Michael Waltrip Racing

Discussion in 'Wolfman's Nascar Pit Stop' started by wolfman, Feb 27, 2007.

Michael Waltrip ?

1. Should he step aside and sell NAPA parts and run his team from the sidelines

2. Still good enough to race in Nextel Cup and sell NAPA parts

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Should Waltrip sell NAPA parts and run his teams from the sideline? Or does he have to race to sell NAPA parts?

After getting caught cheating at Daytona and then not making the race at California, it doesnt look good for Michael Waltrip. Maybe he should put a hungry, talented youngster in the NAPA car.

2. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    He needs to sit on the sidelines and listen to his older and better driver brother. I bet DW has a loss for words every week they bring Mike up.

3. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    I cant imagine Toyota being very happy with Waltrip's starts this year, or lack of them. After the Daytona incident, Toyota told Mikey that he already had 2 strikes against him. Not qualifying for the California race........ Would that be strike #3?
    I think Mikey has alot of personality, and he has alot to offer NASCAR, just not in a car. He does great in front of a camera, whether its making a commercial or calling a race. jmo

4. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    When he thinks it's time he will stop driving. I just hope he does not hang on as long as DW did. At the end DW was not doing real well. Mike just might be going thru that bad luck phase. Look @ Dale Jr., he has been blowing motors.
    Bill

5. Angler2007

Angler2007 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I think Toyota is barking up the wrong tree by trying to get in to Nascar, but they have a good person to try and get them started. I think they are just having some problems getting the bugs worked out. Look at Jr. he is having the same kind of problems but he will be back in the hunt before it is all said and done.

6. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    that boy could not drive a thirsty goat to water i dont think he would be in it if wasnt for his brother

7. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    Wolfman, you didn't give the best choice - michael should get out of racing.
    i cannot believe toyota has him for the flagship team. he is good at PR, but that is about it.

8. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    Ugh,

As a Dale Jarrett fan; I can only groan at what's going on at MWR. I know that the season is young, but thus far I've watched DJ ride around in the back of the field and pick up positions only when folks in front him wreck or blow up. *Sigh* He's another former champion that has disappeared into obscurity, like Terry Labonte and DW. I used to pull for DJ to win, now I'm elated for him to finish on the lead lap, and even then I'm often disappointed. But hey! it's just that much easier to pack up and go fishin' on Sunday!:smile2:. Perhaps I should keep my loyalties with RYR. I've always liked Ricky Rudd, and still have a butt-load of "88" hats. Gillilam looks to be a promising rookie, and I have alot of respect for Todd Parrot as a crew chief. Personally, I think that Bill Davis Racing has a better chance at being the Toyota flagship.

Jon

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    What ended DW's success as a driver was going from driver to owner driver.
    It rarely works even more so now then years ago.

10. Ictalurus Punctatus

State:
    Greensboro, NC

True enough. The only one who comes to mind that had even minimal success doing it was Rick Rudd. Even he wasn't in contention for championships while he was driving the 10.

Jon

11. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Alan Kulwicki was the last owner driver I believe that had enough success to win a championship.

12. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC

Those old guys..Making laps , going to the bank. they dont have to race and wont race like they used too. Who started the falling to the rear of the field in plate races? Dale Jarrett. Age makes you wiser and more of a chicken.

13. Ictalurus Punctatus

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    Yup. I never really understood Jarrett's mentality on that whole "falling to the back of the field" thing. I know that he *probably* won't get caught up in "The Big One", but then the big wreck *is* going to happen in front of you. It seems to me the safest place to be is in front of everyone else, then the wreck is *behind* you.

When he first started that strategy he had a car underneath him that'd let him get back through the field in a hurry. Before the RAD program at DEI and RCR, when Ford was dominat at the restrictor plate tracks. Now he simply doesn't have the muscle that he used to. His problems seemed to have started when NASCAR started the "one engine" rule.

Perhaps he just doesn't care anymore, perhaps he's just in a slump, and now with a new race team. Earnhart Sr, and Rusty Wallace both went through something similar, but they did manage to win a race or two in the end. Then again, Terry Labonte never did win again.

Jon

14. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    I say if he can make time when they qualify, he should race, if not, step down. I don't like the fact that some drivers get to race no matter what based on their status. I understand it's about the money and many people wouldn't watch if the big guns didn't make it by qualifying time. I say so what, be fair, and make every racer earn his spot in every race, every week.

15. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Michael Waltrip is a good driver. He did not cheat for Daytona......his team did the rules problem. or cheated. He did not qualify, but he can only do what his car can put out. It has nothing to do with Waltrips ability. I think Toyota should have moved right in. They are a company that is doing more and more in the US compared to others that are going out of here. They need time to get the bugs out. This whole season may not be great for them, but that is part of it. I am sure if they sank as much money as Chevy into Nascar, they could be up front too.

16. Outlw36

Outlw36 New Member

State:
    Prineville, Oregon
    Not like they just got started, how long has Toyota been in the truck series?

17. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
    they have been there for a while, which is why I think it was a natural move to go on into the cars too. Give them time. If they come into the cars like they did the truck series, all the people complaining with really have something to complain about:eek:oooh:

18. lakeside

lakeside New Member

State:
    arizona
    waltrip is a cheater plane and simple

19. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I hate to break the news but have you seen a NASCAR rulebook?
    There aint a crew chief out there that hasnt "cheated".
    What they call cheating is often an ingenious idea and playing in the gray area of the rule book.

I highly doubt drivers and owners know if a crew chief is cheating. Its not a planned thing. Alot of these drivers are hired guns. They dont know a box end from a monkey wrench.
    Just like a driver has to produce to keep a ride a crew chief has to produce to keep a ride. They are well paid. Enough to bend the rules as needed.

20. catchaser1

catchaser1 New Member

State:
    Anderson S.C.
    Y'all give the guy a break, what kind of stress you think he's got on him? need not to forget he won the daytona 500 twice. I dont really think he knew anything about what his crew was doing when they got caught cheating, hes too honest of a guy, but thats racing too, How many of yalls favorite drivers cheat and never get caught, its all the same, every one does it so he should quit? What if that would have happened to Jr, what then?