Mid-summer temps!

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by catfishrollo, Aug 12, 2007.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    anyone having problems with the thermocline? we have been having problems after all this hot weather! lakes are different than rivers, not as much moving water, many more things to consider when thinking on where to go. i noticed last weekend on how we had to adjust our presentations etc. accordingly..goodluck

2. pelark

pelark New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am interested in HOW you changed your presentation to combat the rising water temps. I have seen a major decline in the number of hits that I have seen over the last couple of weeks.
    Two things keep me fishin'...catching fish and not catching fish. Win-win situation if you ask me...:big_smile:

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    we were having trouble keeping baits alive while flathead fishing. i was fishing a slip-float with huge redear bluegills, i had to keep adjusting the depth of the float until i could get it into a depth that they would survive. bottom fishing deep in the lakes are rough right now, and you are better off finding higher oxygen areas around creeks or other systems feeding the lake i think. rollo

4. lebeaux

lebeaux New Member

State:
    ohio
    I too have noticed a decline in good bites over the past couple weeks. Maybe it is the temp increase. The bite will pick up when the temps start to cool a little. The temp around Marietta is about 90 deg. I fished all night and covered about 4 mi. of river last friday. One 8 lb flathead:confused2: late in the eve. That was it, not another bite all night. Come on September!

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I had the same problem over here this past weekend. Out of 2 days fishing I only managed 1 little channel. I did manage to kill tons of gills and goldfish though. If I fished any bait over 8-10' deep the bait would die within a couple minutes. Not sure if its something to do with the thermocline or just the heat??? I also wonder if it'll get better when it rains good or just wait on the temps to come down. I was gonna start a thread on this but I think we are having the same problems. BTW,I was fishing in a local lake also.

6. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Our tourney at Nimisila Saturday night only brought in 20 cats, which was a lot less than we expected.

7. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    The Bullheads for live baits has worked real well for me when the water temps were maxed out. I to have "KILLED" lots of the Gills.

What I've done is to run banks lines just to get them and it is a bit of work.

Suspend them off the bottom and watch them dance :wink:

8. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    bullheads are definetely a tougher bait. little carp have been good as well! but my feeling is if the oxygen content cannot support bait life, then them big flats that need plenty of oxygen aren't gonna be there either. i noticed when fishing the other night how the shad were within 3ft. of the surface on the graph. almost all the fish we were marking were right under them. coincedence? i think not...rollo:wink:

9. 72hdflh

72hdflh New Member

State:
    West Salem, Ohio
    I have read that the flats will be suspended at or right above the thermocline, and more than likely near some structure, an underwater hump or a ledge etc. A couple of weeks ago I was fishing a gill at about 6' under a slip float and caught a 21 3/4" hybrid striped bass, so I thought maybe I should go deeper, so I set my float about 2' deeper and rebaited and that gill died within 30 minutes.

10. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Is the bait dieing from lack of Oxygen or the tempurature shock of going below the thermocline?

11. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    that is a good question...and i see that happen myself. when it gets hot like it has been, i try to actually keep my water cooler for that reason alone. i don't believe that was the problem. then i temper the bait slowly to the temp of water im gonna fish, by slowly adding to mine. if so i would have been losing bait near the warmer surface temps. then the lower water. i had no prob. when i went shallow.. i think it had more to do with the area than anything. i don't have this problem when dealing with current or faster moving areas...rollo

12. CatfishCC

CatfishCC New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Jammer
    I would probably say a little bit of both.

CC

13. 72hdflh

72hdflh New Member

State:
    West Salem, Ohio
    I was at Charles Mill Saturday night anchored in 26' of water I had one bluegill on a slip bobber set at about 6' he stayed alive till I moved, however my fish finder was marking fish at 20+' so I sent a gill to the bottom and he died within 10 minutes when I pulled him up to check him he was very cool to the touch. Since I was marking fish at that depth I have to assume it was thermal shock and not lack of oxygen.

14. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Where is ther 26' water at Charles Mill? I've been going to take my boat up there, I'll have to put the 6 hp back on.
    I know it has some depth around the marina and there is a hole somewhere along the east side but I didn't think it was 26'.
    If I get up there, I'll PM you, maybe we can get together.:0a23:

15. 72hdflh

72hdflh New Member

State:
    West Salem, Ohio
    Jammer,
    The hole is right where you enter the eastern basin from the west, it is pretty much right between the two buoys.

16. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Temperature is probably a moot point now. It has dropped 10 degrees in the last week and with the rain will probably continue. Saturday eve was 76.5 degrees on the Muskingum @ Coshocton.

Jocelyn (Jaws when she is old enough to join) caught her 1st Flathead, a 7 lber Sat nite.