Mice for bait?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Larry Beever, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Larry Beever

Larry Beever New Member

State:
    Indianapolis Indiana
    Hi all, I read somewhere here in the past about
    using mice for cats.I'm not shy about using anything for bait if it will work.I also know how to aquire mice both live and frozen. So have any
    of you used them with success? Did you cut them up
    or use them whole? Thanks!

2. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Oh, here we go again...

3. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    In the number two link posted on here, I'm the one who found that mouse in the cat's stomache. Emmett (stitch) and I go fishin' together quite a bit, but neither have used mice that I know of... Sorry I couldn't help, but I'd assume as long as they're on top of CALM water, then I bet you'll get a fish...what kind could depend on the location.

-Red

4. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    i'm just wondering why anyone would resort to using mice for bait. " you know i really catch the hell out of cats on skips and shad but i bet if you put a mouse on that hook.........." stick to what they eat and you'll do fine.

5. Larry Beever

Larry Beever New Member

State:
    Indianapolis Indiana
    Doug, Thanks for the links. I"m new to this group
    so I missed all of those threads.

And to answer Keith's question about why soneone would want to use mice instead of shad or whatever.
    Let's face it,Even the preferred baits don't work
    all the time. So it's nice to find alternatives.
    That's all.

Guess I'll be buying some mice real soon!

6. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    Of course cats eat mice. felines that is.

7. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Call me a purist, but if I can't catch a fish on live fish, cut bait, or worms, I chalk it up as a bad day fishing, and try again another time. Very rarely do I get skunked, but those are the only baits that I use. I hardly ever even use worms because I'm after cats, not drum, gar, perch, carp, or whatever else happens by. I do take them incase fishing is slow, and I just want to catch something. I will not use a mammal as bait. Maybe frozen "pinkies" would be OK, but that's defeating the purpose of using a mouse because they don't swim, and squeek, and cause a comotion like a live adult mouse would. Anybody tried kittens? ROTFLMAO!!!!:smile2:

8. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    i'll challenge anybody out there on any day to a fishing contest on the river and i'll fish with shad and skipjacks and they can use all the rodents and small scurrying animals they want and i'll guarantee the results won't be close.

9. riverfishinfool

riverfishinfool New Member

State:
    ohio
    My girlfriend gets on me about killing shad and skipjack, Id hate to see what she would do if she caught me using mice.

10. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Boy O boy the guy just asked a question he wasnt challenging the effectiveness of any other baits nor trying to make anyone mad LOL

11. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    One last thought on this thread what would be the difference between taking down a deer with a rifle as compared to catching a catfish with a field mouse?

12. LadyValea1

LadyValea1 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    I'll stick with the Tom catching Jerry and all the antics of the smart little mouse..

13. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Well Now this and all the other "Mice for Bait" threads are fine? I posted one a long time ago "Pink Mice" and it pissed off lots of ppl even the top dog and was removed. That thread was statred as a joke,however it wasn't taken as a joke by most. LOL Now I see these post about mice for bait popping up. Don't you just love it when someone comes up with a new idea for a thread,so that topic can be repeated for months/years to come? LOL

14. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    No. But if you want to try them I'll send you a doz or so. I have tons of them around here I'd be glad to let you use. LOL

15. baitshop 2

baitshop 2 New Member

State:
    georgia
    WELL I HAVE HAD A FREZZER FULL OF ALL SIZE RATS EVEN A GENIE PIG OR TWO AND SOME SMALL RABBITS OR TWO AND A LOT OF PEOPL WANTED TWO KNOW WHAT WE WERE CATCHING WITH THEM??????? I TOLD THEM WE WERE CATCHING BIG FISH:big_smile::tounge_out::big_smile:

16. Larry Beever

Larry Beever New Member

State:
    Indianapolis Indiana
    I made this post, but NOT to stir any emotions.
    This is a fishing group is it not? Dont fishermen
    and women cut up LIVE fish to use for bait? Or take a LIVE worm and hook it several times. I just want to say that I think it's rediculous to get emotional about someone using a mouse for bait.I bet these same people would'nt hesitate to set a mouse trap in their homes and risk cathing a mouse by his leg only to suffer until he's disposed of.
    Is it because a mouse is cute? I think cows are cute too. But I'll still eat a steak. Do you???

17. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Just so everybody knows, I am not emotional about using mice for bait. I wouldn't do it, but if somebody else wants to, go for it. As far as catfish go, I would lay money that baitfish either live or cut, would be more productive than mice. The kitten comment was just a joke. I'm definantly not a PETA activist.

18. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Yeah I knew you were joking. But I wasn't,I would be glad to send anyone all the kittens/cats they want. If they use them for bait or pets I couldn't care less because I want them gone from here. They are breeding like crazy out in the woods behind my place and NONE of them belong to me. It's to the point to were I'm gonna have to start setting traps for them and have animal control pick them up. We have this stupid law that we can't kill them,but we can trap them and turn them over to animal contol. Witch makes NO since at all because they end up getting put to sleep/killed by them later.

19. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    now i have heard of using cats to catch mice, but mice to catch cats?:smile2: