Milford Lake

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by n2fishn, Apr 8, 2008.

1. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Has anyone been to Melvern....??

I heard rumor last week that they were catching some 15 -20lb blues in the upper end of the lake.

And then i seen today on the KDWP site that Melvern is good for cats in the upper end on the flats above sundance for blues up to 20lbs...

2. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    tom,are you talking about milford or melvern?:confused2:

3. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Come on Tom---make up your mind. You know I confuse EZ.

4. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Sorry guys i have Milford of my mind.

Melvern is the lake I'm asking about.

5. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    ah youre talkin about sundance so i shoulda known.we ran some lines around that area last year and caught some really nice channels and one 10lb blue.i would really like to figure that lake out.its hard to drift due to the rock bottom lakewide.but i to have heard that the blues are getting good size.

6. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    I lived only about 20 miles from Melvern for 21 yrs so i know the lake pretty well.It and Pomona was the lakes i alwas fished.

Drift fishing east of the sundance bridge can be really good fishing with a south wind.Starting over in the mouth of the cove east of the park and drifting all the way across to the cove on the north side east of the old hwy.
    Nice clean bottom there just use flat or rope sinkers.

Tonka point is outstanding during the pre spawn time pitching shrimp in the rocks or bobber fishing works real well there also.

West of sundance on the north bank when there is a good south wind can also produce some good cats put hard to drift with all the snags/stumps better to tie down in that area.
    The old rock road that is a 1/4 mile west of the bridge on the north side is where i would back the truck out on 100-200 yards out until the water hit the bumper then would fish out of the bed of the truck alwas produce,

And fishing the river from the river ramp back out to the lake is some outstanding fishing all yr.Pulled some big flats out of there both rod and set lines.

Sorry i got carried away talking about fishing which i tend to do sometimes, anyhow you need to fish that lake every chance you get.

Oh i did'nt mention this ... best **** blood fishing river i have ever seen.

7. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    When you guys driffed fish for cats do you put the bait on the bottom or do you play with different depths? What baits do you use? Hope you dont mind all the questions. I have never fished for cats this way. Always anchored or fished off the bank.

Tom

8. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    I like to use a three way swivel with the weight on the bottom.Then you can play with the tag end to adjust your weight from the bottom.This will keep your bait off the bottom a little bit and reduce hang-ups.

You can also just use a carolina rig but you want a swivel so your line dont get all twisted.

As for baits most anything you use will work for driffting
    ie: shad,shrimp,crawfish,worms,blood,etc.etc

Give it a try sometime. A lot of the time in the middle of the day it can be one of the best ways to catch cats.The most important thing to remember when driffting is speed control.

9. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Good luck on your trip, hopefully fish will start hitting soon

10. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Tom M., like Tom said, to add to it, I use 6# test on my drop line(sinker), that way if it does get hung up, that's usually all you lose.

11. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Jim, did you guys get the Catoon out yet?

12. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Keith, just last weekend, when we tried to get up the river and got stuck:smile2: weather hasn't been cooperating to much since then.

13. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I tried 2 weekends ago to go up the river. I chickened out when the water got down to 6 inches deep and I still had 200 yards to the opening.

14. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Jay,
    Just looked at the USGS flow at Clay Center, 1090CFS, wow, that oughta help clean out that channel at the mouth a little bit, couple thousand would be alot better though. Next nice day, we'll head up that way and try again, just not so hard this time:smile2:
    The lake level was up to 1144.86ft, so that'll help getting into the river, specially if it keeps climbing. They were only letting 146 out at the dam.