Ming Yang cl70

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by o'boro cat hunter, Dec 28, 2009.

1. o'boro cat hunter

o'boro cat hunter New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Anybody heard of Ming Yang cl70 baitcaster.If you have what is you thought on this reel?????? Very reasonable price!!!!:big_smile: Thanks $45 shipped

2. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    Aaron I've been looking at those and also followed a thread on them. The only thing I've noticed is that people are concerned about the weak clickers...don't know what they mean by that? Since I fish current I'm afraid to buy a reel with a weak clicker since I rely on them for night fishing.

Keep us posted...I'm needing to buy 3 reels real soon!

3. festus

festus New Member

I've been Googling around looking at these, too. I've never seen them in person, but have read good reviews and bad reviews. Doesn't sound too bad for the price, however. There seemed to be more good reviews than bad.

4. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    Joe, I don't have the 70's, but I do have 2 CLL60's.

The clicker was a negative for me as well. What I mean by weak, and I assume that it's the same as others, is that they are not strong at all when engaged. I can't use mine in currents like the Ohio River. All it does is allow line to be spooled out continously. Plus, being so weak, they are difficult to hear at times. If you are not fishing right over them, you might not hear a run.

Overall though, I really like the Mings. The only other big complaint that I have is, that the drags are not all that good...at least on mine. Mine has a couple of arched spring steel washers that create drag by the compression. I really think they need to have some friction disks in them....as I guess they had in the past. I have been searching for someone that makes replacement drag washers for them. So far, no luck. I may have to make my own.

5. o'boro cat hunter

State:
    kentucky
    Been talking to a guy who fishes the James River with them alot.He says the really Sweet,only downside is the Clicker not being very loud.He also said it holds more line then comparable brands for a fraction of the price.I'm just saying.

6. Salthart

Salthart New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I have been thinking about getting a pair of these also. Would one of you be so kind as to post a picture of the clicker INSIDE so I can see what it would take to beef it up. Could be a simple spring change or maybe a new heavier blade if thats the way they are made.
    THanks

7. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    Yeah, the price is good, and possibly better for the 70 series, but they used to be even better. I got mine just a few months ago for $30 each...shipped. They now are in the $45 range, plus shipping.

Although, if you, or anyone else for that matter, were looking for something in the 60 series range, and did not require left hand, then I believe that Rodgers sporting goods still has some Ambassadeur 6000B's for $50.

8. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    Mine have a single copper blade...that is very thin. I have considered a way to stop the flex near the tip, that should increase the clicker drag, thus also increasing the sound level. I have not measured to see if a thicker blade is possible, without causing clearance issues.

9. o'boro cat hunter

State:
    kentucky
    The drag thing is not good,the clicker i could live without but drag,very,very important.Sure like to find away to save us all some money when possible.

10. greg

greg USCA - STAFF Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    GA/ Ia
    They look like they are very cheap quality to me :0a26: I guess you will get what you pay for.

11. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    I recently purchased some reels that appeared to be a good deal but the clicker/drag would not hold in the current on the Missouri so I sold them!

Don't want to do this again:tounge_out:.

Catfish connection has a really good deal on a reel I already own.

www...................com

ABU GARCIA 6500TC BAITCAST.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  12. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    It won't let me post the link:angry: !! Go to catfish connection to see the reel!

13. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    Looks can be deceiving. And in this case, I believe they are. While I wouldn't ever say that they are on the same level as the Abu's, they do have some things that the Abu's don't even have. The main thing being all brass gearing.

I own Ambassadeurs as well, and they have plastic gearing in them. My C4's are smoother, but don't seem any better quality than my Mings. Even they were slightly better, the price difference was big enough for me not to have overly high expectations. My C4's cost $90 each, as compared to the $30 each for the Mings. Plus, I don't even have an urge to use my Abu's anytime soon. The Mings have been that good to me.

Like I said before: A couple of fairly minor fixes, and the Mings will fulfill everything that I need/want. For the quality and price, I have not been disappointed at all.

14. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    I looked, and thought very hard before finding the Mings, about getting a couple of TC's from CC. They are great reels, but even with the clearance pricing, I could still get 4 Mings for the cost of 2 TC's.

And actually, for the price I paid for the Mings I could have bought 5 of them for the same money as 2 TC's. It was worth the cost to experiment. I've been very pleased.

15. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Rob is right looks are very deceiving. When I first saw the reel on my buddies boat I asked what it was, The gun metal finish and the handle just caught my eye, it isnt cheap looking at all in person. It casts with the best of them, I dont use my clickers so I dont need them. Everything is metal or aluminum, no cheap plastic at all (although plastic is needed on the handle for cold days) even the gears are brass, all this for $30 and people claim they are cheap lmao. I myself have never had a problem with the drag yet as 30LBs is the biggest I have witnessed being caught on it, I've caught a couple 20s with no probs. I was gonna purchase one more 7000 and a ming CL60 but I just may order a CL70 and CL60, both under $100 shipped to my door, spool them up and go catch some monsters just to prove a point.

16. greg

greg USCA - STAFF Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    GA/ Ia
    I personally would not wish an Abu on my worst enemy. If I were to use a casting reel I would use a Diawa or Finnor. Both are relatively inexpensive and worth the extra money. I hope you guys have a great BOC day:big_smile:

17. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    I definately can't agree with that. While I do like what I have experienced my Mings, I still really love my Abu's. Although, I am not familiar with Finnor.

I did not buy new reels as a replacement. I just wanted something a bit bigger to hold more line than my 5601C4's. Aside from that, they have been excellent reels and I have no issues with them at all. The Mings have proved to be outstanding in casting, but so are my C4's.

I mostly use my boat for fishing and usually anchor. I still need something that can cast well, because I like to anchor a bit upstream from the hole I wish to fish, and cast into it. 30-50 yards is not uncommon. It's not a terribly far distance to cast, but I still want casting to be a pleasure and not be irritating.