Might get to fish the White River

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by Critter Getter, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Critter Getter

Critter Getter New Member

State:
    Elnora, Indiana
    Theres a good possibility that i'm gonna be in Elnora this weekend and am going to try to do some fishing on the white there. I've fished it off of the bank but never from a boat so this time I think I'm gonna take out the jon boat if possible. I'm wanting to try a different approach on flatheadin. I've always tightlined for them with circle hooks, but with the jon boat not being mine, it has no rod holders. I really don't want one of my poles to decide that I'm not treating it good enough anymore and jump in the water, so I want to try using the bait clicker and getting them on the run. I know there are a few of you on here that do this with good luck and I have a question or two for ya. My biggest question is hook type. Would my circle hooks work just fine or should I switch over to a kahle or J-hook?

2. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    i exclusively use circles.. and i use clickers on them all the time. when a fish takes of with it just grab it engage the real and just hold it so the fish can load it up then what i like to do is give it a little pop about a foot quick snap. and then hold on for the fight. that little pop lets that hook sink in a lil deeper.

3. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    some like circles some dont. im sure they hook just fine if you can learn not to set. if you start getting short runs and drops with the clickers,turn them off and try a loose drag setting instead:wink: sometimes they spook on my river,especially if your using braids. i hope you get some hogs brother!

4. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Good advise right there.... theres somebody here I hope that reads this... he fishes circles and tries to cross eyes like they're J hooks.... drives me NUTS man!!!!

Any way I Only use J's... IMO, for live bait and a flatties mouth structure- theres nothing better...

5. billyballard

billyballard New Member

State:
    Dugger,Indiana
    there are some great holes in Elnora...kinda hard to get to a few of em tho... Circle hooks will work for ya.. I use em all the time.... WE will be at edwardsport this weekend.. if the bite aint on in Elnora come down there...

6. Critter Getter

Critter Getter New Member

State:
    Elnora, Indiana
    Ain't too far, I might have to make the trip. I know I'll be out Friday night late providing I get off work before midnight... Prolly gonna be hanging deer stands the rest of the weekend.

Pepper, I got a buddy that tries to rip their lips off everytime he sets the hook on any fish. So far he has flipped/fallin out of 3 jon boats bass fishing and thrown more than a couple fish over the top of the boat after setting the hook :eek:oooh:

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  7. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Pay attention fellas, that's priceless tip right there. :wink:

8. RonSki

RonSki New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yes it is, too bad somebody didn't tell me that BEFORE yesterday! Maybe I would have caught something then :sad2: Where I normally fish they NEVER act like that.