Mice

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by jailcop2, Aug 2, 2006.

1. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    I remember as a kid , my grandfather showing up at the house with a flathead that weigh'd 40ish lbs . He and his buddies use to fish the Missouri River with hoopnets and ditty poles . This particular flathead was caught on a mouse , I was told they used mice on a regular basis and did quite well with them . Anybody out there hear of this ?
    Brian

2. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    My dad told me that when he was younger and renting a house with a couple guys, bacheloring it up, they used to kill mice in traps and freeze them and use them as catfish bait. He said they used to catch a lot of channels on them, but never any flats.

3. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    some of the sqeemish may hate me but when im in Canada for Pike I use small have a heart traps. A big Pike cant resist a live mouse

4. elalr

elalr New Member

State:
    warsaw missouri
    ive heard of bass on mice but never catfish. ill have to try it

5. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Mice would work particularly well after a good rain. Flatheads (and other cats) will come up to feed on whatever gets washed in. Mice, rats, birds, shrews, worms, whatever.

6. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have never personally tried it,I don't see why it would not work.Also I have heard of using baby birds out of the nest.This I have not tried either but I have heard of those who do and they claim it to work! No reason that I can think of not to try it,in my opinion as far as mice goes the only good mouse is a dead mouse! Baby birds on the other hand I feel I'm a little too soft hearted for that:smile2:

7. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    My grandmother used a baby bird one time, but she found it dead next to pond. I don't feel bad about that one at all. I might have a problem using a live one, but I don't really know yet.

8. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    i wish that catfish would swim up to my garage. I have never had mice until lately, I might get some live traps and try them out for bait.

9. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I use to catch Mice out of the oat storage bins in Elloree to sell to some Bass fishermen that came to Santee.They would hook them in the skin of the back (no weight) and cast them to feeding Bass late in the evenings at Chapel Branch.The mice could swim awhile with no weight.They would keep them in old 5 gal steel buckets with air holes punched in them.Peewee-williams

10. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    When the baby swallows are leaving the nest under the bridges,a lot of them drown.Every critter feeds on them downstream of the bridges.Take advantage of it.It is a yearly bonanza for everything that will eat them.It is also a great opportunity for fishermen.The time varies from South to North.peewee-williams

11. Big Eli

Big Eli New Member

State:
    Ohio, Clifton
    I have a friend in Indiana with a horse farm, barn with hay loft. We would go up in the hay loft and find the nests and get the pinkie's and fish his pond. The channels would go hog wild over them. Once you caught one the others would almost break water when you would thro a fresh one in!!! I think you can buy the pinkie's at pet stores that sell feeders for snakes.

12. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Yup, float them out on a piece of cedar shingle and when it gets to where you want it, just jerk the little rascal off his ride and let him swim.

13. rat fink

rat fink New Member

State:
    illinois
    as a matter of fact i wounderd the same thing a wile agow and posted on it on the old boc home page dint get much info more than a few ews and nastys but what sparked my ceourosity was a bass lure i saw a " foating mouse " i never tried it becouse i dint have live traps and i wasent in to set lining at the time now im a junkie for the bobby poles its like xmass when a pole is dannsing you dont know what you got untill you pull it in ill have to catch some and try them and thanks for conferming that imm not the onlie one that wounders about this