mini 14 target rifle???

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by derbycitycatman, Aug 30, 2008.

1. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Well another gun show is coming thru town and I feel money burning in my pocket. Ive been busting my hump lately and want to treat myself to something. Ive always been interested in the ranch rifles but I want a better accuracy even though I know I could hunt with it. Has anyone shot one of these target rifles and does the difference in accuracy compare to the added cost between a blued ranch to a target stainless model? I may be open to other 223 tack drivers too if anyone has any suggestions.

2. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Just the idea of spending a bunch of money doing things to a Ranch Rifle that Ruger should have done before it went out the door flies all over me.

I love my Rugers, all of 'em, but not because of their accuracy.:sad2:

3. Mark R.

Mark R. New Member

State:
    Rush Springs, OK
    I would put my money in a AR and have a good shooter right out of the box.

4. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    I think these "target" rifles may be fairly new, they arent your normal ranch rifle. They are target rifles from the factory, all I should have to do is put a scope on her. I may go the AR route since ive shot a few and liked them. Heck I may just save the money and spend a little on accessories for my 9mm and maybe a scope for my 22 target pistol.

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Brian,From all I've read about ARs they are getting a name in the accuracy Dept. I'd go with a bull bbl,They are made in a wide array of calibers now,243,308,6.8rem. as well as a few others I think. They alsi offer bull bbls something that enhances accuracy alot ,ruger dont.

6. catfishsafari

catfishsafari New Member

State:
    missouri
    For what it's worth. I have both and if your looking for an accurate rifle go with the AR. I have never seen any Mini 14 shoot well. Over 10yrs in law enforcement and Owning a rifle range where we taught sniper school I have seen both many times. The Mini 14 can't compete with the AR. However they are a fun plinker.

7. Tadpole

Tadpole New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Hay derbycitycatman.

If you lived in the Atlanta area I have a good one I could be talked into selling, it is a colt delta H-bar the best group I have shot with it was a 5 shot group at 100 yds that measured .373 of an inch center to center. These were supposedly built in colt custom shop and were said to be top of the line target rifles.

8. catfishjon

catfishjon New Member

State:
    texas
    Take the advise of the previous hunters and get the AR with a heavy barrel in the caliber of your choice. You can make anything shoot accurately if you spend enough money on it, but you will be bucks ahead to go buy the AR. It will deliver accuracy right out of the box. Catfishjon