Mid week Flathead Catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by jagdoctor1, May 7, 2009.

1. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    I had things to do today so I stayed home to do them.. well I ended up with a gap in the day and decided to use it. I went to a drainage ditch that I had been eyeing for awhile and after an hour of machete work and a few blisters and a whole lot of sweat I had a spot. Well It took another 30-45 min to figure out how to get that rascally goldfish in that damn pipe under all the tule's. Caught my first fish and he was 10 pds... damn all that work and I'm catching the same fish as always....
    Went back in the pipe and got his poppa, 27 pds(looks bigger to me lol). Went back in and got a 3 pdr. Nothing after that and was all out of bait and time. :cool2:

P.S. I did alot of sweating and work for this fish. I was sure it was gonna beat 30 pds. I had a blast.. getting him out of the pipe was cake compared to the fight he put up trying to get back into the pipe.. Also I had to hug him like he was my best Girlfreind and climb full body to get out of that hole.

Attached Files:

2. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    Nice fish bro!

3. iluvnevaeh

iluvnevaeh New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    congrats nice fish!!!:cool2:

4. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    looks to me like the work was worth it! nice catch!

5. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Whats with all the fish bones hanging behind you...:eek:oooh:

NICE FISH Bro..:wink:

6. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    That's the sign at the local bait shop. B&B bait. People hang thier fish there. I had all of mine from last year on a mesquite tree behind my place but the city is building back there and they plowed it. Starting a new collection but not sure where to put it.

7. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Looks like a little work paid off. Nice fish and good luck on your next trip

8. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Hard to CPR them bones. :smile2:

9. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    congrats on some nice fish!!

10. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    Sweet fish! Great job!

11. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    I went back yesterday afternoon and tried it out for a few minutes before we headed out for the night. Got this little guy probably 8 pdr. First one that didn't swallow the hook so put him back in.

Attached Files:

12. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    I have been to that bait shop... Last year there were some giant cat heads nailed up.. A few looked like they could have gone 60#

Nice fish BTW~
    Do you prefer fishing the drainage canals over the main river at Mayflower?

13. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    When I fish the river... I have spots North and South of Mayflower.. None in that region though. I don't prefer to fish the drainage ditches but since some big fish come from them and my goal is trophy fish this year... I'm fishin em. There are drainage ditch spots that are widely known across the valley as well as with out of towners that continue to produce large fish even though they are over fished. However... The River has magic. Large fish as well.

14. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Nice fish! Nice pics.I don,t get the bones deal though?:eek:oooh:

15. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    It's showing off pretty much. Those have been there since I was a kid. Flathead skulls are pretty impressive.

16. woodchucker

woodchucker New Member

State:
    La Quinta,Ca
    That sign gives me the willys,like it haunted.And its wierd the whole selective harvest/keep the small ones release the trophys hasent caught on for the big flats on the colorado river area.If it had I wonder if the record would be 100+ not 70+lbs.

-I show off with nice pics of trophys not stinky carcasses.I think a trophy flat alive is way more impressive .

17. woodchucker

woodchucker New Member

State:
    La Quinta,Ca
    Hey Chris,
    Nice fish by the way.I wish I lived close enough to get a mid week flathead fix.

18. scwhite

scwhite New Member

State:
    Shreveport , La.
    I eat all my Flatheads , that big one you holding would have went in to Ziploc Bags then the Freezer. I would eat him I think that is impressive . Fry that fish have a Fish fry . Feed your family some fish . Big ones are good. Trim all the red meat off. " CCC = Catch Clean Cook "

19. woodchucker

woodchucker New Member

State:
    La Quinta,Ca
    sc,
    On that trip I literally filled my freezer with 8-25lb flats and some jumbo channels up to 8lbs.Killing that big trophy would have been over indulgince.Why take more than you are going to consume?

20. scwhite

scwhite New Member

State:
    Shreveport , La.
    You can Freeze it Eat it Later . Or let your Someone you like have a bag of Fish . There ant no such of a thing as a Trophy Catfish thay are all food . " CCC = Catch Clean Cook "