Mexican Vanilla

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by Catgirl, Aug 6, 2006.

1. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Hi people! I hope someone can answer this question for me. My sister brought back a bottle of Mexican vanilla for me as a souvenir. Since I like to cook and bake, she figured I would use this and prefer it over some other trinket. My question is this: the bottle says it is double strength, so should I use just half the amount called for in a recipe? Or would the added power just make it taste BETTER? Any help would be appreciated.

2. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    Ain't much of a cook myself, buddy. But I'm sure if anybody can figure it out, you can. And if it ends up tastin' bad because of it....you got golden retrievers, still don't ya? lol.

-Red

3. borntocatfish

borntocatfish New Member

State:
    NW ohio
    yup try a batch as a test , then do either or
    :0a26:

4. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    my advice is to make 2 different batches of the same thing with the different measurements in each and see how it goes tanya....

ps.....smile:lol:

5. BamaCats

BamaCats Member

State:
    Alabama
    Hey Tanya, Lisa said just use it as you would regular vanilla, it should be the same thing. but go with dreamer 34 make two batches just to be sure.

6. janton311

janton311 New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    In my oppinion from my vast cooking knowledge. I would say... I have no idea id try it both ways...:lol:

7. turbinemanic

turbinemanic New Member

State:
    Arma Kansas
    Asked my wife she got a bottle of vinilla from mexico from her mom a couple of years ago. She said she uses to as the recipe calls for. No cutting it in half. I haven't been able to tell any difference. Hope this helps.:big_smile:

8. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    LA VENCEDORA Extracto De Vainilla
    Thats the brand my boy Brandin brought back for me. Every thing on the bottle is in Spanish,but it works for me!
    Use it as the recipe wants. I would think that the double strength is just a marketing ploy, you know, hype for the tourista. :big_smile: lol

9. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Saw the title to this thread and thought it was some kind of new dance craze! LOL:eek:oooh:

10. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You haven't been into the vanilla, have you Tom? lol

11. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    LMAO, looking for Tanya shaking her money maker. hehehe

12. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Yea!! Come on now people! Lets do the Mexican Vanilla! Yea! LOL:lol:

13. Tinboat

Tinboat New Member

State:
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    I'm not sure if the story is true or not, but I was told that the "mexican" vanilla had an alchohol base. It seems that the old time army cooks were drinking more of it than they were cooking with it, so in our infinite wisdom all that could be sold in this country was vanilla extract. I do remember using some years ago and it was wonderful stuff. I discount the double theory though.

14. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thats right Tinboat, my bottle has a 10% alcohol content. Thats why it keeps so long I guess. I have been using out of it for five years and have enough to last twenty more. lol:eek:oooh:

15. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    Cat girl cook some ting with it then E-mail it to me and I will let you know. if it's ok.

16. Dmitri

Dmitri New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Doesn't the vanilla extract in the US have alcohol in it also?

17. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Breck, yes, my regular old American bottle of vanilla extract says 35% alcohol content. So if Mexican vanilla is only 10%, it's actually LOWER. Maybe that is where the added flavor comes from, it isn't diluted by alcohol. The bottle my sis brought back doesn't list an alcohol content whatsoever. I haven't seen this thread in quite a while, and you guys crack me up. Come on everybody, join in and let's all do the "Mexican Vanilla". Tom will be leading! :lol:

18. greg

greg USCA - STAFF Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    GA/ Ia
    Tanya: go 1/2 or 1/4 as mexican vanilla is very strong!!

19. shelli davis

shelli davis New Member

State:
    missouri
    hi catgirl i've tried the mexican and it worls well either way i found in pancakes, cookies, and stuff that little extra vanilla is nice

20. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Got a bottle of home made for Christmas. Vodka with a vanilla bean in it. Haven't tried it yet but it smells like vanilla.