Michael Ryno's Bait Tank

Discussion in 'Catfishing Library' started by Whistler, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Original post made by Michael Ryno(Catfish Addiction) on May 9, 2005

Alright,
    Here it is in detail.

These are pics of the whole setup, put together and running. My system consists of Two 55 Gal drums, A small above ground swimming pool pump, A homemade filter system, and bait. Drum "A" is for bait, and drum "B" is to hold water for the bait drum. The water sits up in drum "B" so that the chlorine will disapate and the temperature will be the same as drum "A". This prevents shocking the fish with a higher or lower water temperature. Drum "A" has the bucket over it and drum "B" has the cover over it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I took the two 55 Gal drums and installed a drain in the bottom of each drum with a ball valve on the outside to control the release of the water. I came up with a "screen tube" (see Picture) on the inside of the drain to keep from sucking the bait against the drain and plugging it up. I took a piece of hardware cloth and made a tube that will fit into the drain hole. This "screen tube" keeps the dead bait or trash from blocking the flow of water out of the drain. For the drain I took a 1" PVC male adapter (outside) and a 1" female adapter (inside) and fitted them together through the drain hole I made in the drums. If you lubricate them just a tad they will go together better. After the adapters are screwed together through the hole I packed a sealer all around the fittings. The sealer is called MP1, its in a orange caulk type tube. This MP1 is the best sealer I've used, and I've used alot of differant types of sealer. I let the MP1 set up for about a week, I didn't want any leaks what so ever. Here are a few pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The small pool pump that is pictured in the first pics, pumps the water from the drain up to a filter I made out of one 3gal and one 5 gal bucket. At the end of the return hose you can see a Gatorade bottle full of holes. I put these holes in there with the head of a hot roofing nail. The bottle defuses the water and spreads it out as it falls into the rocks of the filter. The 3 gal bucket is full of river rock, and the 5 gal bucket is filled with furnace filter and activated charcoal. I cut the filter to fit perfect in the bottom of the bucket, put a few inches of activated charcoal then another fitted filter. I then threw in the scrap filter just because I could. I only filled the 5 gal with filters enough so the 3 gal would sit in the top of it just right. The bottom (5gal) bucket has just enough 1/4" holes in it to keep the water from filling up the filter and overflowing the top.

Continued in next post

2. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Continued from previous post

Here are a few pics.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Continued in next post

3. Whistler

State:
    TN
    Continued from previous post

[​IMG]

Just for some extra oxygen I added 2x aquarium pumps and four weighted 6" air stones,. When I feed the bait fish (Gold fish Flakes) I turn off the pump and leave the air stones going.
    Here are a couple pics....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When I change the water every 3 to 5 days, I remove the drain hose and open the valve to release the old water to the leavel I want. To fill Drum "A" back up I hook the drain hose to drum "B", turn the pump on, and fill Drum "A" back to the level I desire with fresh, clean, chlorine free, temperature ajusted water.
    Here is a pic of some bait that has been in the tank for about 6 weeks now:

[​IMG]

I hope this will help some of you catfishing Brothers out. This system doesn't make much noise and is very friendly on the electric bill. I've put together alot of bait tanks in the past and this is the best and cheapest one I've put together yet. I've never been able to keep bait alive here at the house as long as I have in this bait tank. Good luck Brothers, If you need any help or advice just let me know, and if you make it my way lets go fishing, catfishing of coarse...Be safe and I'll see you around, Michael A.K.A. Catfish_addiction

4. Catfish_addiction

Catfish_addiction New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'v got a pearch that has been living in this bait tank for 18 month.