Milford Lake, Junction City Kansas

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by Carwash, Nov 13, 2006.

1. Carwash

Carwash New Member

State:
    Kansas
    For those of you who fish or have fished Milford Lake for Blue Cat I will update you on my personal catch this year. The lake was first stocked with blue cat in 1990. The fish & game say that the largest fish should top the scales around 50 lbs, not bad for 16 years. I have spent many hours over the past 3 years fishing for large blue cat, using large bait. On the morning of November 8th at 5:30 am I caught my largest fish that weighed in at 56.2 lbs. The following next morning I caught a 53.3 lb fish. Thats makes 5 fish in 2006 that weighed over 50 lbs. The lake seems to be full of 25 to 40 lb fish. I've caught 108 fish this year over 20 lbs but the majorty weigh in between 25 and 40 lbs. They seem to be growing about 5 lbs a year. I hope I'm around when they get 80 lbs. I catch all my fish on the drop offs and in shallow water next to the drop off. I find that fresh shad is the only bait that works. Sometime's only guts, other times large chunks and once in a while a 9" dead shad with the skin pulled off of the sides. If your going to fish for blue cat my experence will tell you that your going to catch more big fish if you fish from 1:00am to 9:00 am. When its dark there on the move and travel great distance to feed and they travel in schools. When the sun rises they lay down and you won't catch the numbers that you will when its dark. Milford offers some great blue cat fishing and in the years ahead should produce some very large fish. Car Wash

2. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Cool. Thanks for the post carwash. Got any photos? I'm from Missouri, you must show me. Ha. Welcome to the BOC. Looking forward to reading your posts.

3. beakus

beakus New Member

State:
    derby kansas
    a guy i work with has been trying to get us up there but we didnt make it this year so you can bet your ass i'll be there next year.you woulnt give a little info on where to start looking for these guys would you?my buddy has talked about some fingers up at the north end off the highway?

4. Carwash

Carwash New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I stopped taking pictures along time ago but these fish were keep in my livewell and transported to a Tuttle Creek resevoir thats 15 miles away. I took them to the outlet of the dam where myself and the local fishermen hang out and we weighted them and released them. I 've released 33 blue cat over 25 lbs into this lake this year. They started stocking blue cat in Tuttle Ck 3 years ago and the fish & game said it was ok to help out.

I fish the north end of Milford which they call the wakefield area. I have to tell you that 90% on the fishermen on this lake that fish for blue's drift with cut bait. The problem with that is they catch small fish, once in a while you will pick up one 20 lbs or more but usually 3 to 6 lbs. I anchor in on drop offs and fish the river channel. If a school of blue's start milling around I can catch 8 fish over 25 lbs in 5 hours. Your not going to do that driften. April, May and June are the best months. When the water gets warm they head for deeper water which is only 10 minutes by boat. You can get a map online and it shows you the river channel, they love to run the edge of the channel. For the record I can say it is full of big blues and every year the 2 pounders drive ya crazy so the spawn is going well.