Michigan Mojo

Discussion in 'LOCAL MICHIGAN TALK' started by Catgirl, Jul 8, 2006.

1. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Alright, when are these Michigan members gonna be back from their fishing trip? And how many people ended up getting together for it? I know Sal, Vic, and I think Don, hooked up. I wanna know who had the Michigan mojo working, and who caught the most fish. :wink:

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    They live in Michigan, there is nothing else better to do up there. LMAO

I hope they tore em up, they are good brothers.

3. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Well here go's me and sparky got to the park at 3:30-4:pM and started talking to the locals about the fishing as time passed we sitting and talking and we spot this ship pulling in to the park and i thought what is the queen Mary doing here they can't launch that here as it turned out this was Sal !
    we talked a little than Sal's buddy showed up ( can't remember his name) real nice guy than Steve i mean Jim showed buy this time 5:00 5:30 and wondering where Vic Jon and tony are than Jon shows up and than tony the guy that said don't be late be there buy 6:00 showed up at 6:30 or so still no Vic we got the grill started and the food came out we had more food than 15 people could have eat rib's vision steak brats hamburgers pork steak vision sticks we eat and cleaned up got ready and started to the river get there and set up for the night now the only catfish caught was by me and that was a channel 9 1/2 lbs it was great to get together and talk to you all
    GOOD TRIP here is some pic's

Attached Files:

4. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Sounds like ya had a good time, is Vic still MIA??

5. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    these are the rest of the pic's

Attached Files:

6. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Yes vic is still missing

7. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Gees, what happened to Vic? Did anybody ever find out? I was just reading the posts in the Michigan Rivers talk forum, guess I should have put this in there. Glad to see some brothers getting together for fun and fellowship.

8. cwi47

cwi47 New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Anyway I could get somebody to download the pics and send to my email so I could see them? Gotta have 10 posts just to see them and I don't have that yet:sad2: John

cwi47@comcast.net

Thanks, JC

PS and what are the Gold Coins thingies??:) JC

9. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Nice Cat! The bbq looked pretty good too! Thanks for sharing, Don! 5 more post John, your almost there!

10. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    It was shamefull to have that much food and have to wrap it up for later
    let me tell you that we could have fed 20 people and yall come up one time and see!

11. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    And so it happened; Another weekend gathering and another vicious skunking for me. The skunk-juice is so thick on me my wife makes me wash in tomato juice before going in the house.

I pulled into the park to see Sparky and Don guarding a picnic table as though they knew what sort of goodies would be filling it in the coming hours.
    We yapped a bit, laughing and taking in the sights of the Grand- a big regatta was planned for the weekend, so we spent a lil time watching the row teams glide past, and commenting on them, passing dogs, and general chatter. Shortly after Jross and my buddy Ken came out. Then Jspiel, then Tony... then No Vic. Waited... still no Vic.... Waited more.... cwi47 waltzed up and we had a good talk about knives. Cool guy! we gotta fih together some more there fella!

Tony started the grill and we all migrated into action- In mere moments the shoddy picnic table transformed into a midieval feast: Olives and ribs and brats and venison and burgers and deer sticks and pringles... the list of meaty things grew at a much faster pace than fiberous things- Nobody cared. Where is vic?

Tony called his wife. She brought out more bait. Still no vic- then he called Tony. Vic would not be a guest for the evening. Aparently he got an email from the fish- "gone on vacation, be back next week. Love, Mr whiskers". Vic never told us about his fin-pals. He just backed out, leaving us to find out about the lack of cats on our own. So after viewing more fresh meat than a pool party at wacko Jacko's House, we all loaded into our vehicles and went out for more gills. Not much luck there.

We launched boats and went to the site. Beautiful stretch of river. I commented to Jspeil about the look of the place- Overgrown foliage, downed trees, green water- I half expected Martin Sheen to come down the river past us on a PT boat. In position just about at dark and anchored to a piling in prety swift water, I realized two things: A) I was not going to chance traversing that river after dark. and B) I forgot my coat in the truck.

As for fishing, Ken did land a good sized freshwater drum. We had all of our bait munched into oblivion by turtles and gar. I managed to get a new bobber that we drove up on, but beyond that it was a dead night. I spent a good part of the time lying on my bench seat bundled up and out of the 53 degree breeze. All I had in the boat, I put on... boots, gloves, hat, jogging pants, and a long sleeve tshirt.

In the morning we got to drifting and puttering back. We found out the grandest part of this river- the grand smell. You could scoop bank mud from this place and make stinkbait.

