Milford lake maps?????

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by ksgoosekillr, Jan 21, 2010.

1. ksgoosekillr

ksgoosekillr Member

State:
    Kansas
    Im always searching for the best maps of the lakes i fish? What all maps do you guys own for milford. I have the High Def navionics paper map, along with the platinum navionics card for milford but non really show the west end with any detail. Have any of you guys found a map that does?

2. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    My SI shows it in pretty good detail. :wink:

3. ksgoosekillr

ksgoosekillr Member

State:
    Kansas
    YA well the only side imaging on my boat is when i catch a jet ski out of the corner of my eye!....

give it a month and ill have the down scan! hopefully

4. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Thanks to the nice folks at Humminbird, we have down Imaging too!

I haven't seen any real detailed maps of the shallows at Milford. Where are you refering to when you say West side? You wanting a good map of around pelican point area? My Navionics chip has good contour and depths there, it doesn't show where all the "junk" is though. Like the old road beds and submerged concrete guard rails. but I have mapped most of that with my SI and know where most of it is.

5. sand rat

sand rat New Member

State:
    kansas
    Next time you head to Milford, go west about 7 miles to the turn off to Chapman, as you enter the town on the right is a bait shop. Chapman creek fly and tackle. 785 922 6630

Take a look at their maps it might be what your looking for.

Hope this helps

Sand Rat

6. ksgoosekillr

ksgoosekillr Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks for the suggestion, i actually know there selection well i stop there on my way through to wakefield, actually turn there to head north, every time im thru. Its where i buy all my casting spoons for whitebass/wipers.

Jay,
    yah i have the same chip that you do, well maybe not the same mine is the 2010 navionics platinum0 chip but navionics hasnt updated milfdord since 08.... it does show the contours well, but like you said all the junk and roads are non existant... I know where all the concrete and rebar is out from pelican, im looking for more contour depths up close to the shore both south of wakefield in the timber, and north of the causeway. Both of those areas are not real well mapped. Im in the process of getting a map from 1961 of clay country roads and streams, and overlay it on the lake map. I did this for wilson reservoir and it looks pretty well... Only thing i dont like about navionics is that there isnt a real distinct channel fromt he causeway bridge out south of the causeway for quite a distantance... till it picks up close to the south shore, it will be nice to see where that stream ran in 1961, so i know exactly where the orginal channel was.....

7. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    The North end isn't mapped because it silts in so bad that any mapping will be irrelevant after a couple years. Up north is shallow mud flats as you know. The silting process has eliminated any abrupt contour change up there. It starts at about 8' at the causeway and slowly tapers to 6" deep all the way up North as you probablly know also. That is the same reason the river channel isn't mapped on the Nav chip up north. It is silted in from just South of Wakefield all the way up to the mouth of the river. The channel originally went between the west bank of the causeway on the Wakefield side and the first piling of the bridge. It followed the bluffs below Wakefield before turning Northeast and heading to the mouth of the river. Like I mentioned it is completely silted in. Even going over it with 2d or SI up north, you can not detect the channel. As far as the flooded timber south of Wakefield, my only guess for not mapping that is all the submerged timber. Maybe they didn't want to risk their equipment mapping 3 foot of water with submerged timer and concrete everywhere.

The lake map on the Corps website, it has the original channel marked. You can click on the map and download a PDF version and zoom in to see the original channel.
    http://www.nwk.usace.army.mil/mi/LakeMap.cfm

8. sand rat

sand rat New Member

State:
    kansas
    I've never been in the Wakefield area yet. Could you be so kind to give me a hint of where the concert and lower unit eating timber is please. I've been working my way north and haven't made it that far yet. Dissecting the lake a little at a time.

Sand Rat