MIL: the Crazy Season is Upon Us.

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by captslomo, May 14, 2018.

1. captslomo

captslomo Well-Known Member

State:
    North Carolina
    What a baffling day on MIL--especially for a weekday before Memorial Day.

Decided to try more upriver and see if the fish I was finding two weeks ago had started migrating to the shallower sections in pursuit of the ladies. First thing I noticed: the water looked like crap.
    IMAG1589.jpg
    Tons of algae and grass and floating debris and sticks and general schmutz. No current. Then there were the oddly disturbing catfish carcasses bobbing in the water, looking all mangled and partially fileted, as if someone tried to clean them last night, and finally just gave up and pitched them overboard. But the carcasses went well with the 8 bottles and pieces of flotsam trash they also threw overboard. I was able to net several of those while trolling by and put them in the dumpster for the miscreants, since apparently that was too much effort for them.:unhappy:

Then with the delightfully cool morning turning into a sauna bath about 10 am...out came the crazies. First; not one, but two sparkle boaters came roaring by at full throttle between me and the bank. I was barely 100 feet off the shore, with the rest of the lake open behind me. They didn't hit the planers, but it was close. Then a pontoon full of blue hairs made a sudden veering turn to the inside and also crowded between me and the nearby shore. In all three cases, I'm whistling and hollering and waving my arms and pointing to the planers, without anyone so much as glancing in my direction.

The final crazy was a young couple in a ski boat...coming from a half mile away on a beeline, right between me and several docks. It was so tight they barely had room to fit inside the planers without hitting the docks, but they kept on going, full speed ahead. Pity my camera had died by then. Woulda made a nice pic for the water police.:photogenic:

Oh, the fish. Ended up with 12 for the day, most in the 8-14 pound range. IMAG1587.jpg IMAG1593.jpg
    Three of the cats were getting geared up for the spawn, and one was already black, scarred up and had a big raw hole on his head. The rest were typical shiny MIL blues.

Fight of the day was this 8 pounder, who hit a yellow road runner jig tipped with a white perch morsel hanging about 10 under water. About a ten minute fight on my ultralight rod. Lots of fun.

IMAG1592.jpg

Three of the cats were caught suspended 8-10 feet down under a slip bobber. I suspect this may have been because there were a LOT of small shad dimpling the surface all morning.

The early bites were very tentative, but by about 10 am, they were crushing the baits when they hit. Most hit cut perch, with a few on chicken. Fish were scattered between shallow coves, channel shoulders and deep pockets, but most were deep.

brocat, Mac-b, nbare123 and 7 others like this.
  2. gotta_fish

gotta_fish Active Member

State:
    nc
    Name:
    put your name
    Nice post Capt . You a brave man to be on MIL , I ride over that pond on my way back and forth to work , I cant believe how many boat are on that thing in the summer.

Mac-b and mintaka like this.

3. ole cat

ole cat New Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Stan Moore
    Very nice catch. Just curious, were you fishing on a weekday or the weekend?

Mac-b likes this.
  4. brocat

brocat Member

State:
    Quincy, IL
    Name:
    Bruce
    Sounds like a great day of fishing in spite of all the morons. It's a wonder more people aren't hurt or killed with boaters like that. Be safe!

Mac-b and gotta_fish like this.
  5. captslomo

captslomo Well-Known Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Monday morning. First couple of hours, had the place to myself. Then, I didn't. :eek1:

Mac-b likes this.