Midland/Odessa anyone???

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by Salmonid, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Im being sent yet again to the dry dessert for work, anyone out there in that area willing to share your favorite stock pond with a fellow BOC brother? or meet to share fishing stories over dinner, please help as Midland is not exactly the excitement capitol of the world. I saw BIGYELLA on the member board, are you there??/ Calling BIG Yella....

Any help in the area would be great, send PM

Salmonid

2. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    Well I aint bigyella but I feel your pain brother. I'm out in west texas, but somehow still managing to find ways to catch fish. I've seen some people fishing a pond along the interstate that passes through odessa. It looked very small and public (meaning no gates), but if I saw 10 people fishing there at once there must be 10 people that think there are fish in it. Check it out - I think its I-20 or 30 and it will be westbound from Midland. I wanted to fish it but my mom wouldn't pull over. If you do try it out PM me and let me know.

3. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    We lived in Odessa for over 40 years. Excellent place to earn a living... and fishing is great...... in any direction within 300 miles. LOL Really, there is some lakes a little closer.
    We usually vacation in Colorado about 600 miles.
    Odessa is not near as bad as it is in "Friday Night Lights".

Good luck at Midland. :smile2:

4. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Lived there, worked for the city for 3 years. Its an ok town if you can get used to there being two basic colors out in the fields around the town, gray green in the spring and brown the rest of the year. Also, outside the city, you won't find a tree over 3 ft tall. But, there is some good fishing, just have to drive a ways. Lake Colorado City may be good, there's Alan Henry, E.V Spence was popular when I lived there (Alan Henry wasn't there in the 90's) and a number of other lakes within 3-5 hours drive. Don't know about Lake Meredith up toward Lubbock, it's a decent walleye lake, but may have catfish in it too.

There's a saying about buying used boats in the Panhandle and West Texas. Don't worry about the hours on the motor, its the miles on the trailer that's the problem.

Check out Texas Parks and Wildlife's page on Panhandle lakes:

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat/fish/recreational/lakes/inpanhd.phtml

5. frymire

frymire New Member

State:
    texas
    LIVED IN ODESSA FOR EVER, IN ABILENETX. NOW. THIS TIME OF YEAR, HOT, STAY INSIDE..
    IF U NEED THE FIX THO, GO TO COLORADO CITY LAKE AND REMEMBER TO SAY OFF THE BOTTOM, USE A BALLOON AND FREE FLOAT CUT SHAD 4 OR 5 FT. DEE0 FOR BLUES. WE ARE HURTING THEM IN ABILENE LAKES DOING THIS..

6. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Thanks for the info even though I pretty much knew the answer, ( Not much fishing in the area:angry: )
    Since its a real hassle trying to take catfishing equipment with me when I travel, Ill probably skip bringing it, I hate taking a chance the airport monkeys will steal it. ( I work airport security business so I know all about the thugs they hire) Ill just spend quality time with the tv while I am there, something I can t do at home...:roll_eyes:
    Maybe Ill drive up to Colorado Lake and check it out though and see if anyone is catching any......
    Thanks folks,
    Salmonid

7. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Some can't miss sights in Odessa:

The giant jackrabbit...last place I saw it was at the School District office, but it may have moved. Its was in two other locations while I lived there. The meteor crater just outside Odessa. Second largest in the US, but when you go, you'll wonder why the hell you went. Third, the replica of the old Shakespearian theater, its really nice. The Presidents museum, a good place to get in out of the heat for a short while. Finally, the Ector ISD football stadium. It would do a Division II college proud, even a few Division I schools.

Don't know how the water is now, but when I lived there, it was undrinkable. Tasted terrible and if you held it up to light, there was a ton of sediment. So, you might want to ask wherever you eat if the make their tea with RO water (reverse osmosis) or just order bottled water or bottled soft drinks, no fountain stuff.

