Michael Waltrip

Discussion in 'Wolfman's Nascar Pit Stop' started by s_man, Feb 15, 2007.

1. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Sabotage, Thats the only thing that comes to mind. Someone out there doesn't want Toyota's in this race. I can't see Michael tossing all his hard earned reputation out the window just to win one race!

2. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Im sure Mikey didnt know himself and was just as big as a surprise to him than anyone. It would be stupid for him to even think about getting away with a stunt like that with all the backing from Toyota.

Sabotage? maybe, but keep in mind the #55 was outside the top 35 in owner points last year and Mikey has to race his way into the race.

3. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    there was alot of penlties handed out this week iv came to the conclusion that all of them have cheated some wear down the road some get cought an some dont

4. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    It's an interesting situation all the way around. According NASCAR.com the team claims that the substance on the intake manifold was oil, NASCAR officials don't think so and confiscated the manifold, impounded the car, and called the substance "unapproved". Odd that NASCAR doesn't know *what* the substance is, but it's unapproved. It seems like the rules are a little bit subjective here. The fines seem a little on the heavy side to me. Suspending a crew chief indefinitley is unprecidented. Odd that Chad Knaus was suspended for four races for cheating to actually win the Daytona 500. Odd that a few years ago the #20 team brought a car to Daytona that didn't fit any of the templates, it was impounded but no fines were handed out.

There's no doubt that there are folks out there who don't want Toyota around. I don't think it's sabotage though. NASCAR is making an example out of the #55 team for the rest of the domestic team owners to see. "Yes sir Mr Rousch, Mr Hendrich, Mr Yates ect... we're on *your* side". The flip side to that leaves Toyota wondering,"Can we be treated fairly in Nextel Cup? What can we expect? What other unprecidented fines will NASCAR hand us next?"

Just some thoughts.

Jon

5. DELLIS

DELLIS New Member

State:
    OHIO
    couldn't of happened to a nicer guy i can't stand a man that prays for rain so he could win his 2nd daytona i don't care if he goes on to win 10 cups in a row i will always remember him as the man that prayed for rain

6. whitewhiskers

whitewhiskers New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    crew chief David Hyder fired, Scott Enggleston to take his place. Toyota said Waltrip has used 2 of his 3 strikes. Sabatoge? i dought thats even a ?. if you gain 2 mph out of nowhere from practice to quilifin your gonna ask where did that come from?. i thought it was funny DW went n hid from everybody he was so embarresed. Spencer was realy raggin mikey about it last nite, said the fines n suspinsions should have been a lot worse, mikey should have known better than to try a stunt like this. BOOGETY BOOGETY THIS DW!! and did you see Rusty Wallce dummy up last nite that was embaressin too.

7. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Sad thing is that all the teams push the limits of the rules. Some just feel they can push FURTHER than the rules and get away with it. Sabatoge? Nope, just plain ol' trying to get an edge. Question is, how high in up does this REALLY go? Was it just Mikey's team, or was it Toyota trying to come in and get the year off to a bang by winnin the 500??

8. bubbasmouse

bubbasmouse New Member

State:
    Chesterfield South Carolina
    Theres no doubt Michael knew what was going on but someone has to be the fall guy and it isn't going to be him. This is a big black eye for Toyota.

9. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Good points, good answers. Makes me think of the old saying, "You can fool all the people some of the time and some of the people all the time. But you can't fool all the people all the time".

And while we're on NEXTEL racing subject..go to KAIT8.com and register. Pick 8 drivers, how many lead changes. This has to be done weekly before the races. If you're lucky at the end of the season and have the highest points you might drive off in a new Ford pickup donated by Mark Martin. Last years was once nice looking truck too and not a cheapie.

I don't remember if the link is on the home page or not. If not, go into sportszone and try it.

10. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    "A beautiful nine-year-old asked her mom on Monday why Daddy cheated the rules," Waltrip said. "That will hurt you pretty bad."

Shoulda thought about that say, FIRST, not after the fact.

11. bsu_catfisher

bsu_catfisher New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, Indiana
    I don't know if Mikey knew about it or not. But I am sure it was someone from his team...there was no sabatoge. These guys just think they can get away with anything they want anymore.

12. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    they should have known that they would be watching those new cars like hawks. they should not tried it whomever done. it. they were caught and deserve to be dished out fines and whatnot. ya, a very poor start for toyotas.

13. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I heard today on TV that it was jet fuel (high grade kerosene).

I'm sure Michael didnt know it. I really dont think he is that dumb. He looks and acts stupid though.

14. bsu_catfisher

bsu_catfisher New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, Indiana
    Currently everything I have read and heard says that it was not jet fuel. NASCAR said that they were not 100 percent on what exactly it is...which is why the car was taken to NASCAR's research lab. They do believe it was a substance to increase the octane of the fuel.

15. mailhiker

mailhiker New Member

State:
    KY
    Last night I was looking around the web, I'm not sure what site it was {started at nascar.com, but I get lost quike with so many links} But it said "Sterno" was smeared inside the manifold to gain a little more horsepower. Face it we may never hear the whole story.

16. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I have spent the last six months shooting a documentary that is airing on ESPN2. It is called, Michael Waltrip Racing: A New Era. WATV Productions if putting the show together. Some of you may have seen parts of it. I have been with Michael, Buffy, and the rest of the folks there day in and day out over the past six months.

We finished shooting in Mooresville last week, and I opted to not go to Daytona. Smartest move I have ever made. :wink: I would not want to be there for what is going on.

I can say this from knowing Michael during this project; whatever was done was not authorized by him. He has too much invested in all of this to do something that would jeapardize MWR's relationship with Toyota.

My opinion, Hyder will be gone by Friday.

Too bad for the guys there that have busted their tales for the past months. Lucikly Michael did make the race, as did all the guys from MWR.

Ironically, Jeff Gordon failed the post race inspection and was only sent to the back of the field. No fine. No suspension.

I guess it helps being the #2 guy among NASCAR fans.

What a season....and we have not even seen the first race.

17. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I believe the problem with Gordon's car was a parts failure,and nothing illegal.

18. carpet1

carpet1 New Member

State:
    Ash Flat,Arkansas
    I hate it for Mickey But he will come out of it

19. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Gordons car was 1" too low. Officials said some bolts were in the wrong place, "but it was an accident and not done on purpose".

20. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    Wyliecat mikie just took the blam for all of it he seems or they all seem to ack like they would not never do any thing like that but they all do as in mikies puting fuel addive in is a nono any way you go at it by nascar