Milford Lake

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by cat lineman, Mar 2, 2007.

1. cat lineman

cat lineman New Member

State:
    kansas
    Just wondering if anyone had been hitting the lake at all, and if so if they had any luck.Dad had heard they were catching fish,I was just trying to follow up on that. Thanks

2. KS_Mudcats

KS_Mudcats New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I only really fish Milford the week before the 4th of July and the week after. Had all my luck there around that time.

3. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    I have only hit up Geary State Lake this year but am going to try Potowatomi and Milford this weekend.

4. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Steve,
    Are you going to be shore or boat fishing? Jerald and I will be on the lake Sunday, probably up North of School Creek (don't bother going to Curtis or Timber, can't get your boat in at either one). Saturday it's supposed to blow pretty hard, we'll be shore fishing then. Look for a 20' Catoon, flag on the anchor light, that'll be us.

5. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    I bank fish only, due to the fact that I have no boat. I just got back from Potowatomy and it was not that great. Will be going to Milford tonight tho, probably around the mud flats near Wakefield.

6. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Jerald and me fished from the shore today, in drizzled on us occasionally, but it was worth it, we caught a combination of 14 Blue and Channel Cats, most of them on home made dip bait. Jerald caught 3 Blues on cut goldfish. Even the Blues were hitting the dip bait.
    Biggest were 4+ lbs, Blues and Channels, most were between 2.5 and 3.5 lbs. Here's the stringer just before we left and while we bled them.

Attached Files:

7. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Here's one I thought posted but didn't, Jerald holding the stringer.

Attached Files:

8. lobo

lobo New Member

State:
    ks
    fished it fri got about 12 4to5 pound range all blues was in my friends bout

9. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Does anyone know what the regulations are for throwing a cast net on Milford Lake?

10. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    I know that you can NOT catch bluegill perch and sunfish with a cast net. I found that out the hard way. I grew up my entire life in Texas where those are not considered game fish. I net them all the time back home. Did it here for a month or so till I ran into the game warden. Thank god he cut me a break.

Jim, that is a good catch. Hopefuly I can get out this weekend and have some good results. I tried to go out sunday but it was just too windy.

11. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I used to castnet alot of bluegils for bait. I had a game warden tell me it was legal. He said I could castnet all the sunfish, bluegils, carp, or shad that I wanted. I guess I had better check the regulations again.

12. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
  13. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks for the post Gary, I appreciate it.

14. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    I will go to conservation tomorrow and talk to them. I want to get a deffinate answer from them before I test out the law.

15. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Johnny,
    You can use a cast net on Milford Lake, but there are some new restrictions on just what you're allowed to keep, like Steve said, nothing that is considered a game fish. I know we used to keep Bluegill and green perch, I'm not sure if they're illegal now or not. There's some clarification in the new fishng reg though.

16. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Gary,
    Thanks for the link, I answered Steve before I came to page two.

17. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    I know I got tore up by the game warden last year for catching bluegill and sunfish with a cast net. Not in Milford but they told me it was state law. Bluegill are considered game fish here he said and it was not allowed. I will be going to talk to him tomorrow. I want clarification on this because I am a huge fan of the cast net.

18. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    Here is what I read on baitfish

sunfish family (Centrarchidae), excluding black basses and crappie,
    which may be used only if caught by hook and line.

Now does that mean that the black bass and crappie need to be caught by hook and line or is it excluding black bass and crappie as bait fish and is stating that the sunfish family has to be caught on hook and line?

19. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    The law also states NO sport fish can be caught with a net. Sportfish include the following...

Sport fish: Northern pike, walleye, sauger, saugeye, yellow perch, striped bass, white bass, wiper (white bass/striped bass hybrid), black bass ( largemouth, spotted, and smallmouth), trout, channel catfish, blue catfish, flathead catfish, paddlefish, and panfish ( bullhead, black and white crappie, bluegill, redear sunfish, green sunfish, warmouth, and rock bass).

20. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    I am not the greatest fisherman in the world but I spent more than a few years of my life in law enforcement. With laws it is never what is ment, but how it is interpreted. I would fair to say that the statutes quoted above would lead a reasonable and prudent man to believe that sunfish, included in the category of baitfish can only be used if caught by hook and line. Bluegill, not being named as baitfish would be completely restricted from the use of a net being named as a sport fish.

Just my $0.02