8. CrawDaddy

CrawDaddy New Member

State:
    Texas
    I grew up in Andrews, about 30 miles from Odessa. As a kid your only dream is to move away when you get done with school!! I hated west TX and still do. I recently moved from Baton Rouge LA to South TX. I sure miss catfishing on the mighty Mississippi River. I am currently trying to find people to catfish with down here but have been unsuccessful. The locals here would rather keep what most people call trash fish, i.e. gar,carp, etc.... I talked to a guy at a lake near my house that told me he was fishing for gar, but when he caught catfish he threw them back!!!!! Guess I should have given him my # so I could at least eat some catfish if I ain't catching them!!!
    And the reference to Friday Night Lights..that movie ticked me off. It was just another Hollywood movie, didn't even get into the heart of the book about the cheating Permian did during their football run!!
    Anyway, my Dad still lives there and is the head of the HVAC department at Odessa junior college. He still loves it there :(

9. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    When we lived at Odessa, I fished at Lake Spence and the Rio Grande. Spence was excellent for black crappie and the Rio Grande was excellent for catfish.

True about the water.. it's slightly salty and nothing but reverse osmosis will remove salt. We had a small RO unit under the sink that supplied drinking water and the ice maker.

And about Friday Night Lights... a fine movie and I don't care for sports, especially sports movies. The book is even better. True, it shows Odessa as a dirty little oil town which it's not. Hollywood added that part. Odessa is a very clean City of almost 93,000.

And the Permian Panthers never cheated, why cheat when they were the best! That is the high school that both my daughters graduated from and I don't appreciate the negative remarks, especially from someone that lived in a nearby little oil town... sounds like they might be little jealous of Odessa., or better known as Big O to the little towns. :big_smile:

Also it's NOT called Ector ISD football stadium.. the finest high school football stadium in the great state of Texas is Odessa's Ratcliff Stadium.

10. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Didn't remember the name of the stadium, but the school district is the Ector School District and it owns the stadium. It is the finest high school stadium I've ever seen. The true part of Friday Night Lights is how wacky the town gets over the Permian Panthers, and the rivalry with Midland. It amazed me to see how the boosters and some of the coaches would begin watching players in the children's football leagues at age 5. That seemed to be one of the secrets to the success of Permian, the grew their players right. I loved the people out there, but can't say I loved working for the city. I was recruited to come in and clean up a messed up federal grant program, but at least some of the city fathers didn't want it too clean as they got all sorts of benefits from it that the weren't elgible for. I saw a bit too much of that, the politics up close were worse than any of the other three cities and two counties I've worked for.

11. CrawDaddy

CrawDaddy New Member

State:
    Texas
    During the oil boom of late 70's and early 80's the school board was populated with many executives of the oil companies. When they would find a kid in a town that was a really good football player they would get his Dad a job with the oil company and move them to Odessa. In some cases the Dad didn't even work for the company but was paid a salary so the kid could play for Permian. After this was proved and a stop was put to it, Permian hasn't been crap ever since!!
    But the fact that such extremes were taken for high school football just proves the point that people are crazy for football in west Texas !!

12. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I was in Odessa in the early '90's. Permian went to state and played for the big ring, but don't think they won. The almost three years I was there, the teams had winning records every year. Permian's big problem has always been that Odessa has a very small black population, so they don't get many of the big speedy backs that schools in E. Texas and the Houston area do. Their players are on the small size and have to depend on speed. Not trying to be racist, but it does seem that the white and hispanic kids don't get the size combined with speed.

13. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Looked at Permian's records for the last 15 years. Between 1991 and 1999, Permian won lots of games, won state once, district several times and had winning records every year. Since 1999, Permian has had mediocre won/loss records, usually breaking even.

14. CrawDaddy

CrawDaddy New Member

State:
    Texas
    The book came out in 1989. Try searching their record since then vs their record in the previous 17 years and it won't be close....Especially State Title-wise.

15. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    State title in 91, undefeated season, bunch of big seaons up until '99, since then, things have not been the same. The book and inability to set daddy up with a job had nothing to do either with success in the '90's or the lack thereof since '99. The best two decades for Permian were the '80's...the book came out in '89 as you say, and the '90's, after the book came out. Not many teams ever have had as good of two decades as Permian. Most likely, the biggest reason for the decline in this decade is as much related to the pool from which Permian has to draw, most players are smaller than those in other parts of the state, and maybe coaching changes. Don't know about the latter, but it would seem logical the winning coaches of the previous decades retired of moved on.

16. vswanson

vswanson New Member

State:
    texas
    I am in San Angelo Texas it is about 1hour and 45 minutes away we have 3 lakes around here and some pretty good catfishing.