Ming Yang Reels

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by ozzyso44, Jan 15, 2009.

1. ozzyso44

ozzyso44 New Member

State:
    Smithville, Missouri
    Has anybody heard about them? They say that their parts are interchangable with Abu's??? I don't know if I can give up the quality of Abu's, but their price might make some people give them a chance. I just don't know. Looking for the bro's and sis's of the BOC to make us smarter. Opinions, first hand knowlege etc.

Attached Files:

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Wonder if they come over on a Yang Ming container? :wink::smile2::wink:

Bill in SC

3. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    probably made by sum dum guy.lol:wink:

4. ozzyso44

ozzyso44 New Member

State:
    Smithville, Missouri
    serenity now!:smile2:

5. russKC

russKC New Member

State:
    KANSAS CITY MO
    These reels are really cheap on ebay I have been thinking about getting one

6. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    heard nothing but bad about them. everything wears out and supposedly breaks and they are not interchangeable. plus the actual parts for them good luck. you will pay more in shipping for parts than you did for the reel. just what i heard.

7. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    You are 100% correct....while practically everything is made in China now, including Penn, @ least they support repair parts. If the parts aren't available or exceed the cost of the reel ??? & it has to be disposed of rather than repaired, then in the long run, it wasn't so cheap after all !!!!!!!!!:wink:

8. reelworks

reelworks New Member

State:
    NJ
    I wouldn't buy any reel that don't have parts support in this country. If it breaks next week, what can you do?
    As stated above, most all reels are made in China now, but at least Penn, Daiwa, Abu (Pure Fishing), and Okuma stock and supply parts.
    (Shimano has parts but most are way overpriced making it cheaper to replace the reel).

There are some China made reels which are identical to some US branded reels, Ningbo and several Penn reels, (Captiva and Roddy branded reels), are a few that come to mind.

I used to be involved in tackle testing and got many samples to test and try, common one's were from Okuma, Tica, and Marado back about 10 years ago.
    The only one that offered parts, which I never needed, was Okuma, the others had no parts at all, not even a main distributor address to contact if there was a problem.
    While I'm not a big fan of imported anything, there's not much to choose from in US made reels these days. Even Penn has gone to China now.
    It will also be a cold day you know where before I spend $600 or more for a Van Staal or what ever. I just can't see how any reel could be worth that kind of money, and to make it worse, I was told that even those are assembled from parts which they have made offshore now.

9. Rtpcat

Rtpcat New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I just picked up a cl-70 ming yang. Supposed to have a 2 yr warrentry to replace or repair with the place I got it. It is just a little taller and wider than my 7000. It will hold 200yds of 30lb line with a little room left. It will retrieve 22" of line per turn with full spool. 4.2-1 ratio. The reel foot is a little narrrower than the 7000 and doesn't tighten up quite as good on my ugly tiger rod med action. The drag is not quite as good as my carbon-tex drag 7000 but it is very close. Out of the box it I can throw a 3 oz bank sinker 55yds, compared to the 70 that my bushin 7000 will throw. The reel is a little kinda slow and whines when you cast it, but the worm gear is lubed with light grease instead of oil. I am sure if I clean that off like it should be and remove a brake the reel will cast better. No hint of backlashing like it is though. I have not fished it yet so time will tell, just letting you know what I know so far.

10. Rtpcat

Rtpcat New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Just to confirm the casting of the reel getting 75yds now like the 7000. I removed 1 brake cleaned off some grease off the level wind and oiled it.
    Now I can squeeze another 10-15 yds with either reel but you are slinging it hard with a 7ft rod to do it. And can backlash either one easily throwing that hard. Now for some fish..