Might get some ice

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Phil Washburn, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    the weatherman said a little ice maybe today...tonite and most likely some tomorrow.

stepped out on the deck at 10:30 this morn and it was chilly. started down the steps and said to myself "i should put some salt down on the steps".....said that as i was lying on my back looking up at the overcast sky:smile2:

went over a little bridge a half hour later and my ole PU got sideways without encouragement from me.

you all be safe in the winter weather and we'll all be there for some good spring fishing:wink:

2. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    crazy weather this year huh? While I was home in Dec, it was in the 70's a couple of days, now freezing?

3. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    Every school in NW AR has or is going to let out by 2:00 today. John and I left at noon-- he had to fill our propane tank for our stove in the living room...it saved us 2 years ago, as we got ice and down the lines went. Where we live it may take 2 days or more for them to get to us.

they are also saying that when it starts up this afternoon, it's gonna get bad fast and roads will be hazardous.

At least we'll be warm. I'm home and I am not leaving. Supposed to start here with drizzle (all ready seeing that) and then freezing rain then sleet then snow then thunderstorms then more sleet. :/ this afternoon and tomorrow. Expecting a 1/2 inch on power lines and trees, and 1/2 inches on the roads with the major concentration being at the AR line which we are 6 miles from.

UGHHHH I love the snow but I hate the ice.

If this weather is eminent for other BOC brothers and sisters, please get somewhere warm and be safe. and THIS is your weather report for the day, LOL!

4. kbgrillin

kbgrillin New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Here in NE Arkansas, It's gonna start getting nasty about 3 o'clock. Bring it on. I kinda like that stuff. As long as no one gets hurt.

5. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Steve and I went through that 2 years ago in December. We lived in town at the time,and the damage done was catastrophic. Trees,powerlines,down everywhere. Even the water went bad. We had to stay with my Sister for several days. I think my teens were out of school for at least 2 weeks. You guys be careful and stay safe.You all will be in my prayers.Sister Pat

6. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Well now Cher while your at home with nothing to do I'm sure CH could use some expert advice on tearing reels a part and putting back together.
    Oh yeah and helping him to decide on which reel (to buy) next.:wink::smile2:
    You all be careful down there.

7. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    No he's got me making him oatmeal raisin cookies before we lose power ( in the event that happens...) has stopped for now so maybe we'll be okay!

Hoping that HOPE and her bunch are not without power, they are getting it first then sending it our way...so kind of her :confused2::smile2::smile2:

8. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    In the early 90's we had an ice spell, in Central Texas, and it was one of the worst we've ever had. We lost power for almost a week. The only good thing about it was that we had gas heat and a gas stove. The bad thing about it was not having any lights, other than lanterns and candles. When it got dark, it got dark...lol I was working Patrol back then and the Sheriff's Office that i worked for was in a rural area. I think there were more wrecks in just a few short hours than we normally had all year. On the second day of the event, I was driving to work and the midnight shift was working an accident. I stopped to relieve him and my shift partner also came out. We were standing there when an 18 wheeler came around a curve, lost control, and was sliding sideways toward us. The midnight shift deputy was in his car and couldn't get traction on the ice. He was just spinning in pace. My partner and I ran, but didn't know which way to run. The truck straightened up and missed the two of us but hit the patrol car with the deputy in it. We ran over to see if he was okay and he wasn't in the car. The first thing we saw was his hat underneath the passenger side. We were calling his name but didn't get a response. We went around to the other side of the car and he was lying on the ground next to it. When he couldn't get any traction, he decided at the last minute to get out and run. When the 18 wheeler hit his car, it pushed it into him. Luckily he wasn't hurt. It shook us all up though.

I have to go into the Office today, have to drive to Waco. As i'm leaving, there's a slight drizzle and the temp has dropped to 32 in the last few minutes. I'm not worried about getting up there, just worried about all the other drivers coming back.

9. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    well, got up this morn and it was here and still coming. all ice. no snow or rain. we have at least 2 inches of it on the ground. decided to get a paper and coffee in town. couldn't even get out of the drive in my pickup. took the wifes geo tracker and made it about 75 feet(halfway up the hill) in front of the house and backed it back in the drive.:crazy:

we live on a low priority road, maintence wise, so we're here 'til it melts.:wink:

i will be close to the puter for a couple of days, it looks like:smile2:

10. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Hang in there Cher and Phil. I hope your power stays on. I noticed that Griz and some of the others are getting hit pretty hard, too, see the TNR thread over in the Kentucky section.

We put in a gas log a few years back, and it does a pretty good job of heating the house. We don't use it much, but it sure gives us peace of mind when ice storms threaten.

11. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Gosh Phil, this is the first bad weather we have experienced this year in Central Oklahoma. Seems like it as all been going around. Maybe we will get more than our share of the tornado's. My greatest hope is the dog and deer ticks didn't dig in far enough. LOL

12. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Here in So. Illinois, we have sleat and Ice. Started yesterday and is forcast to continue for another day or two. Some trees down and some power lines. Were still up and operating.:crazy::crazy:

13. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    Hope it stays that way too Mickey, I'll be thinking of ya'll too, cuz we're holding tight here and even if we lose lights we'll still have heat, that's why we put this propane stove in --- believe or don't it heats the house with no problems and we can run for a couple of weeks on a bottle-- we ran it last year just to see how long it would last us.

14. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    Couple of pics of the timber here coulda been heavier but don't know that it's over yet -- Hopefully YES.

Attached Files:

15. centexcop

State:
    Texas
    Cher that looks cold. I hope you have a pot of chili, stew or some chicken and dumplings on.

16. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Phil,No need to go anywhere in weather like that,My father in law lives in Stigler,said it was getting pretty bad there last nite as well.

17. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    John cooked a skillet of deer burger and I made some brown gravy and rice...It's still coming down and they say the big towns close to us have MANY there without power tonight, Just hoping to hang on here...supposed to keep this up till after midnight, but it was supposed to turn to snow...I haven't seen a snow flake yet!

18. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    the weatherman said it would quit by noon today. i had some nice new york strip steaks i wanted to grill. the wife suggested getting out a couple more of them and enticing a good friend to pick us up and we would grill them at his house. he has a 4wheel drive jeep with studded tires. so i said you come get me and i cook. he agreed. he picked the wife and i up at 2:30 and we ate at 4:30.

it was still coming down at 7pm. i am back at home and still locked in if i can't get someone with a 4wd to get me i will be here for maybe 2 more days.......someone want to drop a bottle of wine by? i can give a new york strip, some company, and maybe a moon game or 2 in return:smile2:

19. centexcop

State:
    Texas
    Its just starting good down here. Even though we won't get anything close to what you've go up there, I'm still not liking it.

20. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    we have 8 inches of snow ice combo on ground and still falling down