Middle Delaware River?

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by dreibek, Aug 20, 2008.

1. dreibek

dreibek New Member

State:
    PA
    I live in the Easton, PA area at the forks of the Lehigh and Delaware. Does anyone know any hotspots around there for shore fishing?

2. jigerjim

jigerjim Member

State:
    North East Pa.
    Welcome to BOC dreibek I never fished that area, but there shoud be some cat right at the fork's. I wouldent doubt there's even Flathead's up there.

3. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    unfortunately kyle, not every water (even those with plenty of catfishermen is very well represented)... that is why beyond welcoming you to the BOC, we hope you'll be active and share what some of the knowledge you have with others.

Personally, I'm solo from the upper alleghany. there appears to be no BOC brothers with 75miles of home.

again welcome to the board, hoping you will share your success along the middle delaware,
    Jason

4. dreibek

dreibek New Member

State:
    PA
    Thanks. I had the feeling that would happen. To give you a background on me, I typically do deep-sea fishing, but catfishing has drawn me in as a freshwater alternative.

I went out this past weekend and pulled in a small channel cat. To give you a perspective, these are ten inch plates. The cat was around 18" and my wife enjoyed it as I prepared it with a dijon mustard/flour batter and fried it.

[​IMG]

5. Cattn-Jeep

Cattn-Jeep New Member

State:
    NC
    Back when I was in high school a bunch of us went on a white water trip down the Delaware... I didn't know it at the time, but thinking back now I've come to realize that the area we were in was prime catfish turf. Fast moving rapids followed by deep sluggish pools. I'm not sure what area you are in, but I would recommend that you pick up a copy of In-Fishermans book "Catfish Fever" or The Freshwater Angler's book "Fishing For Catfish". Both are wonderful books that will help you out tremendously.

6. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    I grew up in Easton and moved down here to NC about 10 yrs ago, the Delaware Holds some good cats, I use to get some good Channels drifting between the toll brige and free bridge on the PA. side I use to put in at scott park, Also i use to fish the scenic overlook above Eddie Side Park. the eddie holds some good cats as well, After the shad run the cats will gorge them self on the dying shad. I use to cube up some shad i got during the run and make some stink bait. works great. The Delaware Holds some great cats You just need to take the time and scout for them. If you have a boat you can anchor up just above the free bridge almost across form the NJ ramp and fish the main Channel use a 3way rig and just drop the line out of the back of the boat. Once a scent tail is make they will be schooling at the rear of the boat, also float a chum bag this will make ith scent trail good, O yea if you fish the area where the Bushkill and Delaware meet it will produce some great fishing, Here is one for you if you fish the scott park side of the lehigh just below the dam and run a yellow 6" twister tail on a jug head up through the up the channel it will produce some good walleyes I use to fish form dark till dawn for them. look for the flat rock just below the dam cast to the v and jig down and run it back up along the bank . bring a lot of tails and heads you will get hung up.

7. dreibek

dreibek New Member

State:
    PA

Thanks so much for this info!!!

I can't wait to try it out. I've fished the Bushkill-Delaware meeting but not for cats. I do know that there are some good smallmouth around that area and the island in front of that small dam there.

I don't have a boat, but with a good amount of weight (and with how low the river is now), it's possible to cast from shore and hit most spots in the river right now.

I'm going to try to get out there this week.

8. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Don't fish the Delaware much, but you shouldn't have any problems catching channel cats up your way.

Start out with some livers for numbers annd cut bait for size.

9. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    Thanks for helping Jeff...

its interesting you never know where PA alumni will show up... feel free to come on up there Jeff and fish around. theres a big showdown tween PA and Ohio on what state can produce the most cats during the fall...feel free to give us a hand:smile2:

10. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    hey better yet come on down and see what it's like catching some of the monsters cats we have in NC, you would not belive what lurks in these waters. I was shocked when i got a cat that would smash Pa, record and a person calling normal size. I do miss trout fishing on the bushkill and fishing for shad in the spring, but i don't miss the cold weather or snow. lol

11. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    Jeff I with great sincerity say, I would if I could...

its nice to know a guide. you and me would have a lot of fun.
    Sigh.$$$

one of these days. thanks for helping out.

12. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 Well-Known Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    OK guys I know the big D has alot of nice channels and some Flatheads (down river). So get out there and represent. Good luck