Military experience? I need help.

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by peewee williams, Jul 3, 2007.

1. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Break free Lubricant/Preservative for rapid fire automatic and stainless firearms. P/N LP-4.Anyone with any experience and opinions on this product?They claim it was developed for use with heavy automatic military cannon.From reading the "Goody Sheet" on the back,it should be a good thing to try in reels along with firearms.They claim it it is friendly to finishes and plastics.I know everyone is familiar with the old standard "Break Free",but this is a different product.Thanks.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

2. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    peewee, I've read that gun oils especially the ones with teflon and certain additives shouldn't be used in bearings and I assume that means bushings as well. Under heat & pressure they can lay down some solids and gunk up the bearings. I don't know what that has to do with black powder, but there it is. Hop down to the hardware store and buy the blue 3in1 oil and you are all set. $4.

3. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Sorry to disagree.I have used the red 3 in 1 oil all of my life.I like their products.(I am 62) While they now sell great lubes for many things,I feel that they fall far short in many ways for many others.I have as yet to find a perfect lube for everything.A fellow told me that the Break Free P/N LP-4 had been recommended to him for lubing of the few moving parts and the preservation of Black powder firearms.He said that it was working out well for him.I thought that maybe other black powder men were using it and be more apt to be using it or trying it out on other things.I would not think to use it in ball or roller bearings.Now if it will stand up to the heat in use and lube,preserve firearms from "Flint Locks" to heavy fully automatic cannon such as the 20 mm."Phalanx",the Canadian 4.5"Exeter" guns and the U.S.Navy's 5 in.cannon along with fully auto and simiauto long arms and sidearms.Well I think that It is worth looking into for reels.Few things are more corrosive or hot than Black powder.Corrosion is a fact of life with Black Powder firearms along with cannon of all types and kinds.Terribly so with navel cannon.The product is also advertised as safe for the plastics found on many modern guns.Brass and nylon bushings in reels could possibly benefit along with the rest of the many materials now used in reels.I saw no mention of Teflon.This is the reason for mentioning it in Black powder.I could ask about and share what I had heard about this product with people who might be using it or possibly benefit from my asking about and sharing what I have heard.I have the intention of asking in the regular gun section if I do not learn here.A lifetime of saltwater and chemical plant maintenance has kept me looking for better materials and lubes.I love you Brothers and Sisters,peewee

4. stickusmc

stickusmc New Member

State:
    Glasford, Illinois
    i use some of the CLP(cleans lubes and protects) i have left over from my tour in the corps and works great on my guns and reels

5. greg

greg USCA - STAFF Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    GA/ Ia
    I personally do not know if it would work, all I can say is give it try on one of your least expensive reels and if it works ok the go ahead . Let us know how it works out for you.

6. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Ol fart like you Pee-wee. All I remember was the stuff we had came in a green plastic bottle marked Weapons Oil. It felt a lil heavy to me, almost like mineral oil rubbed between yer fingers...an ya better keep it out the chamber an bore as it fouled badly. I think it's a good thing the youngers are getting better products. Ever had LRRP ration? That will make ya a rice fan....an anything cooked on a stick, LOL. Let us know how it works out. I'm a big Break Free fan.

7. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    neve have had the chance to use it. I have used CLP (as stick suggested) numerous times and it works really well on metal, plastic, and pretty much everything. we use it on M16-A2, and those of you out there that know is made mostly of plastic, and it works really well. it is quite thin to so that you can put some on and then wipe it off and it still lubes really well. i would reccommend this stuff if you are looking for military type POL's. Now i mainly just use good old zebco reel oil in my reels.

8. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    ok, im gonna break it down for you.
    Break Free and CLP are almost the same thing. I can not tell any difference in their performance in weapons. Do not think they would be good to use in reels.
    As an infantryman i like to use the VERY BEST oils in my guns. There are some oils called MIL-Tech. It is fantastic and i do not know where to get it now. It will cut the number of jams in a m-4 down to nil. I used it in my amb. 6500's and it works fine, it was designed for desert use so it collects less dust and dirt than other oils i have used.

I did not use it to clean weapons with like u can use CLP for but i wanted a good oil, and use HOPPE'S cleaning products for their designed uses.

To me CLP is the military's way of trying to make things too simple. It is OK if u are in a jam but why use something that does 3 things "OK" when u can have the right tools for the jobs that need to be done and the job will be done right?

9. okiecop

okiecop New Member

State:
    Grove, OK
    I am not sure about the break free you are talking about but have used the break free CLP. Used it in the military on everything from 9mm pistols to MA2 .50 machine gun.

Even now the department that I work for it is all we use. That's on S&W 686 revolvers, Glock's, Remington 870's, AR-15's, Mini 14's and 308 sniper rifles. It must be some decent stuff if the armorer uses it. And he has no military background.

10. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    That works good on just about everything, I did use dry lube on my m16a2 in Iraq.:wink:

11. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Where all did you use the MIL-Tech in your "amb.6500"? I now have a 4 oz bottle of the "Break Free Lubricant/Preservative" and a tiny sample bottle of the "MIL-Tech" that I have had a while.So far,they seem to be a lot alike.I have used the BF L/P on all of the pivots and slides of my hanging up"Lift Chair" and my "Daisy"880,1894 air rifles and 179 pistol.Great so far!It is very very thin and the old "Broom Straw"method seems to work best to get it in tiny places.A little goes a long long ways and does the job.I mean a tiny bit!It would be very easy to have it run into the wrong places such as the drag in a reel.I hear of "creeping" being a problem with the "Hot Sauce".This stuff is suppose to "minimize drain-off" as they call it.It should be great for all slow speed bushing and gears including nylon.I don;t know how it would do in the small ball or roller bearings.It has to be a high temperature product to stand up to rapid fire weapons and prevent galling in stainless steel.I am starting to think that it could be a good lube for the exposed part of a level wind on a reel after a good cleaning.I am going to keep trying it on things.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee.