MIGHT AS WELL CATCH EM

Discussion in 'Gar Fishing' started by lazer20, Sep 19, 2009.

1. lazer20

lazer20 New Member

State:
    WV
    Just wondering if anyone out there spends their spare time catching gar while targeting cats from the bank. This year I have done alot of fishing on the Ohio river, (where it seems like there are more gar there than catfish). I went out and bought a lighted bobber and rigged it with a 10lb test steel leader and rigged a trebble hook with chunks of minnow or left over bait fish. I also added about 8 strips of gutted parachute cord to the hook. Before to long I was catching more gar than catfish. At night i was averaging about 5 an hour.

2. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    everytime i go to the trinity river my first rod is rigged with a bobber and steel leader for the massive alligator gar and then i set up for catting i usually get 3-4 gar a night most of the time all over 20 and still catch a ton of good cats usually as well

3. countryboy79

countryboy79 New Member

State:
    nc
    I will use a bobber and a piece of cut bait about 3 feet deep to catch gar just for fun. They will put up a good fight.:0a23:

4. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i wish we had alligator gar up this way i would like to try fishing for those monsters. im all for catching fish, i think i may take your alls lead and start rigging up a gar rod every once in a while to see how i can do. if nothing else it can keep me occupied while waiting for that illusive catfish i read so much about.

5. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    when fishing off the dock to pass time i try and catch em on top with a cane pole..spots not gators!!!:smile2: 2-3 foot psot will tug like hell on 8 feet of line and a stick lol

6. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Them Gar drive me crazy. Seems that is all I been getting bites from on this one hole I usually catch cats on.

7. KajunKat

KajunKat New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I like the thought of dedicating one pole to gar. That is a great idea. Don't throw them away they make great eating! After you learn to clean them it only takes a little longer to do than a regular fish.

8. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    either way dedicating a rod to gar or not your still goin to catch them but it usually makes things a bit more interesting