Midwest fishing in the Pacific...

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by BKS72, Jul 6, 2008.

1. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    The wife and I are spending the weekend in Monterey, CA. My brother-in-law and I slid off to the pier to do some fishing. We were throwing big chunks of sardines and squid on carolina rigs like I'd do back home. I had visions of strange saltwater fish I'd never seen before, or maybe a ray or shark. Instead, I caught 2 starfish:smile2: I finally noticed locals were all throwing sabiki rigs for smelt, at that point it dawned on me that the best I was probably gonna do was the starfish:smile2: Still a good time, though.

[​IMG]

2. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    If nothing else Brandon, you taught me something. I didnt know you could catch a starfish on a rod and reel. The only ones I ever saw were hard as my kids heads.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    You should have booked a charter fishing trip - there's a bunch of them out of Monterey...

Where are you staying?

My wife and I were there a year ago last Christmas for our 15th anniversary, stayed in this high-dollar bed & breakfast that quickly proved to me that I was way out of my league... The limosine tour of the local winerys was the highlight, though it's no good to be completely wasted by 10:00am... Makes for a long afternoon...:eek:oooh:

It was a nice time, just not something we'll ever do again... :wink:

4. adam1886

adam1886 New Member

State:
    higginsville,missouri
    mmm aint nothin like fried star fish:smile2:. i didnt know you could catch them on rod and reel either. did they bite or put up any fight or did you just reel it in and it happened to be there?

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I know that they do pretty well from shore catching stripers in the San Francisco area, so I'd guess they'd be in the Monterrey area, too. A partyboat (headboat) will get you out to where you can catch such things as rockfish, ling cod, and sea bass. I always did very well fishing from my own boat, putting in at San Louis Obispo or Santa Barbara, the two closest places to launch from Vandenberg AFB. Of course, that's quite a ways south of Monterrey.

6. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Oh, yeah, I could have taken a charter pretty cheap, but I was informed the primary reason for the trip was so I could take the wife to a great hotel and spend time with her - NOT fishing:big_smile: Booking the day trip would have been cheap in the short term, very expensive long term:smile2:

The hotel was great, it was the new Intercontinental on Cannery Row. I think they were around $250 -$300 a night, but I used my hotel points for the room :wink:

I'll get back down there one of these days while I'm working out here (my brother in law and his wife live there) and do some fishing over at Moss Landing. I don't really care about catching tuna or anything, just want to sit around on the bank or pier and see what comes in:big_smile:

7. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    You never know...I was surf fishing in FL over Thanksgiving and caught not one, but TWO crabs simultaneously on the same piece of shrimp. Never thought I'd catch crabs on a rod. Ok, I'd prefer that everyone keep their "crab acquisition" jokes to themselves. :crazy::smile2:

8. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Crabs on your rod.....:smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

9. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Brandon I saw that in Bancock China where the olympics are going to be held they eat fried star fish all the time. So why did you keep them:smile2:.

Tom

10. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Dunno how to clean a starfish or I might have:smile2:

11. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS

Your reply is supposed to be that you CPR'd them, so they could grow into trophy starfish.:smile2: