Mined Land Area

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by RPnKC, Jun 21, 2006.

1. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
  2. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I lived in Pittsburg while I went to Pitt State. I was there for 5 or 6 years. The only REAL way to catch a lot of fish in these pits are to get access to some of the private pits. The public areas get a TON of pressure, especially if you do not have a boat. With a boat, you can get back to some holes that do not get fished as often. From the bank however, anywhere you can get close to the water, these areas are fished HEAVY.

The good thing is, most are fishing for bass. I KNOW there are some MONSTER CATS in some of those pits, and I have caught several channel cat between 10 or 15 lbs, and have had my line broken several times as well. As long as those pits have been there, and as big and deep as some of them are, there are bound to be some monsters in some of them! They are packed with baitfish too.

3. KanHeadhunter

KanHeadhunter New Member

State:
    S. E. K.
    I don't fish the pits that much and when I do it is fish for crappie. I should fish for cats there but I don't. I do have a few friends that do and they do pretty good. The record channel cat came from the "trout pit." Fish nad Game shock this pit often to get a good count on the trout. When they do they see huge cats come up also. It 1 time they said there were 3 stae recoeds in that pit, if caught in the right order they would cancel each out. I don't know if the current state record is the smallest or the biggest. If you get to fish it use trout heads!!

4. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Jeff,
    I do fish from a small 14' jon boat which makes it really easy to access small waters. Maybe I mentioned putting a boat on these pits when I talked to Fildlife Department, he clearly pointed out the lack of pressure. Could be he wanted me to visit and add to their local economy as well, it is a business afterall.
    Troutheads...wonder if it's legal to use those for bait? That "trout pit" looks like a fairly good sized piece of water on the state map, any idea of how many acres? Since it's a couple hours drive from KC I was planning to bass fish in the afternoon while investigating the pits, then set-up for the night cat activities.

5. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

From what I understand the Trout Pit has some HUGE channel cats, and it is legal to use the trout as bait as long as you legally catch them on R&R and have the trout stamp.

You might want to pick a weekday if possible, as the West Mineral Strip Pits can get somewhat crowded on weekends with families camping.

6. retired stump jumper

retired stump jumper New Member

State:
    KANSAS
    I may be doing this wrong but I would like to know where did you find a small jon boat like that. retired stump jumper

7. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
    RSJ,
    They are available new at Cabelas, Lowe brand model 1436, for about $879.00 brand new. That is just the boat; the trailer, motor, trolling motor, seats, lights, etc are extra.
    Bass Pro Shops will also sell the same type of boat under their Tracker brand name.
    On these smaller jonboats, don't worry about the name. I have a funny feeling only a couple of companies actually manufacture these smaller boats. If you check the specs/dimensions through various boat companies, many are exactly the same.
    Most importantly, these boat work very well in very shallow water and are easy to manuever. The downside is they can't carry much weight.
    Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions, it's probably best to ask "off thread" questions through Private Messages.
    Good Luck

8. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Retired Stump Jumper,

I have a small 10' aluminum jon boat that is perfect for one large man (like me) or an average size person and smaller person. It is super light and easy for one man to carry if need be. I also have a 12' steel boat for when 2 people are going. Both slide right in the back of my truck easily, especially with 2 men. And run both with a small Minn Kota trolling motor.

I found both at garage sales. Paid $50 for the aluminum, and $125 for the steel one. Both were in perfect condition. Keep your eye out in the classified, and garage sales.

9. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Rick, that sounds like the perfect trip to me!! There are some monster crappie in those pits too! I have a picture of one I caught while I was in college, right at 17" long. I KNOW there are some monster cats in there, and would be willing to bet some monster Flathead too. I never had a boat while I was in college, so was limited to where I could fish. Luckily I worked for a farmer in the West Mineral, Scammon, and Wier area. He owned some private pits that I could fish on and had pretty good luck.

10. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Whew! When I saw the title,I wondered where you were talking about.Perhaps sneaking into one of our Nuclear Weapons assembly or storage complexes.Land Mines? Talk about desperate and dedicated fishermen.O.K.When thinking of fishing a new or unfamiliar area,the many map and area photo sites are often a big help.Even MSN has it now.peewee-williams

11. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    PeeWee, you would be suprised what the land owners in these parts will do to protect their fishing holes!! Including land mines! LOL!

12. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    From the mountains to the coast we have that trouble with the Pot growers.Mostly on the public land that belongs to everyone.peewee-williams

13. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

You have a good point that most BOC members are not familiar with the "mined land" that dots SE Kansas.

Many years ago, as the open pit strip mining died out in SE KS, the state bought and took over donated land that had been ravaged from the open pit mining of coal, and filled the pits with water and stocked them with fish. The surrounding area had often been strippd of its top soil, and briars and such grow abundant and make for some great rough terrain to support wildlife. You can find trees that are seventy years, old but are the size of a normal ten year old tree as the soil is so poor.

Today, many of these previous mined areas are managed by the state as a fishing and/or hunting areas for recreational purposes.

They are commonly called "stip pits" or "mined land".

14. retired stump jumper

retired stump jumper New Member

State:
    KANSAS
    Now I know I`m getting old when I posted this I was thinking of a pontoon boat insted of jon boat.

15. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

Typo on my part, that should be "strip pits" as in strip mining.

16. OsageCountyCatman

OsageCountyCatman New Member

State:
    Osage City, KS
    Them cats should eat well...

a buddy of mine went through school at Pittsburg State from 68-72. He was in the scuba club and has done at lot of diving in those pits.

The scuba club pulled several bodies out for the cops back then. Apparently the KC mob families chummed a few of those strip pits as well.