mil foil

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE RIVERS TALK' started by ibmeubu, Sep 15, 2008.

1. ibmeubu

ibmeubu New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I'm not sure if I spelled it right or not ,but I was just thinking about all the grass or Mil Foil that has taken over the Tennessee river . I live in the area between old Danville bridge and Interstate 40. There is hardly anywhere you can get out of the main channel of the river without getting clogged down from the grass. I have honey holes marked with my GPS that were 25 to 35 ' deep that I can no longer get to . what is you all's opinion of the grass. I here as many pros as I do cons about it.

2. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I fish Guntersville and the grass has made drifting almost impossible. Its great
    for bass fishing and probably all fish benefit from the cover and forage fish the
    grass holds but it makes catfishing tough. I have found that if you fish the
    river especially where there is current the grass is not as bad as in the back
    water.

3. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I think that the "Water Weed" situation has two different faces ,or at least that how we see it.
    When there is little or no aquatic vegitation in a lake, the Desert effect takes over. Fish relate to heavy wood and Tend to suspend on geographic breaks.
    When it is a forest of plants, just the opposit seems to be in play.
    Grass creats edges due to bottom make up and water depth. These edges create places for fish to be and Lots of oxygen rich ,cooler, shade.

Also the real Plus- Plus.. is the food base for forage fish and fry.

Grass is good , and just as some situation allowed it to get so prevelent .. something will change to get it back to .Normal.....
    Almost like a cycle.

I don't know; but like the rest, I get darn tired of unwrapping the stuff of the props but I just gotta think in the Big Picture its just a page in Mother Nature's big Blueprint book.
    Interesting topic, thanks ibm..

Good Luck and Get after them.

4. ibmeubu

ibmeubu New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    To start with I don't like it but, The best explanation I have been told is this. Back in the late 40's when tva flooded the river there were many trees and stumps and and all kinds of under growth that was covered with water . In the time that has passed sinse then (61+years) all this is gone . So now the grass is needed for the fish. I have my doubts because the last 4 years before mil foil the catfish were plentyful. Now unless they are pulling current you just don't catch many catfish up here. maybe they are feeding under the mil foil ,but hell it's such a hassel to manuver in the stuff it's not hardly worth it. I do know this though the bass fisherman love it . and I do know TVA could get rid of it . I got in behind some the other day (shallow water) and inorder to get out I to back track 4 miles. and getting to the bank if it is not a creek channel , well forget it

5. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Ibm,

I ment to ask and forgot.
    What happens to your Milfoil when the water temps drop and post freeze? Most of what I am aware of lives in a hot water lake envornment ..(cooling lake) so I was just curious as to if the stuff dies and has to come back around in the winter or if it just gets dormite.?

rg

6. ibmeubu

ibmeubu New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Duckpoor
    Not sure yet. I know we had it once before (about 4 years ago)but I think TVA did something to get rid of it . Will see how it does now that it has started to cool off.
    I haven't been to the river in about a week but am going tommorrow to see if dropping the river has had any effect on it. It has been down to 49 last night and I know they have dropped the river a lot in the last 5 days