MILITARY SERVICE? WHO HAS BEEN IN?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Catfish_Commando, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Just said goodbye,"over the phone" to a couple Army buddies that just shipped out from my old job at Fort Stewart.

If I didn't retire, I would have been headed back for my 3rd vacation, 4th if you count the Gulf War.

These boys have been back a little over a year...

Any Active Duty or veterans on the BOC?

How long did you serve and how many combat tours did you rotate through?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Marines/ 1969-72/ One tour in the jungle/ MOS 8541

3. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    23 years, went to Viet Nam, The first Gulf war I was only one of three to stay in Germany to provide the needs of the wives left behind, the wives could do nothing without a signature from someone in charge of a unit, I was chosen by request of the wives. also served a tour in Korea, was there during the tree chopping incident where the Major got Killed, was in Germany when the wall came down, was very glad to serve.

4. bcgamecock

bcgamecock New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    17 years for me--some as a crypto ranger and some as a forward air controller. Would have finished 20 but on my 3rd and last trip to the desert, I fell out of the sky with 12 other mean. Broke my lower back, pelvic bone, some ribs, and had some internal injuries. And I was one of the lucky ones. Granted medical retirement in November 2004. Wish I could have finished 20.

5. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Active duty Navy 9 years served on USS Reasoner FF1063 and USS Caron DD 970
    Gulf War x 2
    Navy Reserves 12 years
    Retired Sept 2005

Fun times

6. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    22 yrs Marines. 1 tour nam, several more unafficial tours other places.
    gary

7. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    9 years 4 months active duty, they the US Army decided I had bad knees even though I was running sub 11:00 minute 2 miles and kicked me out.

Didnt make it to the gulf war, but I am currently working with the US Army in Afghanistan, next March will make 4 years here.

Was stationed in Berlin Germany when the wall fell....

8. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    20 years 3 months and 8 days as a CH-47D helicopter mech. retired in 2005. Spent 1 tour in Desert Storm. Now working for the Government as a Liason for the CH-47 Project Management office and Forgien Military Sales Section. Would do it all again in a heartbeat.

9. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Its been 37 yrs for me. The last time I hunted a man was in 1999 when I worked for the Sheriff's Dept. He made the mistake of going in woods with open fields on all sides. Was like flushing a rabbit.

10. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    USAF, AFSC 55155 (?) Only action was maybe a couple bar fights in Albany Ga. 4 years and out , just not my thing :big_smile: , I may have been a lifer had I had Tops job :big_smile_2::big_smile_2:

11. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    USMC 64-68
    Nam 66-67

12. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    USN 1956 to 1960. Peace time baby!

13. TennesseeJugger

TennesseeJugger New Member

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    US Army 1978 to 2003, Started out 11B infantry, went to jump school and by the time I was an E-5 I applied for SF. made it and was with the 3rd Bn 5th Group at Ft. Campbell, Ky. I was an 18E. Combat tours include Grenada, Panama, Desert Storm, Iraqi Freedom, Samolia, the Moge and some that I am not at liberty to discuss.
    Specialized training includes !. SF Q course, pathfinder, S.E.R.E, Ranger, jump school, Northern warfare training, Dlab, Air assault, Jungle School ( Panama), Sabatoge & demolition...just to name a few. I am Combat wounded from Iraq from an IED. Retired as a E-8.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  14. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    US Army 14 Apr 1970 to 16 Jan 1072. Went to Kaiserslaughtern Germany. Was drafted and didnt care for the job. Wish now I would have stayed and made a career. Wasnt any worse than working for civilians actually. Made SP5

15. Kittycatcher

Kittycatcher New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Te
    U.S. Army Febuary 21, 1968 thru Febuary 28, 1988, 20 years and 7 days. Oversea Station; Vietnam 1969-1970, Germany 1974-1976, Korea 1979-1980, and Korea 1984- 1986. Retired as a SSGT E-6 out of 8th Bn 101st Airbone Regt. Ft. Campbell, Kentucky. Work for a Contractor that provides service for160th SOAR at Ft. Campbell, Kentucky. :cool2: :cool2:

16. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    Yep, I guess I fall in that bunch, 3 tours this time around and 1 to the Gulf war. So I think that makes me and you about even Paul. :wink::smile2:

17. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    USAF 24 years, 3 months and 10 days. Retired E-8 SMSgt. Career field: 2W0X1 (461X0) AMMO! IYAAYAS!

Did two tours in the sandbox (one in Saudi and one in Kuwait) and a beautiful 110 days in Italy for Operation Allied Force (Kosovo). Stationed in Germany (3 times), Abilene,Texas; Sumter, South Carolina; Las Vegas, Nevada; Incirlik, Turkey, Fayetteville, North Carolina; Camp Springs, Maryland.

18. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    United States Coast Guard 1972-1976. Stationed in Buffalo, N.Y. after electronics training in Governors Island, N.Y. Pulled out a few drowning victims, but mainly took care of communications all along Lake Ontario and a little part of Lake Erie. Semper Paradus!

Ray

19. TennesseeJugger

TennesseeJugger New Member

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    What about you Paul? Lets here about some of that High Speed training!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  20. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Spent a little less than 2 years in the Navy.Was medically discharged after catching legionnaire disease which almost killed me and put me in the hospital for almost 60 days..Was deemed unfit to serve due to the damage done to my lungs.I was an aviations boatswains mate.I did my first year with the Blue Angels.The rest of my time I served on the USS George Washington CVN-73..