Mid Water Column Wisdom

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Goldenshinner, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Goldenshinner

Goldenshinner New Member

ahhh good to be back on the flatheading(and the board).
    ok. so every summer i try to devote some of my time to experimenting. i always fish an old spot and a new spot. but with rigging, and set ups my favorite set ups i typicaly stay with, but occasionaly i try to force myself to experment with other types of rigs. its hard to use something you dont have faith in. so brothers i would realy like to get a decient flattie on a surface rig. perhaps not at the top top, but in the middle water column. i will admit that i am typicaly just a toss out on the bottom and wait type. Although I have fished with ballons and bobbers before, i still feel green to the artform. ohhh if it matters, i fish the big three rivers here in minnesota. the croix, mississippi, and the minnesota. water depth is probably averaging 4ft to 10ft+ with a mixture of evironments varring from secondary dreged channels with few structures, to the extream that can be rocky , loggy, or very irregular bottom contours. bottom type varries from mud, to sand to gravel and in some streaches pure bedrock.river type varries from small river to at some points large widening slow moving holes.

can anyone give me some advice and motivating wisdom on the finepoints of targeting middle water column flatties with bobbers or ballons. thanks

2. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    ive not doen this much but im just starting this float thing, try this get u one of thos red lighted night bobbers hook the bobber a t the depth u want to fish, puth on a bluegill with no weight the gill will swim around middepth natuerally, thats what i would do, or if u dont like that way some guys use a slip bobber but i dont know about that rig, oh yea use a sharp8/0 circal or straigh hook, u know the drill

3. Goldenshinner

Goldenshinner New Member

free swimming with no bobber stop? for that to work i would probably have to find a slow spot?

4. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    u wuoldent realy need a bobber stop, the way i put them on they wont move , how fast is that current, if its fast i would fish the bottem, i use this bobber rig in lakes and slow moving rivers at night if you are on a big river in current, i couldent tell u a good floating rig

5. Goldenshinner

Goldenshinner New Member

i dont know how to explain how fast these waters move. they are moving. but again some spots the water slows down. also ive seen some holes were the water just turns in a gaint circle. the slower moving spots i would think reasonable for bobber fishing. but even so in a current situation it should be possible to rig a bobber w enough weight to hold it down. my past problems have been the bait takes off up stream, or keeps swimming in to shore, and not staying where i fantisize it should be staying, or worse the bait ends up under my boat all night, or entangled in brush. i have on several occasion waded out and weaved my rod back and forth thru all sorts of stuff pulling out logs only to see if a big flattie was on the end or not. that stuff makes me nervous though as id hate to get pinned under a log or tangled in braid(i always fish with a dive knife on my body just for this reason!! ive allready cut free one guy that was tangle in 100lb test braid in the water)

but back to the point. idealy under what circumstance is the mid range bait most effective?? or what type of structure should i concentrate?as it seems somewhat weird to me to have a flattie moving or feeding in the middle water column.