Mice Deterrent

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Grimpuppy, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I found out on my last trip out that some mice moved into my boat. I completely went through the boat, installed traps and caught the pesky critters. I tried a couple "home" remedies I have heard of to keep them away. Bounce fabric sheets and moth balls. All was good for about a month. I noticed yesterday a bunch of foam chewed up on the floor and one Kat Bobber in a storage compartment was chewed to shreds. The little suckers are back. I live in the country, surrounded by beans/corn on 3 sides. So getting rid of all the mice isn't going to happen. I don't want any cats roaming around the house either. Any tried and trued methods of keeping them out of someplace you don't want them? Any suggestions? I am thinking of putting the garden hose in the drain and start filling the boat with water. Then shoot them suckers with the 12 gauge as they jump ship.

2. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    :big_smile:Sounds like you are in a farming area. I have used poisen that comes in bags. I get it by the bucket from Farm Burea Coop. It works good. Or those Just One Bite Bars work also. Poisen will work.

The only problems I have with critters in my boat is flys. lol :smile2:Those darn green ones during the summer. :big_smile: No critters in my boat now.

3. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I live in the country, too, and I feel your pain.

If it's an option, park your boat in the middle of an area that has been mowed short, or even better, burned off. The bottom of the food chain is a harsh mistress, and the little buggers really don't like wide open spaces.

4. CatAngler

CatAngler New Member

State:
    Omaha NE
    You might want to give those sticky traps a whirl along with your standard traps. Those little b@stards are tough to get rid of sometimes

Kat's idea sounds like a good one also.

J

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I'd go to a farm supply store for rat poison.
    There is stuff on the hog farm that is greenish blue and comes in bars kinda like a candy bar.
    You wont have any mice problems anymore.
    Every spring and fall I throw 3 or 4 up under the house.

I say farm supply store because you'll probally have more options and those options aren't necessarily aimed at a homeowner like they are in your typical grocery store or box store.

6. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    The water idea sounds like fun, but you may want to substitute a .22 with birdshot for the 12 gauge. Patching the boat is a hassle:smile2:

7. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    I use a big cat.she loves mice.

8. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Going to pick up some poison tonight. Thanks Guys

9. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Marks idea is a good one, I know Tractor supply has stuff you can use as well. Local feed stores, anything like them are going to give you some good ideas as well.
    :wink:

10. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    That rat poison bars from the farm store will kill mice but you can feed it to pack rats to dooms day and have no effect. They seem to love it or just pack it off and bury it. Also tried those rat sticky pads.
    They were building nest on top of the tractor engine and chewing on the battery cables. I finally gave up and moved the tractor from the barn to the garage.
    Last year they ate the low voltage wire thats under the house to the air conditioner outside unit. So I reran the wire without going under the house. Brick house, can't find a place where they are getting under the house unless they have tunnel under the foundation.

11. kfloyd

kfloyd New Member

State:
    mississippi
    The best thing to do is to move to the city around neighbor's that has:smile2: cat's.

12. SheLuvsCats

SheLuvsCats New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Hummmmmmmmm, now that is one I have found the greatest answer of all... One VERY LARGE FARM CAT..........and a VERY LARGE APPETITE...... but he must be quick on his feet or he's gone.....It's working for me, and I don't have to mess with the rat poison..... Sometimes I just resort to economical ideas, and the cat was the best one........

13. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hi Cathy and Kenny, here's a a big Welcome to BOC!

A cat could probably do a job on our pack rats... have to be a big mean one. :big_smile:

But the problem with a cat, we don't live there full time and wouldn't want to leave a cat unattended.

14. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I keep a Tokey Gecko in my home because I have Asma and have become intolerant to many chemicals after working for years in a chemical plant.I became sensitized to many chemicals I use to tolerate OK.Same thing happened with many medicines at the same time.I have had no more trouble with Rats,Mice or insects since using them for about 10 or 12 years.They will eat a fair size mouse and the smaller mobile rats when they first become active.I have no doubts that they will raid a rats nest and eat the young.They like a snake will eat things far larger than you would think.I never thought of them as mousers or ratters.They both stay away while I have a live Tokey working the house and return when the Gecko dies,only to disappear again upon a new Gecko arriving.

Works for me in South East Georgia.The Geckos seem to disappear around the hot water heater in cold weather and reappear in warm spells.

Now the Monitors that I use to keep were also excellent Mousers,Ratters and Snake eaters along with everything else that moved that they could catch.I was once leaning about 18 inches over my Tegu while cleaning it's cage.I felt like I had to sneeze and wiggled my nose.Big,big mistake.I suddenly had about 3 feet of lizard clamped on my nose while it twisted,turned and tried to tear my nose off of my face.They have a death roll and teeth like a small Gator.They also hang on as long as a Georgia Snapping Turtle.I had thought it was bad when my huge Toulouse Gander or that Pelican had gotten me by the nose.I found out that Goose and Pelican were pussycats beside that Tegu.I have been bitten by little Gators,Caiman,snakes and lizards but the Tegu was worse.Everything seems to bite me on the nose.Lizards,Geese,Pelicans,seagulls,Parrots and even two humans in a few disagreements.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

15. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    its ruff out there this time of yr.:eek:oooh:

16. labdog9099

labdog9099 New Member

State:
    texas
    go to your local pharamecy and get some mint oil in a bottle
    soak cotton balls and place in mice areas they dont like the aroma

17. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    I tried the mint and it works.

18. kfloyd

kfloyd New Member

State:
    mississippi
    thanks oldfin:big_smile:

19. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Yesterday was a very nice day. Almost reached 70°. So after work I decide to go out and try and get rid of this mouse problem. I have 4 snap traps, 3 glue traps and a block of poison in the boat. They wont touch any of it. The poison on the floor of the garage they ate like mad. But the rodent in the boat is a smart and crafty fellow. I start by cleaning all the front compartments of droppings with my shop vac. Then I turn my attention to the glove box. This is the enemies playground. I had a roll of paper towels in there that he absolutely destroyed, along with 3 Kat Bobbers. I get the glove box clean and turn my attention to his highway. This is under the gunnel behind the panel that the throttle is mounted on. There is an opening under the console. No other opening until you take a panel off at the rear. I frequently see chewed up foam on the floor under the console. I get my small 1 gal shop vac out and stick the hose under the console into the opening in the gunnel. The vac immediately plugs up. I pull it out and a big wad of paper towels. I continue this about 45 minutes. After unclogging the hose countless times and emptying the vac 4 times, I have about 4 feet of the gunnel clear. Then as usual the vac plugs again. I slowly pull it out to clear it, but loose the paper right before it makes it out. I reach in with my hand to grab it and I feel fur. I immediately pull my hand back and freak out for a couple of seconds. I am now in the trenches with the enemy. I stick the vac back in an it immediately plugs up. I slowly work the end of the hose and get it out of the hole with a HUGE pack rat stuck to the end. He is squeaking and begging for mercy, but there is no compassion to be had for this nemesis that has mocked me for the last month. After quickly and humanely dispatching him, I continue sucking crap out of the hole for 30 minutes. I blow air into the hole from the back to free stuff up and vac some more. I think I finally got it all after another hour and dumping the vac 3 more times. I guess when all else fails... go after them suckers with a sucker of your own. I never would have thought my shop vac would be what catches the pesky rodent.

20. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Thats the best thing I've read on here today.....LOL