mice for catfish bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by dinkbuster1, Jan 5, 2006.

1. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    anyone ever use mice for blue/flat/channel bait? some years back i bought a pack of mouse traps and set them up in the weeds near our fishing spot to catch mice to try for bait. we got about 4 mice and remember my freind caught 2 huge channels and i caught a turtle. havent tried them since.

2. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Hey Dink, since I moved into my old farmhouse here, I got more mice then I know what to do with. Cat has caught about a dozen that I have found in the last 4 months with many more Im sure, you come and set the traps and you can have all you can take :rolleyes:
    Maybe we should start posting how they work on lots of huge fish and then start selling them to folks like Mellon :p We could make a small fortune!

PS on a serious side, I never used them for cats but have caught huge trout with dear hair mice (flies) so I know aquatic species will eat them since they often fall into the water

Salmonid

3. centralcalcat

centralcalcat New Member

State:
    Marion, TX
    I have never thought of using them on cats, but I have caught several large b@$$ on mice imatations. Hmmmm....makes ya think.

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i'll let mellon put them on the hook for me lol, those things stink to high heaven, especially when you mash 'em a little and put a hook through them. very hard to get that "funk" off your hands even with LAVA soap!

5. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Thats a bit much for me! I do remember someone mentioned using a harnness with a hook and a live mouse! Put the mouse on a floating pice of bark and float him out to desired spot and pull the mouse off the bark! Fish on! I think I would have a hard time eating a fish that I found the remains of a mouse in though!

6. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    ive heard of useing mice, baby chickens for big flats

7. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    its rare, but happens... summertime ill see a field mouse swimming and if i can catch it ill stick a hook thru the nape of its neck and let it swim around logs and trees and such. always good for a bass or two.

8. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    I'vr heard about people talking about mice for bait but it always came from guys fishing paylakes. I had always thought it was a tall tale

9. coolbig2

coolbig2 New Member

State:
    Greenville, SC
    Call me a big softy, but I dont have the heart to put a hook through a live mouse and watch it swim around. I like mice :eek:

10. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i dont think i could either, have to kill 'em first. traps done that for me anyway.

11. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If it means I could land a nice fish, I'd stick that hook through in a second! Would be no different than using a crawdad or minnow for me.

What the heck, If I can get a couple I will try them this year.

An excellant way to catch live mice is to site a minnow trap out. They will go right in & cant get put.

12. truck

truck New Member

State:
    williamsburg ohio
    I am going to have to be doing real bad with skips and shad before I will try a mouse :) Good luck guys

13. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    as soon as you try to reach in there to get one your gonna get bit! i tried the same thing with a taped up shoe box with a small hole, i reached in there and three mice started goin nuts on my hand. my buddies 'bout coughed up a lung laughing! thats why i bought the traps. gotta be careful too and not get RABIES! lucky i didnt get rabies.

14. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    I don't think I'd be able to shove a live mouse onto a hook and feed it to the fish. So, I'd definitely kill it first, mouse trap etc. I have heard of a few people using mice and i've heard that they've done pretty well. Where can i find mice to use for bait? We get some in our basement but only 1 or 2 a year.

15. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    during the summer put some traps out near cornfeilds or any type field really, along the weed edge along the river, even a vacant lot in the neighborhood, mice are everywhere you just dont notice them.

16. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Dang it guys, you now have me wondering. If I grabbed them w/ a real long pair of plairs they wouldnt bite. Hell, I'm going to try it!

17. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    I think this year I am gonna experiment with a WHOLE CHICKEN. :eek:

18. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Maybe I'll go to the Peta Website & inquire the proper way to hook a live mouse!

19. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    how would you put a mouse on your hook?

20. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    seen a guy using dead birds once.......