Michigander looking to cook crawdads!! need help

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Howie Ketchdem, Oct 12, 2007.

1. Howie Ketchdem

Howie Ketchdem New Member

Hey yall, im looking to cook a mess of crawfish and dont know where to start. i have no idea how many i need to cook or how to cook them, i just built a trap and so far it is working pretty well, ive caught the 2 biggest crawdads in existance i think, these things are huge like 6" long if i dont find a recipe soon there gonna be catfish bait. so please help me out if you can thanks to B.O.C

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Mickey ,If ya just have a few I like to roast em over a bed of coals till nice an red. If you are cookin a bunch I would say use a BIG POT and boil em with some crab boil or a little bit of lemon and some salt and a few seasonings of your choice ,I aint big on OLD BAY myself ,too sweet for me.

3. stinkbaitguy

stinkbaitguy New Member

State:
    south carolina
    them folks over at app.state can prob.help!go wolverines!!!!LOL just kidding,yea get yourself some crab boil,a tub of butter and a whole small bottle of seasoned salt.boil till red pop a top and eat:cool2:

4. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Whats Crab Boil?

5. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I am from Iowa and all we got is lard.

6. stinkbaitguy

stinkbaitguy New Member

State:
    south carolina
    yea john we got lard to!LOL crab boil is just a bag of mix with all diff. kinds of spices in it

7. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I thought is was a liquid like oil. Thanks will look for it.

8. chadf

chadf New Member

State:
    Bossier, La
    How many you trying to feed. My wife and I can put down about 10 pounds or so.

Like others have said get you some boil. Zatarans makes a good boil. Old Bay works good too.
    Here's what I do. get a potWith a strainer fill about half with water cut up 2-3 lemons,1onion and a few cloves of garlic. mix this in with your crab boil and several potatoes and even a few chicken wings if you like. Bring to a good boil. Add the crawl fish and throw in some corn on the cob and a few smoked sausage links as well. boil all this for about 15min then turn off the heat let stand for another 15min then pull out of water dump it all on the table grab a few cold beers and eat until it hurts. You can also add some mushrooms or brocoli in the mix when you turn off the heat.
    Hope this helps.

also once you get a mess of crawl fish soak them in a cooler/bucket of salt water for a few minutes to purge them.

If you don't get enough come on down to La this spring I'll cook up a sack(40#).:smile2:

9. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    when I was a boy and I'd have left over bait. Id boil em up like lobster and dip em in butter. But they are great if you do it with boil.

crawfish boil

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]INGREDIENTS:[/FONT]
    2 heads garlic, unpeeled
    5 bay leaves
    2 (3 ounce) packages dry crab
    boil
    1 tablespoon liquid shrimp and
    crab boil seasoning
    salt and pepper to taste
    3 large oranges, halved
    3 large lemons, halved
    2 large whole artichokes
    15 red potatoes, washed
    30 pieces baby corn
    2 large onions, sliced
    2 (16 ounce) packages
    mushrooms, cleaned
    1/2 pound fresh green beans,
    trimmed
    2 (16 ounce) packages smoked
    sausage, cut into 1/2 inch
    slices
    4 pounds live crawfish, rinsed

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]DIRECTIONS:[/FONT]
    1.Fit a large (5 gallon) pot with a strainer insert, and fill half full with water. Add the garlic, bay leaves, dry and liquid crab boil seasonings, salt, pepper, oranges, lemons, artichokes, and potatoes. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce to a simmer, and cook for 20 minutes. Stir in the corn, onions, mushrooms, and green beans; cook 15 minutes more. Stir in the sausage; cook 5 minutes more. Add the crawfish, return mixture to boil, then simmer until the crawfish shells turn bright red and the tails pull out easily, about 5 minutes. Test for doneness by peeling a crawfish. Be sure not to overcook, or crawfish will become tough.2.Remove strainer basket from the pot and drain. Serve crawfish hot, Louisiana-style, spread over a picnic table covered with newspapers

or if you like something different then try this

CRAWFISH ETOUFFEE
    6 tablespoons butter
    2 tablespoons green onion tops chopped fine
    2 cups chopped onion
    2 medium cloves garlic, minced (1/2 teaspoon)
    1 lb. or 2 1/2 cups cooked and peeled crawfish meat
    2 tablespoons green pepper, chopped
    1/8 teaspoon red pepper
    1/4 cup celery chopped
    1 1/4 teaspoons salt
    2 tablespoons minced parsley (1 teaspoon dehydrated)
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Melt butter in iron skillet or heavy pot. Saute onions,
    garlic, green pepper and celery until onions are clear. Add
    1/8 cup water and simmer covered until vegetables are
    tender (about 15 minutes). Add crawfish and other
    seasonings. Cook 15 minutes. Add green onion tops and
    parsley and cook 5 minutes for seasoning to blend. Serve
    with hot steamed rice. Serves 4 to 5 people

10. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    this is the beggining and ending of boilin crawfish. note the avatar.

i think 5 # live per person is a pretty good way to judge how much. if you have left overs you can pinch the tails out and put them in your queche the next morning. (side note: everything boiled is better with cold beer)

first you need a good crab/crawfish boil, i prefer this stuff called swamp fire. lemon juice to taste, i dont like to overdo it.
    then you need conecuh sausage, or brats, you are up north.
    then cut up onions, a few carrots, mushrooms (eeewwww) if ya like them
    the all important new potatoes, and half cobbs of corn.
    bring to a good rolling boil untill corn and potatoes are allmost done.
    then dump in your crawfish and wait between 4-7 minutes. remove everything from pot and place in an ol washtub lined with newspaper and half filled with ice. (the extreme cold helps draw in the spices)
    then lightly sprinkle some tony cachares or zatarains seasoning over them. make sure to pinch the closest girl for good luck when you announce the eats done.
    you should probably use a big outdoor cooker for this, i have a double gas burner cooker about twice the size of a turkey fryer.

believe it or not, all those veggies (even carrots) will soften up and suck in the spices. beer is a must, there is no such thing as a good crawfish boil without at least 3 runny noses and one sneeze.
    do not rub your eyes with your hands, or use the bathroom without rinsing off!
    most importantly make sure you suck the heads and pinch the tails. if you do it right you will be the stuff of legend. good luck

p.s. dont forget to purge them first it gets all the poopy dirt out of them.

soak them under whater for a few minutes with a couple cups of salt. then rinse with fresh water, repeat. it makes all the difference. also if you add a couple table spoons of vinegar to your boil they peel better.

p.s.s i like to add butter after they come out but everybody is different.

11. nightowl

nightowl New Member

State:
    Vicksburg,Mississippi
    To me the single most important step is to make sure that they are purged properly. We usely purge in a plastic kiddy swimming pool.