We all sorta grogily exchanged pleasantries after a small mishap with my river yacht- See I have these fiberglass sticks off the back of my trailer. Theyre really great when you have to guide the trailer down into the water so you can see well no matter how steep the drop. Well, as the boat drifted in the current, the rope got caught on the fiberglass stick so I gave the rope a good snap to create a wave in the rope and allow me to pull the boat into the trailer. upon "snapping the line", my tired and coffee-less body let the rope go and off drifted my boat... I hopped the trailer and caught it and with a LOT of help from Tony, we got the ole girl lined up and out of the water.

Sparky and Don followed me back up the road toward home. We stopped in a truckstop diner where the waitress was the highlight of the morning, the coffee was much needed, and the restroom was as welcoming as a city dump. Sparky bought lunch. I got reamed for making too quick a stop with faulty lighting on my trailer (sorry Don and Sparky!).

Overall I had a marvelous time... all things considered. It really did end up being about the comeradierie. Even if the fish were not hungry, we still got a good meal out of it, some good laughs, and a fantastic michigan crowd.

Thanks guys!

12. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    Now that I can type & read without falling asleep, there's not much I can add to that, pretty well sums it up.
    That smell, though, is from the sewage treatment plant, not the mud. When the wind is right it can gag a maggot.
    I don't think it would have mattered where we launched or what hole we were in, or what bait we had- the fish were simply not feeding.
    I mean, I fished fresh feisty nightcrawlers on one rig all night and couldn't get a bite from a rock bass or a 8" channel cat! Figure that out!
    We had a pretty good thunderstorm blow through last night (first real rain in over 2 weeks) so maybe things will get back to normal soon.

Next we need to work out a shore fishing expedition, so we have more time to eat the food and so Sal can get his coat out of the truck, and so the East-side guys don't have to burn so much gas for a change (and so I can pass out for 3 or 4 hours). How's August 18 or 19?
    Then we can talk some more about a pre-Memorial Day 2007 trip South of here.

Big thanks to you generous guys who handed out everything from pickled olives, home brew, brats, smoked fish, and BBQ pork. THAT kind of company is what makes a trip worthwhile.
    God bless y'all.
    Tony

13. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Wrong, just plain wrong. But funny as all get out.

14. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

It was great reading all of your accounts concerning the Grand River fishing excursion! You guys sound like you had a great time shooting the bull, eating, and shooting the bull some more! Man, I wish I could have made a cameo appearance at least, but those last minute Tupperware parties can sure put a dampener on things! It has taken me a few days to recover as well mentally from missing out on the camaraderie that I love with my Michigan brothers! I had some gills, and was holding out hope that I could arrive at the ninth hour! I went fishing that night anyway here locally for a couple of hours, but it just wasn't the same. The whole time I was enjoying that light night breeze I was thinking that you guys were just hammering the flatheads! Little did I know that you guys were actually trying to hit them in the head with a hammer! At least that was the technique that I heard was being employed...no wonder...:0a1: Anywho, you guys had a great time getting together, and I learned two things: One, it must not be in the cards for me to fish on the west side, and two, Sparky can't catch a flathead to save his hide! ROTFLOL! One of those conditions is going to have to change, and real soon!

Don, good pictures brother. The meat on the grill was the best shot of all, because as we know you catch channel cats with your eyes closed. Was it the darkness playing tricks with my mind, or did you get a haircut? LOL. The million dollar question I have for the chef on the grill: Was the beef well done, or was it sporting that reddish tint that I love so much? As Sparky can attest to, I love my beef blood red or not at all! ROTFLMAO!

I have tried not to mention the actual fishing part of the fishing excursion:0a13:, but if it helps I have a couple of gallons of Skunk White exterior that I'm dying to get rid of Sal. ROTFLOL! Hearing that the fish postponed the trip certainly wasn't cool. I was expecting someone to at least hookup with another 20 pounder, maybe a 30. Alas, it was not meant to be for the merry band, but next time it will happen (at least you have to go into it with those positive thoughts). Again, great job guys on your get together, and may there be many more to come.

15. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Vic, you were missed for sure.

Yes the meat was good.. It was meatfest there. More than we knew what to do with!
    We sent some home with Tony's wife... I had a good half slab of ribs left to take home to my.... sniffle.... dog (cause the ice melted in the cooler and it was not safe to eat)

You will get your chance Vic!

We may have to duct tape you to a luggage rack, but youre gonna get time on the grand one way or another.

16. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Thanks brothers, we've all enjoyed reading the various accounts of your "activities" on the Grand. Vic, glad to see you aren't MIA anymore. Sal, what can I say? You have a way with words......lots of words. :big_smile: Makes me smile to think about the good time that was had by all who managed to attend. Great reporting, guys. :smile2:

17. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Real nice cat you caught! After seeing the grill i had to get something to eat.