Military exemption

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by TeamWhiskers, Jul 19, 2007.

1. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I was wanting your opinion on trying to get some legislation passed for a few new active military and veterans fishing permit programs. Something for the active status military personnel to have an exemption for a permit so they can just go fishing for the current and next physical year of coming home.
    Then to be fair to all the other veterans. Have a Thursday through Monday exemption for both Veterans Day and Memorial Day weekends for all Veterans that are residents to the State of Missouri.
    There will be pros and cons to either of these issues as I need to next gather some statistics of the numbers that this will effect vs the income etc for the budgets. Over all, the State probably will loose some money or could possibly get a few more to fish during the other time of the year thus buying a permit. Either way, it would stimulate the economy and the fishing industry for the equipment, bait and gas needed just to go fishing is another point. Mainly, I would like to do something for our Military to honor them for everything that they have done for Missouri and our Country.
    Vince
    Teamwhiskers

2. 3dukmn

3dukmn New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'd personally be OK with Vets Fish Free For Life, so anything towards that is ok with me. They pay vets college after they get out...- why not fishing. They put in time in the Military, they deserve it.

No - I am not a vet. I just respect those that are.

3. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    I wholeheartedly support this idea -- because those who have fought to protect us and our freedoms deserve whatever we can muster to thank them for their hard work and sacrifices.

I do have a few questions, though:

1a) Would this include all currently active as well as discharged and/or retired service members from all branches of our armed forces (Navy, Air Force, Army, Marine Corps, Coast Guard)?

1b) If it includes those who are discharged, what about those who were discharged in less than honorable circumstances?

2) Though technically not a branch of the armed forces, what about the National Guard? There are currently provisions in MO for active National Guard service men and women to receive discounted permits, but shouldn't they also be eligible for free permits?

3) Lastly, would there be support for provisions regarding the immediate family members of those who have made the ultimate sacrifice?

Governor Matt Blunt recently signed into legislation items that provides more support for veterans returning from the GWOT as well as continuing support for those who came before them. This would've made an excellent addition to the packages he authorized.

Here's the link to the governor's press release.

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I believe it is an erroneous thought that personnel separating from the military gets free college. They generally have to sign up for it on their initial enlistment and then pay so much a month into a plan...then, and only when they get all of the requirements taken care of, do they get to go to college.

Speaking for myself as a retired serviceman from the Viet-nam era, I would wish that every time you see someone wearing a VFW hat or lapel pin, or an American Legion hat or lapel pin, ask them if they were spit on when they returned from Nam. If they were, apologize to them for the actions of those ungrateful citizens. That still bugs me, even today.

It is this group of veteran's who generally supply the firing squad at military funerals. The active duty is too busy now and it costs too much. Say thank you, please.

5. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I don’t have all the answers first of all. This perhaps should be done in all the States or perhaps at the Federal level or maybe have the Veterans Admin handle something like this. I admit that I was not in the armed forces and have a disadvantage for knowing about some of the details that perhaps need to included. I’m still working on gathering up even the basic of information to even consider contacting someone to get the bill written here in my home State.

I think that it should be taken in steps perhaps to try to see if this would get passed. Eventually it would be nice to see a lifetime exemption for all. The question there would then be do we go for it all or a step at a time? That answer alone, I do not know… I thought I would try to get this step going mainly….

6. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    Vince, believe me I think it's a great idea -- the questions I asked are just ones that others will probably ask eventually. My own theory is that "I can't find answers if I don't know the questions."

The inevitable "peer" pressure amongst the states themselves might allow this to propagate amongst the states...without ever being required to go through the steps to become a federal law. In other words, if one state does it I'd be surprised if it's alone for very long.

Lawrence, if you are included in that group of folks, then please allow me to extend an apology. Though I didn't yet exist, the thought of someone showing that kind of disrespect makes me sad and angry.

Thanks to all veterans. Period. We owe you all a debt of gratitude.

7. scott1

scott1 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I like the idea of free. My home state of Illinois does allow me to fish for free if I am on leave with orders. I dont know how many states do this but most will honor a military ID and leave orders if you are just visiting. Paying 10 or 15$ isnt to bad, I know a lot of Marines thtat will never get the chance to fish again so I am grateful either way.

8. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Cube
    That is so true with your theory.."I can't find answers if I don't know the questions." That is why i wanted to put it up on here and perhaps some might want to help. Like I said in your other one.. There are many issues that need to be addressed. Let's roll up our sleeves and see what we can do..

9. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Lawrence, you brought back a very unpleasant memory. I was not spit upon but was treated with such indifference I was both angry and hurt. I did not go to nam but I wore the uniform during that period. I am very happy the attitude towards our troops has changed dramatically. I was in the store with my son who was home on leave. A couple of people walked up and thanked him for his sacrifice. I nearly cried because I know how we were treated and was so proud of him I almost lost it. I think at the very least they should fish free when home on leave with id and leave papers. A weeks free fishing is a small reward.

10. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Please don't get me wrong... I have the utmost respect for those veterans currently serving, who have served, who have retired, and those who have made the ultimate sacrifice. We, the citizens of this country, cannot do enough for this group of men and women.

In all my ramblings about military service, the Viet-Nam era veteran has my most heart felt sympathy. Soldiers, sailors, airmen and marines returning home from WW1, WWII, Korea, Desert Storm, The Gulf wars have all been treated and respected as heroes. The Viet-Nam veteran was. and to a large degree still is, a social outcast.

Our citizens lost faith in the military. Our politicians hid behind military service as a great patriotic event...and military service was used as a stepping stone to congress. Look at the composition of the Congress and House today...how many of them are veterans...check out you own state legislatures...how many veterans are there...sadly, the answer is not many. A draft dodging peacenik was elected as President of the U.S. How many presidential candidates vying for this office have military service. That should be a requirement for a federal office, especially for President of the United States. We laugh at Bush's National Guard service - but even at its worst extent, it is better than Hilary Clinton can offer. Men and women have made sacrifices for this country...they should get a lot in repayment.

11. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well Lawrence, we are just going to find out which of our State Legislatures in Congress and the House in Missouri really are Veterans or patriotic by the way they will vote on a bill like this. The other problem that I see is the actual political party politics that will probably come into play. Either way, I hope that they all can come together for something that is actually good for once. Perhaps if it is figured out here and done in Missouri, you will consider taking it into Oklahoma and others to their various States.

12. fishingbuddie

fishingbuddie New Member

State:
    georgia
    hun i know in the state of georgia the vets get their free along with drivers , cdls, etc. this is only for those who are dicharger with generall under honorable and above, if you have a dishonarble you pretty much dont have a leg to stand on on anything, you wnat be able to get a job eighter here. i hope this answeres some of your questions i will tell you you can go to your vetrans admin office and talk to them about anything you can get as a vet , she will be able to answer alot of those and more questions.
    sandy

13. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    Currently, veterans 60% or more service-connected disabled get free fishing and hunting but it excludes trout, deer and possibly turkey. (not sure on that one):eek:oooh:

14. barrelbritches

barrelbritches New Member

State:
    Texas
    like lawerence i was there , when I got off the plane in dfw , the people there did not give a damn about you what you went thru, afterwards just getting a job was something else. What here me the most is what my family had to go thru liveing with a baby killer . I left part of me over there, but in all I am very glad to see the men and woman that has came home one way or the other is getting the respect of the public, that carries a long way in my book . This is hard to how a person feels ,UNLESS YOU WERE THERE thanks lawerence you have covered it all.

15. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    You're welcome.

Many of us Viet-Nam Vets still harbor resentment in our hearts due to the treatment we received when we came home... and over 50,000 didn't get to see home again. It was better they perished than be subjected to the atrocities the survivors endured at the hand of our own countrymen.

Lest we forget... and do it again.

16. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I rode that train back in the sixties and I for one will not stand by and observe any one coming down on a person that has just returned from a war zone.

17. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks everyone for the viewpoints and sorry about bringing up old nightmares from some. My next stop will be the Veterans Administration here in Missouri and then on to finding someone that will sponsor these. I have added in the ones that are home on leave thanks to several ideas that came up in here.
    Once again.. Thank you for all your help, view points and understanding.
    I knew I could count on my friends and brothers here in BOC...

18. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I am horrifyed and disgusted knowing that you were spit upon for what you did to serve our Country.Please accept my apology for those who were so beyond disgraceful. As far as President of the United States I fully agree Sir with you. I believe that not only should they be a veteran they should also have had to be right in the Middle of the Firefight. A person can't possibly know what that is like unless they have walked in those shoes. I had a very dear friend many years ago who served and retired from the Navy.It was his wish upon his death to be buried at sea because he spent 25-30 years on board one. The sea was his life. He told me in those years that he served,there was more than one occasion that he soiled himself because the battle was very near and fear was to the extent he could taste it in his mouth.He said I'm not one bit ashambed to admit that either. I have no idea what fear tastes like nor do I wish to know,but I do know,if he tasted it he was also willing to be blown to bits in service to the United States,Isaid he had no reason to feel shame,he retired honorabley,a Navy Warrior so to speak who had seen his share of "Rivers" of Blood!! This is just my opinion but I say someone like him should hold the office of President of the United States.That way folks could never ever accuse them of sending their children off to die,because he could return and say been there done that and folks your kids are not any better than I was. Once again JMHO,thank you for allowing my comments Brother Wise.:boss::confident:

19. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have found some progress that I wanted to report back with you all.
    Currently the State of Missouri offers free fishing license to Veterans
    rated 60% or more service connected.