minced garlic?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by brinley45cal, May 22, 2009.

1. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    anyone ever try minced garlic on any of there baits before?If i were to run out of garlic powder would that work or is it a waste of time?And what do you use it on?thanks

2. sscharlie

sscharlie Well-Known Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Stan
    That's all I use on my liver baits along with sea salt. I like it.

3. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Works good on peeled raw shrimp for channels, soak them in a minced garlic and water solution for a day or two.

4. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    Works good on hot dogs-minced garlic strawberry kool-aid and water.

5. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Hi Stan, do you catch more channels that way compared to regular livers?

Jaime

6. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Hi Steve and Barry, has your success rate gone up using minced garlic and shrimp Barry? How about regular hotdogs compared to hotdogs, minced garlic and straberry coolaid. Thanks for your time

Jaime

7. sscharlie

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Stan
    Jamie, IMO, I do believe that hands down I do catch more this way. I'm always trying experiments with my fishing. A lot of that info can be found here on the BOC. I do take different bait with me and although I don't write it down on paper which I probably should, I keep track of moon phases, barometric pressure, even the size of the bait I present. I do see an effect on all these things. What works one day might not work the next day without making some kind of adjustments. Also the sea salt helps firm up the chicken liver a lot, but I'm using pork liver right now. Really stays on the hook and you can throw it as hard as you want. I just don't like using a trebble hook, just to damn stubborn about that one....LOL

8. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    I know my bite rate has gone way up versus regular hot dogs.

9. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    Yeah, there is a noticable difference. The idea is to get a favorable scent column in the water for the fish to home in in the bait. Just so happens garlic is one that channels like.

10. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Thanks for the info guys! I am going fishing with a few BOC brothers tomorrow. There are mostely channels, I will try the Minced garlic and shrimp for sure.

Jaime

11. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    Be sure to keep them from spoiling, ya might get hungry, throw a shrimp on the barby. :smile2:

12. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    See ya tomorrow morning Jaime. Try some of that garlic shrimp:wink: Should be good fishing:big_smile:

13. I believe minced, crushed garlic will do the trick.
    Would be even better if it marinates with the bait.

sTRICTLY Catfish

14. brinley45cal

State:
    kentucky
    thanks everybody great response,wasnt really sure about it seems all you hear is everyone using the garlic powder.So im glad i asked that question cause i got plenty of minced garlic and fresh liver and shrimp so im good to go sounds like.appreciate all those who responded.any more ideas or uses for it go ahead and post away.

15. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Ive used garlic powder, garlic salt, and minced garlic. They all have worked for me and cant tell the difference between em. I also use a little parmesain cheese like for pizza. When that stuff hits the water it leaves a noticable scent trail. It has some kind of oil in it and when it hits the water you can see it. So im guessing the cats can smell it. Good luck.

16. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    in my opinion you cannot beat good old crushed fresh garlic to add to baits. mine, anyway. i add it to cut carp, along with regular country crock butter. i always let it marinade a day or two before freezing it. knocks em dead!

17. sscharlie

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Stan
    James, I don't know about the shrimp but sea salt and vanilla can be added tot he liver baits. The salt helps tuffin up the chicken liver too but I use pork liver drownded in crushed garlic, sea salt and vanilla. Anise can be added too.

18. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Garlic in any form will enhance your bait.

19. brinley45cal

State:
    kentucky
    yeah i normally use garlic powder but was curious about the minced.I took some out sat. liver that i cured with salt and minced garlic,worked really well.

20. sscharlie

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Stan
    Thanks for the report James. I went Monday and seemed like the bite window was from 11am - 2pm then they stopped.