Milford Lake fishing

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Catfish Fever, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Drew visited with us this weekend, we fished yesterday, during the "doldrums":roll_eyes:, never even got bit, shad, dip, punch, shrimp, just wasn't working.
    Yesterday the wind was blowing around 20mph, we caught a couple of nice eaters at every place we fished, Dedication Point, School Creek, Curtis Creek and a couple other places. We had a pretty good weekend Catfishing over all. Most were caught on dipbait. Couple of hits on the shrimp.
    According to USGS, the water is 53deg, it gets down to 50 or so, the Blues should start hitting from the shore, hope fully. It's been pretty weird fishing this year, at least from the shore. This spring, couldn't catch any Channels, just Blues, now it's just Channels and VERY few Blues:sad2:

2. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Thanks for the report Jim.Sounds like you had a very good weekend.Tell Drew i said Hi.

3. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Thanks Jim for keeping us updated on the fishing in your area.

4. flattymatty

flattymatty New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Thanks for the report Jim. I've been wanting to get back out there to Milford since the gathering and do some fishing. Might just have to make that trip here sometime soon. Tell Drew I said what's up. :wink::cool2:

5. mdspoula

mdspoula New Member

State:
    Kansas
    That is better luck than I had over the weekend. I spent about 6 hours between the tubes and the mouth of the vermillion. I didn't have a bite on Saturday or Sunday. I saw one person catch a drum at the tubes so it was pretty worthless even though it was nice outside. I did give my dog a good workout by throwing the tennis ball in the river and watching him get it about 15 times.

6. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Thanks for the report.

7. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    mdspoula,you need to downsize you bait in colder water,a full grown dog is just too big a bait this time of year:big_smile::big_smile::crazy:

8. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Matt, be careful what you post, PETA might be reading here, they'd accuse you of cruelty to animals:eek:oooh:, making that poor dog jump in the cold water just for your enjoyment:roll_eyes:, I was gonna include the ASPCA, but they do allow the show "Dock Dogs" so I guess you're safe there:smile2:
    Nice to see you posting too:wink:

9. mdspoula

mdspoula New Member

State:
    Kansas
    They still biting out by you Jim? I went by Cawker city for Pheasant hunting this past weekend and haven't thought much about fishing. I found out my dog is a dumb dumb when it comes to finding birds. He sniffed one out and walked a good 50 yards in front of us to scare one out. No chance on shooting that bird. I got a good workout though.

10. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Thanks for the info Bill. It was bound to happen sooner or later though. We get a lot of out of staters, and from other parts of Kansas, and judging from the way the behave on the lake wouldn't surprise me, some of them could care less what they spread and where they spread it to.

11. Catman66086

Catman66086 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Hate to hear this. Milford is a great lake. The only positive spin I can put on it is that Milford has a good population of blues to help keep the zebras in check.

Jason

12. sand rat

sand rat New Member

State:
    kansas
    I drifted Milford Thur. Not having drifted the lake for blues. I started at the dam and drifted to the state park side. The first blue at five lb. came in about 20 min. about a hundred yrds. form the Dam in 50ft. of water. We were using cut shad. Gut pockets did better than heads. The siren sounded at the dam just after the first fish, I think they opened the gates a little and it might have shut the bite down some who knows.

We managed 4 blues total, the largest was 8lb, I had five other bites that didn't hook up. The blues either slamed the bait or just hit it once and never came back. Most of our hits came in 30 to 40 ft. of water.

I'm thinking about going back Sunday and try a little further down the lake. I dont know where most people drift Milford. I figure I have to go hunting.

Sand Rat

Ps. Man that fog really sucked Thursday morning. Driving form Lawrence took awhile to get to Junction city. Sometimes I only had 50 ft of visibility.

13. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Sorry if I dash anybody's hopes, but when I got the notice that the
    zebra mussels had gotten into the Kansas River I figured we were pretty
    well boned as far as containing them goes. Maybe we should start
    dredging them up to eat. Seems like a good number of the critters
    that go under do so because one or another group of humans decide
    they are a delicacy. I was at the Golden Wok last week and they had
    little mussels about the size of a quarter cooked in a black bean
    sauce. Now, granted, they were more shell than meat, but they went
    down really well for me. If me and Keith decided they were worth the
    trouble to eat then them things would surely end up on the endangered
    list within ten years. Maybe they would work in a turkey stuffing like
    oysters do...

14. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil

15. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Jim, you can't get me drunk enuff to tell you about that. One word from
    me to you on that shell game and they would be laughing at me from
    here to Terra Haute. I have learned to peel the carapace off of shrimp,
    even though it takes away the crunchyness. Ever tried grasshoppers?

16. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    See post in this Kansas Lakes and Reservoirs about Milford

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009