Mice

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by fishermanfred, Jul 4, 2006.

1. fishermanfred

fishermanfred New Member

How in the world can I keep the mice out of the moter of my truck and chewing the wires and hoses. I put decon in there and they eat it but also the wires and hoses. I sure need some help it has cost over 200$ in the last few months for repairs, I am afraid they are going to do some real damage somtime. Can I sprey somthing in their to keep them out?

2. janton311

janton311 New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I dont know...stick a cat in there:smile2:

3. rompn84yota

rompn84yota New Member

State:
    Indiana
    cats is the trick to getting rid of mice. get a few barn cats and all ur problems will be solved

4. Fishing Fred

Fishing Fred New Member

State:
    Lillington, N.C
    If the cat won't keep'em out you might try a rat snake !!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    TOMCAT Mouse And Rat bait. I think you can get it at Kmart or Walmart too. Best stuff I ever used. The box has 6 pouches in it and you don't open the packages you just lay them around in your garage, barn, house, any outbuildings. I had trouble just about October last year with those little critters getting into my shed. They ate that stuff and took some back for the younger generation...Toast! no more mice.
    Don

6. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    snakes are so messy when you crank the motor and they get in fanbelt!:eek:oooh:

maby spray motor with something inedible? :roll_eyes: motor oil? (mine sprays itself):sad2:

7. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    The thing about bait is if they do eat it and die they may die in your truck or in your garage. At work we have glue traps and they work great. I assume they are crawling up your tires to get into the hood. Try surrounding the tires with these glue traps (WalMart) and leave them overnight. Come back in the morning and count exactly how many mice have been giving you trouble. They are impregnated with sugar so the mice can smell it and they come to it and get stuck on it. You catch the culprit and dispose of them, trap and all. No dead mice around to smell up the place, no poison to lay out which may attract pets and children. If children or pets come into contact with the glue, worst thing is it gets stuck to them but it comes right off. I had 5 sacks of corn in a barn one deer season and saw alot of mice had been in it. Got a bunch of traps and made a complete circle around the corn. Next day I went back and EVERY SINGLE MOUSE had been caught over night. Never had another problem with them again in that barn. Hope this helps.

8. Kittyhunter

Kittyhunter New Member

State:
    Princeton, NC
    I work on cars and have seen this a lot. For some reason they like to chew wires. I had one that caught on fire because the mouse chewed the plastic fuel line and the spark plug wires. It doesn't take much thinking to figure that one out. It did $2800 in damage to the customer's Caddy. I think they like the warmth from the engine and it has some good hiding places.

9. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

put some moth balls around and under your truck if you don't have dogs are small kids to get into them. When they were doing a lot of construction behind our house I had to put them under it in the crawl space to grt rid of the mice.

10. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    1st off it would help if you could tell us where your place is & a little bit about the area. In town,in a subd,out in the country? Do you have kid's or pets of your own or near by? Are the mice coming from your yard or indoors? This info will help me in trying to find you an answer to your mice problem. I wouldn't want to give you info. on a Chem and find out later it was use in the wonge manner. Due to the fact that it can be vary harmful if Chem's are used in the wonge manner.

11. Boss Hogg

Boss Hogg New Member

State:
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    It takes a true hillbilly to have mice in his car, congrats brother!

12. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    You might try spray washing the truck motor and tires to remove the scent trail of the mice. they eat the wires insulation because its made of soybean based compounds.

13. Fishing Fred

Fishing Fred New Member

State:
    Lillington, N.C
    Would almost bet your problems are squirrels. If you are leaving your truck parked for several days you should see some mice droppings on your motor. Squirrels love to chew on wire, especially plug wires. Have seen this many times. Have heard you can use a radio or some other noise for a while but mice or squirrels can get used to it. Some kind of flashing light under your hood might work. Have seen an electronic rodent repellent advertised somewhere but as usual can't remember where. Let us know what happens with this problem.

14. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

Hey Boss Hogg didnt your wife have mice in her car..Only they werent under the hood, they were in the ACTUALL car...Thats just what i heard

15. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    I battle the darn things all the time in my barn, garage, and my ATTIC!
    Tried lots of things before I found something they hate.
    The moth balls work because they can't stand the smell, hurts their little noses. Well, so does PINE CLEANER. I buy the cheap store brand and put it in a pump up garden sprayer, diluted with water about 50/50.
    I spray the perimeter of the barn, inside & out, the garage, and even the attic. Lasts a couple months before I have to do again.
    Give it a try. Cheap, safe, & easy.
    Those cannisters of car-freshener/odor remover put out a STRONG smell, too, but I can only use them in the barn or they make ME sick...

16. catwacker

catwacker New Member

State:
    illinois
    I use downy dryer sheets in my camper. they keep the mice out. they will also repell 'skeeters and most other pests. My neighbor hangs them in his garden and they keep the deer and rabbits out. just a thought.
    larry