Mice for flathead catfish bait?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by reelking92, Jun 12, 2007.

1. reelking92

reelking92 New Member

State:
    MI
    there is a crazy old man who fishes around here who catches live mice in his grain silohs and then uses them for bait. Heard he's caught some pretty big ones too.

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I can tell ya I've had no success with usein em for channels. Yea! I tried it. LOL!

3. wiskeredwarrior101

wiskeredwarrior101 New Member

State:
    virginia
    presentation would be a real killer for the method that i would do but here it is and an explanation. I would hook them through the chest with a smaller hook so they have movment and no weight or weight with ALOT of line so they can get to the top. My explanation- my buddy is a real big aqarium guy and he has these two tanks one with pirahana and one with you guessed it kittys. He throws live mice in there and lets them swim on the top and they make quite a comotion swimming (they are surprisingly good at it.) and the fish come up and just tear them up. So if you can get the mouse on top so it can swim but weight it so it cant get back to shore i think it would work.

4. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    PETA would have a field day with this post! :eek:oooh:

5. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    lmao. there goes my GIRLFREIND FISHING WITH ME !!!

6. kory

kory New Member

State:
    Fairfield, Ohio
    might be a good thing.....if ya need to get away

i've heard of using mice bass fishing, but never cats....i spose it would work.

7. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i have used live mice hooked in the loose skin in front of the hind leg. if you don't cast them too hard, they will swim. all i ever caught this way was bass. i was free lining them in the hutton branch.
    oh yeah, PETA can kiss my b@$$ on any subject, while we're on the subject!

8. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas

haha i was thinking the exact same thing

9. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    "oh yeah, PETA can kiss my b@$$ on any subject, while we're on the subject!"[/quote] massa jorge

AMEN catman had a good quote thingy for peta, People Eating Tasty Animals

10. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    my favorite is "there's plenty of room for all god's creatures, right next to the mashed potatoes and gravy."

11. flathead jack

flathead jack New Member

State:
    ohio
    I don't think i'd hook it straight thru the chest, how 'bout pullin the skin up on the shoulders and hookin him through there, you know how you pick up a puppy by the hide. he'd stay alive longer and be fresh:lol:

12. STUMPKNOCKER

STUMPKNOCKER New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Dont know bout mice but the squirells just wont live good enough

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

13. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

fishing feild mice in holes near the banks of rivers is an old school method around here and many a flathead was taken doing it

14. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I wonder where my post is about using feral cats doused with WD40?

15. smokinshogun

smokinshogun New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Thats a good idea to use mice. They would probably enjoy eating them. Do you think I could use the hairless babies for channel cats you think? Always seem to have those around here.

Now I want a ?piranna? in my fish tank, sounds like it would be interesting to see them feed on a live mouse that can swim but not get out.

16. semper fi

semper fi New Member

State:
    virginia
    mice might work but ive found that if you can catch em, get you a big mouthed long haired hippie lookin peta member and but a 7/0 gama circle hook through his ear, toss him out in the stumps and let him swim around out there for a while before long youll hear a big splash and then the clicker screamin... the key to hookin em on this type of bait is letting em chew on em for a good bit then set the hook you usually just bring back ear but you still get the satisfaction of hearing that little twerp tryin to get out of the mouth of a big ole flathead

17. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hey Stan, what makes you think hippies didn't and don't like to catfish? :wink:

18. Bream baiter

Bream baiter New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I've heard of an old technique called shingling. It's used in an area with some current. You just use a small piece of wood to float a hooked mouse downstream to the spot where you want to fish like maybe a laydown or log jam. When the mouse gets to the spot, just give a little tug to pull it off the wood. Also, you might want to try using a rubberband around the body of the mouse and just slip the hook under it. That would eliminate the need to put the hook into the mouse.

19. ahab

ahab New Member

State:
    texas
    I've heard of an old technique called shingling. It's used in an area with some current. You just use a small piece of wood to float a hooked mouse downstream to the spot where you want to fish like maybe a laydown or log jam. When the mouse gets to the spot, just give a little tug to pull it off the wood. Also, you might want to try using a rubberband around the body of the mouse and just slip the hook under it. That would eliminate the need to put the hook into the mouse.

That's an old lumberjack trick used up in Canada and Maine circa early 1900's
    fishing for smallmouth bass.They would secure a mouse to a small chip of wood and it didnt take much to incite a big smallmouth to come up and take it- This why hairbugs are so effective (flyfishing) for bass and especially smallmouths, It an old trick and been around for like forever.

For Flatheads??? Never tried or heard of it. :crazy: