something in yours.

15. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I fully agree with the above comment 100%.The above situation is exactly what they are made for.For those who have the gift of being able to judge such situations before they happen,there is no reason for them to ever happen.For those who believe that they do have the gift and don't,there is always the cemeteries to reside in along side those who were saving their money for a better weapon while it happened to them.

Now some folk like Bubbakat just had the job to put them in such a situation.They had the intelligence to prepare for it.They survived it by having the weapon available to use,not by saving for a better one.Bubbakat is a well trained "Professional".To listen to such and "Hear" is often a lifesaving experience.To ignore such can result in our death.The choice is ours.

I was once trained to do more damage with a knife inside of arms reach than most any firearm,yet I carried one of these little firearms for years along with a 44,a knife and other pistols.I have even carried it with a BB gun.I have carried it along with over 50 different types guns at one time or another.I have carried it along with a loaded 50 round mag inserted into a semi auto military rifle.I had a spare loaded 50 round mag on me.I have never felt the urge to leave it behind.I have legally carried 5 pistols at once for defensive purposes.It was one of them.These little guns can also be made to kill by hitting your pinkie.Killers have used such for many years to avoid failures.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

16. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill

That is why they call it close quarter combat. I won't go into detail but that little pocket rocket has pulled my bacon out of the fire on more then one occasion.

17. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    The wife and I each carry one of these (the short .22 version). Lots of undercover law enforcement folks carry these for backups. Several years back these lil gems came out on top in a popular survey as the most effective handgun to carry for self protection. These reason is that because of it's size you're much more apt to have it on your person if the occasion ever arises that you need a gun NOW (sure, the .357 mag is much to be preferred, but it doesn't do you much good if it's back at the truck under the seat). I carry mine everywhere at all times.

18. brinley45cal

State:
    kentucky
    Hey thats all that matters bro.Any pistol is better then a rock.I have had people ask me what i thought the best pistol was for defense,i told them the one thats in your hands when the shooting starts lol.:wink:

19. wildlife

wildlife New Member

State:
    SW PA
    A friend of mine carries the NAA 22 mag and had to use it once. It punched through the mugger's shoulder blade.

They are well made guns and NAA has excellent customer service.

I agree they are not target guns and are designed as "bad breath" guns.

Their effective range...if you can smell his breath, their in range.