might be silly question!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by upncomincatfishking, Feb 25, 2008.

1. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    i was just wondering if i had this right the hotter it is outside the less oxygen there is in the water so the fish are deeper or less active or what determines how deep or shallow the fish are suspended.Barrometric pressure i know plays a big part in this but what else factors in on this?

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    you are on the right track bro. the hotter it is outside for a period of time, the warmer the water temp.s get. as the water temps. soar, there is a less amount of oxygen content. When the so called dog days of summer settle in, might try areas that would have a higher oxygen content, like below low head dams, or around shallow riffles where oxygen is higher. remember all fish need oxygen to survive, including the bait fish. so if you can pattern where the other species are moving to for their oxygen chances are the cats are right there as well..hope this helps some..goodluck....rollo

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    to answer the rest, most rivers i fish i don't have to worry about a thermocline, but on lakes and res. you do. the hotter the water gets, the fish will suspend and move to higher oxygen areas. if you can mark them on the depth finder, and figure out where the themocline is, then you can target them at them depths. I like to float fish this way. remember, even in the hottest conditions, the fish may change their patterns, and whereabouts, but they still feed! rollo

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for some good answers Rollo. I totally agree. I look for DH to grab this info and run with it.

5. BigCatter54

BigCatter54 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I agree with Rollo, if your fishin a lake in the late summer, you can tell pretty easily where the thermocline is by looking at you fish finder, all the fish will be stacked up on a certain level, found fishin lakes in the later summer work best with drift fishing, just set you lines to the depth right above the thermocline, and fish away!

6. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Rollo has is right on the dot.

Turbulent water such as the ones below dams are more oxygenated, that's why you'll see fish such as shad and stripers below dams during the heat of the summer. The water flowing down the dams is more oxygenated. Also try the mouths of feeder creeks. The water from the creeks are usually cooler and more oxygenated than the main river.

7. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    your asking about oxygen so im assuming your looking for lake/res. info. thats not my best subject so im learning along with you upncoming. keep the info coming guys, great answers!

8. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Good answer Rollo ol buddy! Folks, Rollo just gave you the fishermans version of Physics 101, molecular dispersion or density influenced by the temperature of a compound. :wink: