Mid day big bucks

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by jeffw51, Oct 16, 2007.

1. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    how many of you have seen big bucks in the middle of the day.after seeing so many really nice bucks at mid day i now believe a really hot time to be on stand in late october and november is from 11 am to 2 pm.or should i say still in the stand.

2. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    When I'm hunting for big bucks, I tend to stay in the stand all day. My biggest was killed about 11:00AM. I've seen several big ones out cruising for Does during mid-day.

3. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    My two best bow-killed bucks were taken between 1 and 2 p.m. Definitely a good time to be on stand!

4. sbowes77

sbowes77 New Member

State:
    missouri
    i killed my pb at 3:30 in the afternoon or so

5. Cathooker

Cathooker New Member

State:
    Ga
    I firmly believe in Midday hunting. Of the bucks I have mounted 80% of them came between 11 and 2. Bucks pattern hunters. Most hunters go in before daylight and are back at the truck or camp by 10:30, then they go back out again around three and stay until dark. A lot of times when a hunter is coming out of or going in the woods they will push a buck to me. Rutting bucks will cruise all day long looking for hot does. I'll pack a lunch and stay as long as my ole broke down body will allow me too.

6. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    During the peak of the chase and breeding phase, I go in at dark and come out at dark. To many times I have seen and harvested nice bucks at midday.

7. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    My pb over the years during the rut has been right around 12:00 noon.

8. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I see most big bucks from 10am on to about 2pm.

9. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    If you are truly hunting ,stay out all day ,what have you got to loose?

10. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Most of the deer I was taking were killed at midday so 25 years ago I started sleeping late,I got more rest on the weekend and killed almost as many deer.

11. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I agree with Badkarma. We have group hunted my place a lot of years. The dawn to 9:00 routine and back in the woods at 2:00 till dark. We left the site because the area surrounding my place is heavily hunted. So many deer get pushed into my ground during the midday hours we can surround the place and walk back in at 2:00. Basically they are trapped and we wait for them to move, or push to positioned guys at the end of the day. That has ended. I will hunt by myself and will use the midday hours. Those pushed deer outside of my property will come running in and I can crack one. I can't take cold anymore and that sun sure feels good.

12. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    same here. especially in and around the rut. i think they take a break from chasing in the morning to eat and nap. then it's back up on thier feet to start chasing again. i dont know how many times i've been walking out of the woods at almost noon. and about gotten run over by a rutting buck....good time to stalk too..

13. BassTrackerMac

BassTrackerMac New Member

State:
    Liberty, SC
    Hunter....that's a beauty buck in your avitar.Nice Mass.:wink:

14. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD New Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    my pb was shot at 11:30 am on my lunch break..

15. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    Where I hunt the big bucks don't come out of the woods until later in the morning. Last year they didn't even start coming out until 9-11am. Almost all of the big ones where at the later end. All you would see in the morning or evening would be the smaller immature bucks and the does. I personally feel this might be because of hunting pressure. By 9:00am most guys are heading out of the woods. But not me. The big bucks that have been pursued have got to be waiting for them to leave and the sun to be high overhead so not to be blinded by it and giving a bowhunter an advantage. It might just be they are getting lazy.lol.:smile2:

16. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    i used to think the bigger bucks were active at midday due to hunting pressure,but i have hunted alot of areas that had no hunting pressure and the pattern was still the same.