Mini 14 223

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by slabmaster, Jul 8, 2008.

1. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    i bought a new to me 1976 mini14 today. cal.223. the rifle is about 85%-90% . i have never owned a .223 cal. weapon. intended purpose is plinking , plugging varments and other useful things . if anyone has input on the round or the weapon fire away. i am interested to know if all available bullet weights will stabalize in the ruger ranch rifle. loaded ammo i have seen at midway varies from 40 to 77 grains.

2. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    If it's the original barrel, try a 45-55gr bullet.
    The rifleling is too slow for the heavier bullets.
    Also check to see how tight it is. If it's a loose fit('76 without any work, it will be loose), you'll be lucky to have a rifle that might be 25yd elephant accurate.
    Get the action tightened up and also have the trigger worked on.

If you can get the money saved up, send the rifle to these guys.
    Accuracy Systems Inc.

When I get me another Mini-14, I will be getting it from ASI.
    They make some great long distance coyote accurate rifles.

:004:

Attached Files:

3. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Talk to Richard. '223reload' his handle on here. Im sure he will find this post tho.

4. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Thanks guy, I think I check these guys out!

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Rex,Will summed it up pretty well. The mini 14s arent known for any kind of out of the box accuracy,if you want a tackdriver type rifle ,forget it without spending some bucks on a place like Will said. as for bullet weights,You need to research which rifling twists are better suited for which weights,I know bullets in the 45-55 are the norm,I tried to use some 65 gr softpoints in my 223 a long time ago to use on pronghorn, they wouldn't stabilize in my gun at all.

6. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    My boss bought his son a 223 single shot. Last year i nailed a coyote at over 150 yards with it, and was amazed when i seen where the bullet hit. Exactly on the point of it's shoulder where i had aimed. I'm sold on the caliber but never shot one of the rifles you mentioned Rex.

7. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    I bought a mini the first year they came out and another in the mid 70's for my son. That one is scoped and shots a 5 shoot 1 1/4 inch group at a 100 yds. We have 3 Remington 788 223 and all shoot approx 1/2 groups if we do our part. And a Ruger #1 heavy barrel and a Remington bolt action heavy barrel are both tack drivers in 223. And one old TC 14" single shot pistol that will shoot all day long off a rest almost as good in 223. The worst part was finding a reload that would shoot in all of them accurate. The two mini will shoot somewhat better with different loads but I'm to lazy to load two different load. I do have to use a 55 grain bullet that crimps for the minis so as you fire them they won't drive the bullets inside the clips. The others all shoot the speer 50 grain the best.

8. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo

Have you tried the v-max from hornady I like em pretty good, I might ship mine off and have it worked on, its real good now, I just like em when they are BAD TO THE BONE!

I got mine in 83 and I really like it, its a great mountain type rifle as long as your shots are not over like 150 yards.

I had my 300 weatherby done and it was a .75 moa at 100yds. Its now a clover cutter.

I wonder what the best barrel and package would be?

9. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    we'lll guy's i did some tradeing today and dropped the idea of the original mini14. i did buy a new in box mini 14 . i understand the issues with accuracy. i have a buddy that gets 2inch groups @ 100 with a new mini 14. that is accurate enough for me and my intended use. i have intentions of adding a new 700 remington (bolt gun) in .223 to the safe around christmas. after studdying ballistics and trajectory, i am sure the bolt gun will drive tacks with a little reload work up.......... to tell you the truth if the mini will group 4 inches at a 100 i will be satisfied. ........i have been assured buy some folks i know to be reputable , that it will shoot much better than that..... i went with a new in box because i didn't want a gun that has had a lot of steel caseings ran thru it. i picked up a 1000 rounds of the PMC bronze 55 grain to start with. i will save the brass for the anticipated bolt gun.

10. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Get that bad boy dialed in Rex. We need all the varmint hunters here that we can recruit. Had a grey fox up in my yard the other nite. His days are limited.:confused2:

11. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    i put up 8 grey's on the trap line last year about 3 miles from you as the crow fly's. i intend to give them fits.

12. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I'm gonna try and round me up some traps before winter. I enjoy trappin, just don't do it anymore.

13. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Brian, I have not tried the Hornady V-Max but have a friend that really likes them. My two mini's are like yours, 150 yd guns although I have taken unlucky game out to 200 yds. I am a dirt contractor so spend a lot of time doing lease roads in the oil patch either on a motor grader or mowing right of ways with a tractor and shredder so my mini gets a lot of miles either in the pickup or a machine when the landowner doesn't care. I have shot out of the pickup window shooting prairie dogs and coyotes and have broken 2 outside pickup mirrors with flying brass and put one hot brass that glanced off something and sent it down the front of my wife's shirt into her bra which was pretty exciting, at least for her. I'm sure that I could send it off and make it more accurate but for the cost I could buy another gun. It works all the time with all the North Texas dust that gets in the action plus the rain, snow and various other things that I let fall either on it on in it.
    I'll pick some of my friends brain for their take on the barrels, action work and stocks that they have used in theirs and let you know what they like. I have several friends that have redone their mini's and Ruger 10-22's and are into it big time. Mine are pretty much stock and fairly beat up and get cleaned once a year if they are lucky. They are like a old friend as are and I hate to change anything.
    I have worked over a lot of rifles that I use for hunting big game for more accuracy though.

14. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    You may want to look at a #1 Ruger in 223 Win They are very accurate!

Kimber makes one also that very accurate!

15. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    I dont think I can say, I am a varmint hunter, but I have hammered 8 foxes in last three years with the weatherby 300 magnum. all were about 240 to 260 yards, never shot more than once other than the day I got three within a 10 minutes. Its really over kill, but I do like over kill.:wink:

16. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    I have a Savage .223/12 ga. I really like the .223 cal. I have shot several coyotes with it and it works fine. I have only shot 45 and 55 gr. bullets thru it so far. Id like to try the 60 gr. Nosler Partition with it. I shoot deer with the partition bullets in my 22-250 and they strong medicine for deer and antelope. You need to pick your shots with the lighter guns, but you should anyway with whatever you shoot.

17. Katfish Kern

Katfish Kern New Member

State:
    Florida
    nice gun

18. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I like the mini 14s we used them when i worked in corrections,what i dont like is the round it shoots.I prefer the 7.62x39 version myself.The .223 is great for varmints and plinking but a very poor manstopper.But all around they are good rifles.

19. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    the mini 14 is a great little rifle. i have not tried to shoot groups but i did have great success wipeing out a group of empty snuff cans at 40 yds.i really think the gun safe is crying for a remington model 700 vls in .223 to keep the mini 14 company.

20. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Great choice, you may want to look at a Ruger #1. They are very accurate!