Metropolis Boat Ramp/Ohio River

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by BKS72, Dec 28, 2009.

1. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Hey, I'm looking for some information on the boat ramp in Metropolis, IL. I'll be in IL over the weekend and I'm thinking about dragging the boat over and putting in at Metropolis to get some Ohio river water on the ol' tub:big_smile: Looks like it's on a 4' rise over the next few days, but should still be OK if the weather is halfway decent.

From what I can see on Google earth it looks like the ramp is at the end of Market St. and I was wondering what condition the ramp is in (ice, snow, etc) and if it opens or closes at a certain time.

Also, it looks like there's a power plant just down river on the Kentucky side. I'll have my dad with me and was wondering if that might be any good for catfish or stripers this time of year? The trip is more about getting out of the house and being out on the water with the ol' man than it is for fish, but a fish or two would be a nice bonus.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Branden

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Branden there is another ramp located in Fort Massac State Park, about 1 1/2 miles east of the area you mentioned. I think the river gambling boat took over the area of the old boat ramp, on market street. I live about thirty miles away and don't know of any ice conditions at this time. You might want to check with the state park to see if there is open access. If I can be of anymore help let me know. There is a power plant across river and a few miles west of the park ramp, on Kentucky's side. You should be able to get bait at the power plant discharge and maybe catch a few Ohio cats. Massac Ranger station # 618-524-4712.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009

3. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Thanks a million, Mickey! You just saved me a couple of hours of running around looking for a ramp instead of a riverboat full of slot machines:big_smile:

4. Mickey

State:
    Illinois
    I just edited my post and gave you a phone # for contact.There is also a ramp on the Kentucky side at the north end of Broadway.

5. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Dang Branden, you're getting around!

6. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I got two weeks off, Doug, what else am I going to do:smile2: Seriously, though, it's just working out that way. We wound up in Arkansas for Christmas and that was just too close to CC not to go and then Eric decided he'd go to IL with my mom when we left Arkansas so I have to go over that way to pick him up this weekend. Figured I might as well drag the boat over and try some new water.

After seeing those guys catching stripers at CC I thought it might be fun to try and catch a couple of those on a new river - I've never been on the Ohio and neither has dad. :big_smile:

7. Mickey

State:
    Illinois
    Branden check your PM. I've got some more info for you.

8. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Got it Mickey and just replied. Can't thank you enough for all the help! Sorry for the late response I was out working on the dang truck to get it ready to go:wink: