Milk for Rosebushes?

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by ladyfish50, Apr 11, 2007.

1. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I was watching a gardening show last week, & they mentioned a tip for treating blackspot & powdery mildew on roses. They recommended using a diluted mixture of fat free milk & water; just spray it on.
    Anybody else heard of this?? I tried it today on my climbing roses. I have 1 old-fashioned red running rose that's normally fairly hardy. But a couple of years ago I brought home, from an old homeplace, a pink running rose. I've heard it called a 7 Sister's Rose. Anyway, it's gotten powdery mildew the past 2 years, & it's just about stripped it clean by the end of the summer. So....I'll let you know how it goes. After I sprayed it with it's "milk bath", I told my husband, "All it needs now is some Oreos!":big_smile:

2. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    unless you have a reason for going organic i'd save myself the worry and dose them with a product such as "funginex" or better yet "orthonex" if you can find it. (orthonex is funginex and acephate mixed) you can also try daconil or several other of the rose disease sprays. those i mentioned ive used.

3. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Chad, I appreciate the input. In fact, this morning I mixed up some Funginex & went ahead & sprayed them all real good. I didn't want to give that powdery mildew much of a head start; last year I lost most of the buds on my little heirloom running rose. And it is just loaded with buds this year, so maybe I've caught it in time. I'm gonna be real vigilant with the spray this year, so maybe it'll come through okay. Thanks for the advise.

4. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    What I wanna know is... does this mean...
    ...........................No Oreos :eek:oooh: ?????? :sad2: :wink: :big_smile:

Happy Bloomin, Roxie :smile2:

5. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    No, Hope, after making that post, it got me to thinking....Hmmm, Oreos....well, it's been awhile...so, I bought a bag & ate em all weekend. I'm trying real hard not to go get some right now, but I'm out of milk, & it just isn't the same!!
    Oreos are my absolute favorite cookie!!!:tounge_out:

6. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Don't forget the Epsom Salt for your roses...........

Love and hugs from TN to LA,
    Cheryl

7. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Cheryl,

What is the epsom salt for? Do you sprinkle it atop the soil? Thanks, Sis.

Oh, almost forgot... all the rosebuds froze in the recent Dogwood blast of winter. I s'pose I should clip them all or... just wait and see what greens back up first? I dunno... sure looks bad, but I hate to mess with any of the frozen stuff till it's clear where the new life might sprout back up.
    Any advice?

AND... Roxie! Double-stuffed?

8. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Carolyn,

The Epsom Salt is good for lots of plants. Read the back of one at Wally World and it tells you how much to put on what plant.

I would clip them off, but I'm no rose expert, ask Swampy. He knows more about them, than I do. I have too many plants to baby roses, so if God lets them prosper, they do, otherwise, I don't pamper them.

Love and hugs,
    Cheryl

9. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Okay, I'm gonna have to check on this; I've never heard of it, but Buddy said he's heard of using it on tomato plants. Guess I'll buy a box & do a little reading. I'll admit, Cheryl, I'm alot like you when it comes to the plants. They pretty much have to fend for themselves. I'll do a little weeding, I'll pour liquid plant food & pinch off blooms, etc, but if it gets to be too much more, they'll just have to tough it out.:confused2:
    Oh, and Hope...I'm pretty much an original Oreo purist....but I do like them fudge-covered ones!!

10. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Tsk, tsk, now Roxie, from the pics I saw of your gardens, there is a lot of hard work and weeding going on somewhere. If it's not you, then it must be Buddy. My gardens are more naturalized, (Meaning WEEDY.......:crazy: )

I used the epsom salt on my roses today prior to the rain. If you use it, don't forget to water them afterwards.

Take care.
    Cheryl

11. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    What ever happened to just waterin flowers, talkin to em and chasein the cats away with a bb gun? LOL!

12. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN

We leave that to the ones that do it best............................MEN!

13. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Yup... sounds like my dad's method.... stopping here and there for a nip off one of those fifths of Ole Granddad he's got stashed behind every other shrub. Ahhh ... the joys of gardening. :tounge_out:

14. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Cheryl, nope Buddy does NOT do any weeding in my flower beds, although he did weed out part of a row of berry bushes that he's got planted! I was impressed! So, normally I do try to keep at least that front yard bed looking nice. I bought some Epsom Salt yesterday at Wally World; gonna give it a try this weekend. Also, I have 2 big fish aquariums; the cannister filters need cleaning out anyway, so I'll use that fish "gunk" to fertilize with. Boy, after just a day or two of getting that put on them, those plants perk up & get so pretty & green!!
    Oh yeah, the Epsom salt at WW...I bought a bag over in the health/beauty dept; then we wandered back toward the garden dept, & "lo & behold" they had a display set up of it "For your garden"!! It's in different packaging & costs about $2 more per bag.....and it's the same exact stuff!!! So if you decide to try it, be aware!!! Ahhh, the joys of marketing!:roll_eyes:

15. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Roxie,

I'm pretty sure our aquarium filter needs a cleaning, too! Never woulda thought to put the gunk onto the plants, but waste not - want not :lol: Thanks for the tip!!

16. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Oh yeah! You buy fish emulsion fertilizer....it's the same thing, only fresher!:confused2: