middle bench seat

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by flatheadcat4u, Dec 24, 2008.

1. flatheadcat4u

flatheadcat4u New Member

State:
    Westmoreland, K
    hello all Ive got a 14 ft sylvan and i want more floor space,do ya think if i cut out the center seat it will hurt the boat any? :confused2:

2. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Nate post a pic of the inside of the boat if you can. I have seen a few that they took the seat out and it was fine others the seat provides a lot of support. I think the pic will let us make a more informed statement on it.

3. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    It will compromise the structure..It can be done but your rolling the dice messing with the structure....my boat I did this too and ran aluminum railes down the inside to help fer suport...alot of the boats made now are desighned with that seat missing....and it is nice having the extra room.My boat is around here under RIVER RAIDER and if I recall right Piosen Pitts is the one that showed me the rail idea....good luck if yer engineerin!

4. flatheadcat4u

flatheadcat4u New Member

State:
    Westmoreland, K
    ill have to wait until i get home to take a pic of the in side of the boat i should have it up tonight

5. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    i have done this very thing with 2 john boats and just did this to a 18 ft i bought this fall infact i took out 3 of the bench seats . all you have to do is add a rib inplace of the bench . the ribs for the 18 ft lowe i did this 2 a month ago cost me around 28 dollars a piece you can rivet them in or if have a marina weld them in for you . its not hard at all .

just call a local dealer of the brand of boat you have and see how much the ribs cost and if they can order them for you .

give them the make and model number and year of your boat and wich bench you want to take out and they will be able to tell you what rib you will need .

it only took about 30 to 45 minutes for me and my buddy to rivet in a rib . get the floor of the boat as clean as you can and take your time doing it . add plenty of the glue they send with the rivets or sealer . 1 guy in the boat and 1 under it using a heavy smooth wedge or maul of steel against the bottom of the rivet under the boat and the guy in the boat using a big flat round stock or flat surface punch hits the other end of rivet with a heavy steel mallet ,

we did this to my other 18 ft john that was a sea nymph and it did not leak !!!!!!

it was well worth the money and time for me to do this and i loved the added open floor space .!!!

6. flatheadcat4u

flatheadcat4u New Member

State:
    Westmoreland, K
    C:\Users\nate\Pictures\2008-12-24 fishing\fishing 001.JPG

7. flatheadcat4u

flatheadcat4u New Member

State:
    Westmoreland, K
    im still working on getting thoses pics up im new to this so please bare with me :big_smile:

8. flatheadcat4u

flatheadcat4u New Member

State:
    Westmoreland, K
    boat.jpg i think this will show some what of what i have ive got more pics at home now that i know how to post them watch out :big_smile:

9. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    The way that looks, it certainly looks like you would be ok to remove it. It IS supporting the sides somewhat, but I believe the hull integrity would not be compromised too much by removing it. What's holding it in? A few screws? Take it out and see. I am a firm believer of freeing up as much space possible for comfort. The older I get, the stiffer I get, resulting in my boats getting bigger and bigger! :big_smile:

Bill in SC

10. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    If you are worried to much about the removing the seat you can always turn it in to a bait tank. I know it does not free up the middle of the boat but it does free up some space. From the looks of it I would say you would be ok to take it out. Another idea would be to cut the middle out of it and make it in to side jumper seats. that way the middle of the boat is free to walk down but it still gives you alittle seating.

11. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    You might consider decking between the seats, with access hatches in the deck(s). You'd end up with a large, flat, unobstructed deck, and lots of storage.

12. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Some boats are okay, some I wouldn't do that to. When looking at new jon boats, i found a dealer I liked, and that decided my brand (alumacraft). An alumacraft jon boat with no center seat (NCS) weighs more than one with the center seat. This is due to the fact that the jon with NCS has a longer front deck and more ribs/heavier ribs than one with the seat. All i'm saying is, keep that in mind. That little "rinky-dink" seat may just support more than you think.

13. flatheadcat4u

flatheadcat4u New Member

State:
    Westmoreland, K
    i dont think im going to get rid of that seat after all maybe ill make a bait tank out of it:0a24: or not?:cool2:

14. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    *shrug* It all depends on how attached you are to all of that flotation that keeps your boat from going to the bottom if it gets swamped.

Srsly. Think hard before you cut.

15. flatheadcat4u

flatheadcat4u New Member

State:
    Westmoreland, K
    that could happen i guess :embarassed: i dont run real ruff water but ill start running on the lakes this year and i know they can get rough thanks for the heads up i dont tread water well:0a20: sink like a rock