Mineral blocks

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by cooterbrown, May 17, 2006.

1. cooterbrown

cooterbrown New Member

State:
    illinois
    hey guys i was just wondering whats the best way to use mineral blocks . like where is the best location and how do you put them out? last year at one spot i put out one and there about a foot tall so i dug a hole about 8 inches deep and poured a gallon of water in it and then set the block in there and poured another gallon on top of it but it never seemed like there was very much action around it at all HELP ME OUT GUYS

2. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    We Usually Dump Some Soured Corn Around Them Or Pour A Little Trail Leading Up To Them, So They'll Know Where They Are At. I Guess You Could Use Some Sourgham Or Molasses AS A Scent Dispersement Also.

HTH, Elliot

3. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I put one on a stump behind my house a few years ago.....now there is just a hole where the old stump used to be! Sometimes it takes awhile for the deer to find them and sometimes there are so many people putting them out, the deer pick a few that are in cover and only use them.

4. CarolinaCatter

CarolinaCatter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Usually, deer use these blocks in the summer months. After or during fall, there is so much other food available with good nutrients, such as white oak acorns. I have put several of these blocks out over the years. Only once have I ever seen a deer come and actually lick on it.

5. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Ive never cared for the plain mineral blocks, I know others that swear by them. When I used them I liked plain old salt blocks, there was always fresh tracks around them.