MIL 12/23

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by BigBird, Dec 23, 2009.

1. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    The purpose of the trip today was to teach a coworker how to drift. The drifting was good but the catching wasnt.
    Started at 9am. Real foggy-took another hour for the fog to burn off. I putted around until fog lifted. I fished all over MIL today. I only caught two perch. No cat bites today. I fished from one dam to the other in multiple depth zones, with no bait being charted or cats. Very rare not to chart any bait balls but didnt see any all day. Not sure what was going on.
    It looks like they dropped the water level today but it didnt help us. MIL was off for me today.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  2. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Thanks for the report from MIL.

I have never seen a lot of bait on MIL, at least not like Wylie or Wateree. My reasoning is that the lake is so small, and they move so much water thorugh the lake, most of the bait moves to the bank. Also, I wonder how fertile the lake is with that much water coming out of the bottom of Lake Norman.

I should fish there more than I do, especially since it is so close to the house. It is one of those lakes that is feast or famine for me...with famine taking the lead!!

:wink:

Wylie was about like yesterday for me. Lots of small fish biting. Just for giggles I rode way up the South Fork River past the hot water discharge. The water was 41 DEGREES!!! WOW!! Amazing as it is, some small fish bit, but nothing to write home about.

You are right about the lake level. Norman is slightly below target elevation, and MIL has been dropping all day. I assume this being done ahead of the rains they are expecting Thursday.

You know what they say about dropping water?? Fishing don't bite on dropping water!!

Gotta have something to blame it on don't we??

:smile2:

3. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    bait could have been shallow

4. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    could have been, we pulled one drift shallow but no takers. i should have went with ya'll:wink:

5. shrewboy

shrewboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Just thought I would let you all know that there has been alot of water moving the past few weeks at MIL. From bigbird and wyliecats post, sounds like they are still moving it this week as well. Almost every morning and the few times I been near the lake in the evenings I have seen it moving. Don't know how much longer it will continue. So if you can, take avantage of it, I know I won't be able to for so time.:sad2:

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    The next few days will be the time to be out there.

All this Christmas day rain will raise the rivers and lake. Fish will bite on the rising and moving water. I think once it starts to fall drastically the bite dies off like it has the past week.

7. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    Ditto to that,Team Green is gonna hit Wateree early Sat. morning.:wink:

8. holliswood

holliswood Well-Known Member

State:
    King, NC
    Hey guys, I don't have a boat. Can you fish from the shore at MIL? If so, is it decent or worth the trip from stokes county nc? Thanks!

9. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Hollis i dont bank fish but you can follow up with mintaka or maybe a couple other guys that fish mil from the bank.

10. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    You can fish the lake from the shore including the headwaters if you're willing to trudge 'over hill and dale' for about an hour. Below the headwaters there are , from my experience , at least 20 spots I've fished over the last 3 years. Most are not as treacherous to get to as the above , but during the drought of 2007 , it seemed I had its entirety to myself. Regarding making an exodus from Surry , I'd recommend doing so with time to kill and sufficient bait. The best time to fish there has been at night at the Riverbend ramp on hwy.16. I'll obtain a boat so I'll be able to fish all spots and be better prepared to disseminate information regarding both styles of fishing. If you do decide to come , I wish you luck!!

11. holliswood

State:
    King, NC
    Thanks Mason! I'm looking forward to trying out some different places to fish. I don't know if I'll ever find just one place I like to fish :big_smile:

12. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Since you don't have a boat, give me a call after the holidays and I will take you and the kids, if you have any or your wife fishing on Lake Norman in my boat at no cost to you. Mac 704-483-4906

PS, it will be a morning trip and I will furnish everything except your drinks and treats.

13. Live Baiter

Live Baiter New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I would highly recommend taking that trip with Mac- if you are wanting to catch fish, he's the man that will put you on them! Super nice guy!

14. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Couldn't have said it any better! You'll have a great experience that's for sure:wink:

15. holliswood

State:
    King, NC
    Thanks mac! I'll take you up on that. I'll have to let the weather warm up some. It messes my diabetes up. I gotta get better with the bait caster to :embarassed: