Military: dog tags

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Rat, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    Any veterans out there still have their dog tags? Reason I'm asking, mine came off the day I got out,(1988) and were put in a box. A couple weeks ago I got this strange urge to put them back on and can't quite figure it out. I'm the type of guy that follows these strange feelings, cause if I don't it'll keep nagging at me til I do so I might as well get it over with. Wearing mine again made me curious, what did you folks do with yours? Still have them, lost em or have a pretty good idea where they are but aren't sure?
    Rat

2. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Rat,

My Dog Tags came off when I left the Service in 1977. I know exactly where they are, but have never had a desire to put them back on...lol.

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Mine came off in 1968 and have been stored away every since. I am going to pass them on to my oldest grand child along with my other service mementos.

4. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    I still carry 1 in my wallet and 1 on the left boot with a set on the dresser.

5. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    i have mine put up with the medals i got

6. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Mine came off in 66 and I stuck them in a small jewelry chest that sits on the dresser. I haven't looked for them or even noticed them since. I suppose they are still there.

7. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    be careful with those it contains your social security number
    thats a drawback to haveing them with you...........:sad:

8. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I have my originals issued in 65 as an enlisted man and my original officer tags after going to OCS.In those days they didn't have social security numbers rather your service number which was different depending on whether you were a voulunteer (RA) or draftee (US).I occasionaly look at them and my youngest son has asked to have them so I suppose I'll turn them over eventually.:)

9. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Just wanted to say thanks to all you veterns that served our great country. That stood up for what you believed in. God bless you all.

10. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    Jul. 11, 1969 The Army broke another tie with tradition last week, sending the traditional G.I. serial number into retirement along with the pack mule and the Sam Browne belt. From now on, new soldiers will find their civilian Social Security numbers on their dogtags instead. The switch is to accommodate the Pentagon's new centralized and computerized payroll system. The Army says that the new procedure will be easier for servicemen, who will now have only one set of numerals to remember instead of two.That argument is rather specious, since the number of soldiers who carry their Social Security numbers in their...i thought mine from 78 had ssn instead of asn but since mine were lost/stolen i cant say for certain what was on the as far as numbers went .

11. armynavy

armynavy New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Took mine off in 1989, put them in jewerly box, 2 ex-wives and 50 moves later they are MIA. So if anyone finds them please send them home.

12. suddawg

suddawg New Member

I'll be taking mine off for good in a couple years. They've been to the sandbox 5 times, and hopefully that'll be it. Definately something to hold onto for sentimental value. It's hard to explain to someone what a cheap piece of pressed metal can me to someone. Thanks

SudDawg

13. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Goodness, that brought back memories... RA25690429 ... yep thats me. lol

14. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    Took mine off in 1989. Three years ago, I split them up and gave one to my daughter and one to my son. Haven't a clue what she did with it but my son wore it for awhile.

15. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    I took mine off in '71 and have no idea what I did with them. I do still remember my service number though.

How much money were you guys making when you went in? I remember my pay started off at $93.00 per month.

16. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I still have my dog tags... I took them off 50 years ago this past March. Will never forget that number.

I also have one my uniforms, copies of some of my orders, pictures and some other things I collected over my service years.

I think my starting pay was around $46 a month after they took out for the allotment going to my parents.

17. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    TEA,the baby is sure getting big,cute as a button also.Looks like you are enjoying fatherhood.Haven't seen you to much on here lately.Got a problem on your chest LOL:) ;)

18. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    58$ a month pvt E-1,was honor graduate out of basic and got promoted to E-2 78$.When I made PFC it was 99$ and couldn't spend it all.Was sent straight to Germany out of AIT.Of course a bottle of booze was 1.00$ ,a cheeseburger was 15cents ,a movie 25 cents.Cigarettes 10 cents a pack so a PFC had lots of spending cash.After all the monthly and annual donations like Red Cross etc and the KP fund were taken out there wasn't much left but it went a long way.;)

19. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    Still have mine, I keep them with my discharge, Marine Corps, Dec 61 to
    April 66, mine have a real svs number...no social.

20. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I took mine off in 1967, and I still have them. No idea as to what the pay was then, to long ago for me to remember. I do know I made a lot of money loaning out each month. Even the the troop comander needed a little help now and then, of course he got off with a lot lower interest than the rest.