Mice Problems, Suggestions

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Dano, Oct 4, 2005.

1. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    We have mice problems at my house. I hate mice. Can't trust em. LOL. Been setting traps. In the past week or so we have caught about 8 but been catching them for the past 2-3 months. They dont get in the food are anything. They must be having babies cause everytime we catch one, I'm thinking the babies die and start smelling for about 3 days.
    Sometimes we can hear em in the walls but can't find any hole in the walls. Must be getting in through the attic.. My house is on a slab so can't go under. LOL.

I don't really want to use those packs of rat poison. Wouldn't want my dog to eat a dead mouse and die. Had one die from R.P. but the rat poison didn't come from my house. Plus the babies smell bad enough, the others go to dieing anywhere and everywhere, man, I could take the smell.
    I was thinking about looking for some kind of smoke bomb to set up in my attic. That is where they are coming from I think. I can see tunnels in the attic insulation. I have heard of some sound devices that keeps em away but dont know which one is the best are even if they really work. I really don't want to get a cat, might have too. Tired of setting traps and smelling the dead babies when we catch Mom mouse.
    All I need is one to run across me at night while in bed. :mad:
    Something will be broke and hurt before its over with. probably me. LOL. I don't like em and I will grab anything and everything to beat one to death if it ran across me. Might even grab the shot gun. That would bring out the textures in the walls. LOL.

Anybody got and suggestions. I could sure use em.

Thanks
    Dano

2. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    place a few of these around and im sure the pests will go nuts and leave

3. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    look it the poor mouse go insane the horror of it all. LMBO

4. Cyclops01

Cyclops01 New Member

State:
    Eden, NC.
    Dano, my friend,

I have the absolute perfect mouse population control devices on planet Earth. I have to admit, it took a lot for me to work around the stigmatism involved with owning these little marvels, but once I saw how well they work, I realized a life without mice would otherwise be impossible.

CATS, Dano!!! Get a couple and let'em have at it. They even work in the dark.

:thumbsup:

Mike

5. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    look at the pic my friend. a few in the attic and in the crawlspace and they will dissappear. chokes em. my wifes 88 year old grand ma told me about em 5 years ago. any time we get em around this time of year at harvest i toss these in. they will be gone. no traps or pioson.

hedge apples. (osage orange) not sure if they grow where your at though.

6. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    cats4uandme,

I have never seen one of those things you have but I want some!

Where can I get em and how much for a big ole box of em. I live in the middle of soy and corn fields and am allergic to cats. I'd gladly pay for a mouse cure if that works!

Sal

7. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    we always called those things monkey balls when I was little, haven't seen them since then, either. Ah, memories.... :)

8. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Throw some moth ball in your attic , works on spiders and skunks also when they get under your house,
    Also the sticky mouse trap papper works good ,
    moth ball should move them out.

9. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Dano the best thing going is a good snake just the smell of one will send those little devils running. Another benfit is they keep your endlaws out of the house also....LOL

10. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    First, thanks everybody for your suggestions. This has become a major problem in our house. Like I said, No one here likes mice. Just something about em that aint right. I wasn't joking about getting my shot gun if one every ran across me. And if one ever ran up my pants legs, lord help me and ever body around me. Something bad will happen but for sure, the thing would not live very long. LOL.

What I don't understand about these mice. What the heck are they eating. None of our food, bread, crackers etc., has ever been chewed on but we put a trap out with cheese or peanut butter, they will hit it and POP. I'm tire of traps. Sometimes they are still alive and running around the kitchen with trap stuck to em. That means I have to get out of bed and get rid of it so the wife doesn't have to hear the little fellow run around with trap and mouse squeaking all night. LOL.

Has anyone ever heard of those devices that plug in and puts off a sound, humans can't hear, that keeps away mice and other bugs. I have heard of em, seen on TV, in magazines before but I never knew of anyone who has used them. Has anyone ever heard of this and if so, do they really work. I can't afford to waste money on a product that wont work.
    When I get more time I will try a internet search on this and see what comes up. I would just like to hear from someone who has tested these things out, before I waste my time on it.

I will try the ideals and keep trying to thin em out some. Looks like a long winter with extra house guess if I can't rid our place of em.

11. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    DRC, I think your ideal will work too good. I just want to get rid of mice, not people. I don't want my dog to run off either. That plan is like pushing the nuke button. LOL.

Mike, That is an ideal we just might have to do. We might end up getting a couple of cats if all else fails. Problem is, we like dogs and never been much of a cat owner.

Jeremy, I have never heard of using those. Do you just throwing in the area or do you cut them open first. We call em horse apples and I can't remember why. Horse's don't eat em. They do grow in our area but are hard to find. I know of a place where I might get some if the tree was not cut down by loggers. I will have to check that out. It want hurt to try them. I just wonder how it chokes em. Must put off some kind of order or something.

Sal, I guess your trying for a solution like me. I'm sure you have tried many things. Its kind of like, you build it ( a House ) and they will come. LOL. . Maybe both of us can try these ideals out and hope they work. Good luck

Jen, Monkey balls, that is too funny. LOL

Primitivefrn, moth balls sounds good. I'm surprise I didn't try that all ready. I use moth balls in my storage shed. Maybe that is why we have mice in our house. We ran em out of our storage shed. LOL.

Gator, I'm not surprised at your ideal. LOL. My wife would move out if I turn snakes loose in the attic. Snakes, don't bother me as long as I know where they are at. I would rather have a snake problem than mice. LOL. I don't like being surprise by one. I will catch and hold one. As long as I have control, snakes don't scare me. We actually have a ball pathon in a big glass cage. Had her for about 7 years or so. She only eats maybe, once a month. I would need several more. If our snake are any other crawled across my wife at
    night, BOOM, the whole house would be destroyed, I would never see her again and I would be in hospital and maybe in 6 months or so I could walk again, if I lived.. LOL. You are right about the inlaws. They don't even like knowing our snake is in the house. I love it. LOL.

Thanks for the help guys/gals.

12. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    Dano, we have mice and snakes in our house. The snake helps, and most of the time, we forget it's here (except for when my hubby finds snake skins in the basement :eek: ) It's just a brown snake, and unless I find it upstairs, I'll leave it be, lol. As for the mice, we deal with the same exact thing here. Seems like for every trap I set, ten more mice move in. If you keep at it, eventually you should be able to make a dent in the population. I've actually noticed, when they get bad, that I'll catch the biggest ones first, then medium, then the littlest guys. Like we're wiping out the adults first, then the younguns, lol.

Cats aren't an option for me, I'm allergic. :sad:

13. sam9266

sam9266 New Member

State:
    Albany, GA
    Dano...

I dont have a solution but if mice are that bad then you also need to start checking under the hood of your cars. Sounds kinda funny I know.. but I work for a Ford dealership and as winter aproaches we always get a lot of vehicles with chewed wire damage.. something about salt content in wire insulation.
    We see them drive in with check engine lights all the time and find small nest built in the nooks and crannies of the engine compartment all the time. Several thime we have had actual mice still in the nest after driving the vehicle to us. Just saw one last week and it made me think I should warn you.
    Cost the customer 800.00 for repairs of main engine harness.

Good luck.. Sam

14. Big Nick

Big Nick New Member

State:
    McKinney TX
    We always called those things Horse apples. I've never heard of them being used for mice deterent, but I can understand why they would choke em, those things are sticky as heck. I can just see a mouse getting his cheeks full of it and not being able to get that mess out of his mouth. However, around where I live the squirrels will eat the living bejeepers out of em.

Hey Sal, I don't think anyone sells em, but I can sure as heck send them in the mail for a little $$$. ;) They are everywhere near my house.

15. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Big Nick, Ill take you up on that. Let me know a price for shipping and your troubles and I will do it.

ALSO- I have heard that dryer sheets keep them away from some areas... has anyone tried them?

I know where to get those but I am not wasting my $ on them if they are not backed by someone I know from here or elsewhere... it seems wierd.

Sal

16. Big Nick

Big Nick New Member

State:
    McKinney TX
    Sal, I'll take a look around and make sure they're still in season. I know they've been around all summer, but I havn't taken notice to them lately. I'll check it out this evening and let you know if they are still around. If you have any horses, give them a few, they love em!

17. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Dano, I know you said you don't want to use poison, but I've found living out in the woods like we do that it's the best way to keep them gone. Get an ice cream bucket, the ones they sell at walmart with one gallon of ice cream in it. When it's empty drill or punch holes in it about the size of a quarter. 4 holes, is how many I use. Place a block of that poison like they sell at the co-op in the middle and put the lid on. Set it under something or behind something and forget it. If you use the good poison, it will send them looking for water before they die. Long as you don't have water standing inside, you'll not have to worry about the smell. I've got these in my garage, work shed, under my travel trailer, boat, in the crawl space under my house and I've never smelled a dead mouse that I know of. When we first moved in, we used traps with a small piece of bread on it. Caught 22 mice in about a week. All on our kitchen counter or in the cabinets above the stove. Kept getting them til we started using the method above. This won't work for big rats, but it will for the small field mice. Just something that's worked for me. Hope you get them under control. I've heard the horse apples work good too. Bunches of them here.

18. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I use a large lizzard,called a Tokay Gecko.It eats roaches,spiders and all kinds of insects,plus mice.Even rats leave,as it will seek out and eat their young,and has a bite bad enough to require stitches at times.Talk about "environmental friendly".it;s perfect!I react to insecticides,so I use nature.They are found as far north as Japan,and are a valued house guest in many parts of the world.Works for me.peewee-williams

19. quadman

quadman New Member

State:
    Danville, Virginia
    Dano we lived in a house with mice once! It was so bad they tunneled into our ramen noodles and gutted the bag! We eventually moved from that house and bought one of the sound devices that you are talking about, actually we have 3 of them. I don't know if it's because of them or not but we havn't had a single mouse in our other house yet and it sits in a similar location to what the mouse infested house did. I can't remember what the name of the sound machines are, I just know we got them from Lowes.

20. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya. the stuff gets caught in the esop/ and chokes em. those things are all over here. seen a tree at a pond i fish. they had fruits on it a couple weeks ago when i was dove hunting.