Mini bassboat

Discussion in 'Boating' started by KsPete, Jan 27, 2007.

1. KsPete

KsPete New Member

State:
    Hutchinson, Kansas
    Despite the possibility of being laughed off this forum with my first post, I'm going to ask anyway -- Does anyone here use a mini bass boat for catfishing? I bought one today. It's a 10-footer. I primarily fish for bass, but also like to fish for cats, crappie and sunfish. I realize you probably can't use one in a fast current or on larger lakes (especially on windy days), but they're supposed to be nearly unsinkable and pretty stable for such a small boat. I fish mostly the smaller state lakes here in Kansas and only occasionally the reservoirs. I'll be using a 36lb thrust trolling motor and a 3.9 outboard. I haven't been fishing much the last couple of years and I missed it, so this year, my New Year's resolution was to go fishing a lot more often.

2. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    welcome to the brotherhood . what part of kansas are you from?

3. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    i was gunna buy a 10 foot coleman bass classic and now im kickin myself in the rear for not buying it. they had em down to $450 at gander mountain during the day after thnaksgiving sale. i was gunna get it to go lake hopping for channels, bluegill, and crappie. there 170 pounds with a 600 pound max cap. which was, after i added everything in my head, about 40 pounds over what me my buddy both our gear and the cooler would weigh. now there back up to $600 and im not gunna buy one until i see a good deal on one somewhere. anyways welcome to the family:tounge_out:

4. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Welcome to the BOC Dale.
    There are no bad questions.
    Ask away and enjoy.

5. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    You need a lighter buddy.:big_smile:

6. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    im big but hes bigger, lol together we weigh about 460, im 200 of it and hes the rest. thats what that good indiana corn will do to ya:big_smile:

7. KsPete

KsPete New Member

State:
    Hutchinson, Kansas
    Thanks for the welcome. CatfishHateMe, I bought mine at Dick's Sporting goods in Wichita. It was originally $719.99, marked down to $575.99, probably trying to clear them out to make room for new models. This one has an aerated livewll and a battery compartment/storage area. It's rated for a max of 600 lbs. Dafin, I live north of Hutchinson. The state lakes we fish mostly are Kingman, McPherson and Pratt. Occasionally, I like to go to Cheney or Kanapolis reservoirs. During the warmer months, my folks and my sister and her husband go camping and fishing nearly every weekend (exclusively at state lakes). My folks are in their mid-70s, so if I want to spend more time camping/fishing with my them, I'd better git 'er done. My dad still gets around pretty good, though. He pulls a Bass Tracker Panfish behind his fifth wheel.

8. IamMike

IamMike New Member

State:
    Ohio (near cincy)
    I have a twelve footer that I bought used. Its a Sand Piper and I believe it was made in the early eighties. I has a live well, battery storage, and trailer. I use a 30lb thrush trolling motor and a 3.9 HP outboard. I've used it on smaller lakes with ten horse limits but never a river.

9. skerzfan

skerzfan New Member

State:
    Hastings, NE
    I've had a 10 foot BassHound 10.2 for more than 10 years now. I've caught hundreds of catfish and every other species around here. It fits in the back of my pickup and been hauled to interstate lakes, irrigation canals, sandpits, ponds and dozens of other spots a bigger boat can't get to. There's a lot of 5 mph limit, no wake or all electric lakes that its ideal for. You don't need a boat ramp to launch it, but you may need to get wet to do it. Just find a stretch of shore you can drag it down to.

For years it was electric trolling motor power only, but I finally got a Brigg & Stratton 5 hp outboard for it a couple years ago. I've been on Kirwin, and Sebelius down in KS in it and Red Willow, Maloney, Merrit, Elwood, Ogallala, Branched Oak up here in NE. Some fair sized resevoirs. Just be careful and watch the weather and keep an eye on where you're need to head if the wind kicks up. Of course the added outboard increased my range by a large margin.

It's provided me and my family with countless memories, a ton of fun, and a few anxious moments. I got a bigger boat but I still intend to get plenty of use out of my old reliable little boat.

10. iowacatter

iowacatter New Member

State:
    Iowa
    KsPete and Jayson, my fishing buddy and I have a 10.4ft Bass Tender that we use in farmponds, when we get a chance. I am in no way recomending going over the Manufacturers rating, I will just say that the two of us, without cooler, gear, or so much as 1 hook would be over 600 lbs. and we have used it for about 10 yrs now. It's a good stable boat, and we arent, in the least bit worried while we are fishing out of it, with all our gear and a livewell full of water!

That said, Please, please, please where your life jackets while on the water! We want you back safely!!

11. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I've got a 10' Bass Raider with a 40# thrust troller on it. Its real stable and gets around real good. I use it primarily for strip pits and the smaller lakes in my area. My wife and I fish it at least a couple times a week. Its geat for throwing in the truck and taking off. Anyone who would laugh at a guy doing what he loves in a smaller boat ( be it because it fits the bill for the water in his area, or because its all he can afford ) has got issues. I plan on buying a 16' river jon next month, but I'm not going to get rid of my lil boat. Its too convienient. Get a lil one, get a big one, get your butt on a bank,,,,just go fishin. Good luck !

12. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    i have a 8 ft. that I use on small lakes and pounds Its a one person boat:smile2: