mid may perry report

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Kansasgoose, May 16, 2008.

1. Kansasgoose

Kansasgoose New Member

State:
    Hoyt, kansas
    Went out to the lake today, perfect weather to be out on the water, and not too many people there. Got some tips as to how and where to catch from fish on the rocks from Tom and tried to put them too good use. I found I do not have the right stuff to catch cats on the rocks, i had one good bite, but no fish in the boat by 11 after starting at 7. In my defense, I was told to look for the gar, and I did not see any. carp and shad were abundant, I threw my net twice and had enough shad to fish the whole day. That dead red shrimp must make a huge difference, for I didnt have that for bait and it showed

about 11, I gave up the rocks and went to the "sticks" and fished at the north end. bite was still slow, but did manage to put some in the boat. also caught white bass and drum.

these came home with me......
    [​IMG]

2. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Looks like a good day on the water all in all.

3. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    James,sorry I did'nt meet up with you on the lake.

I took my brother with me today,and I was hoping for a good day.
    Him and me use to live withing walking distance from each other out on the farm before I move to Topeka and we fished together almost every weekend along with my Dad.

But it's been 10yrs since him and me been fishing together so I was hoping to show him a good time.
    He arrived at my house this morning at 6am grab some breakfast at McDonalds and headed to the lake.
    About 5 miles out of town the truck started shaking i pulled over and did'nt see anything that would cause it to shake.Checked tires,felt hubs on the trailier nothing.
    Headed on to the lake and about 200' from pulling into the ramp parking lot i heard a pop and looked back and the drivers side tire and wheel was about to fall off.:angry:

The whole bearing and everthing was shot.We jacked the damm thing up and the tire & wheel and everything just fell OFF!!...How luckly I was that this did'nt happen out on the hiway.
    Came back into town got a new hub with bearing and all, came to house to get some tools and headed back to fix it.

Got on the water at 930am headed to the rocks and it was slow and seen no gar but we did catch 8 cats.

Tried a few more places and got no hits so went after crappie.I did come up to where you was at hoping to see you but it was maybe around 12noon.

My old bro was wanting to catch some fish to eat and we finally found about 16 crappie that wanted to come home with us.What started out as a bad day ended not to bad with us catching up on old times and catching a few fish.

Hope tomorrow brings better luck both with the boat and the fish...

Catch up with me soon and i will give you a bottle of Dead red to try.It works!!

We will get together soon, this style of fishing is just getting started and will only get better in the next few days/weeks

4. Kansasgoose

Kansasgoose New Member

State:
    Hoyt, kansas
    Tom

that is a tough way to start the day! glad your ok, and youre right, that would have been bad if you were still on the highway.

Thanks for your report, as it sounds like the rocks were truely pretty slow yesterday, and maybe it wasnt all me. I saw some small fish spawning on the rocks were I was and fished for crappie for about ten minutes, and then I saw it was shad splashing on the rocks and gave that up too.

Carp are doing their thing, I saw many 10+ pounders go by. today should be another great day to be outside. hope everyone has a chance to get out there.

5. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Went again today at Perry and tried the rocks and only caught 5 cats two were CPR fish and three eaters. Biggest was 6lbs and one 5.4lbs.

Caught 6 crappie.

Still was a pretty day.

Attached Files: